Swapping front left and right tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-11, 08:29 AM
mercurymet
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping front left and right tires

Hello folks,

my inner front tire threads are way overworn compared to the outside. I just got new tires about 10 months ago when I noticed wires sticking out the inside.

I'm thinking about swapping the right and left fronts to double inner edge life.
Has any on done this on the OEM fronts?

What about a slight alignment adjustment as well?
Old 06-18-11, 08:35 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

How many miles have u driven on those tires and what brand? SP2s only have 15K thread life, per manu.
Old 06-18-11, 08:53 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

The OEM tires uses an asymmetric tread design so there is a specific inside and outside of the tire. The outside wall of the tire is stamped outside and must remain on the outside. Another issue, if you own an '08 or '09 is that the wheels are position specific on the car due to the design of the wheel spokes. My opinion, you own an expensive, exclusive hi-performance car. Get a new set of tires An alignment couldn't hurt, there's much written on the subject in these forums.

Lou
Old 06-18-11, 08:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

^^ what he said. stock tires i believe are asymmetric and there is no way you can flip them, the insides are still going to be insides

time to get new tires, no way out. if you really want to flip the tires, get directional tires.
Old 06-18-11, 09:00 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by PurduePete
How many miles have u driven on those tires and what brand? SP2s only have 15K thread life, per manu.
PS2 or RE050A...they're good for an average of 15k. Since I don't drive my car hard and it sees a lot of freeway mileage, I got 35k from my factory PS2s.
Old 06-18-11, 10:49 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
PS2 or RE050A...they're good for an average of 15k. Since I don't drive my car hard and it sees a lot of freeway mileage, I got 35k from my factory PS2s.
Did you have any wire visible @35K?
Old 06-18-11, 11:00 AM
mercurymet
Driver

Thanks folks,

I guess I'll get something with symmetric treads the next time so I can do a right left tire swap halfway.

Tire maintenance cost are adding up..I guess that's the cost of having a heavy high power car...and heavy right foot.
Old 06-18-11, 12:14 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

To "mercurymet",

What brand & model tire did you install 10 months ago??

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
The OEM tires uses an asymmetric tread design so there is a specific inside and outside of the tire. The outside wall of the tire is stamped outside and must remain on the outside. Another issue, if you own an '08 or '09 is that the wheels are position specific on the car due to the design of the wheel spokes. My opinion, you own an expensive, exclusive hi-performance car. Get a new set of tires An alignment couldn't hurt, there's much written on the subject in these forums.

Lou
The PS2's are stamped and corner specific.. They match the 08-09 Wheels .. LoL

But from memory, I do not think the Bridgestones are stamped like that...
So (I think) they could be dis-mounted & re-mounted from left to right at all 4 corners..

But is it worth it???

The risk alone (rim damage) for the process would make it a NO for me..

I guess the 2010+ wheel owners could swap easier Left to Right.. But it wouldn't help much if there is inner wear happening.. Plus, also depends on which tire is installed..

EDIT: The OEM Bridgestone RE050A's are marked "Outside"

Regards,

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 06-19-11 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-18-11, 12:35 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^Joe, I don't often disagree with you, but the Bridgestone RE050A is indeed an asymmetric tire. I don't have them, but have seen them and have seen the word Outside stamped on the sidewall. See attached for tread design.

Lou
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-11, 01:40 PM
mercurymet
Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
To "mercurymet",

What brand & model tire did you install 10 months ago??

The PS2's are stamped and corner specific.. They match the 08-09 Wheels .. LoL

But from memory, I do not think the Bridgestones are stamped like that...
So (I think) they could be dis-mounted & re-mounted from left to right at all 4 corners..

But is it worth it???

The risk alone (rim damage) for the process would make it a NO for me..

I guess the 2010+ wheel owners could swap easier Left to Right.. But it wouldn't help much if there is inner wear happening.. Plus, also depends on which tire is installed..

Regards,

~ Joe Z
They are bridgestone RE050A.

I got back from tracking yesterday and let an instructor drive the car hard and didn't actually look at the tire...avoidance/denial/guilt of potentially shelling out more bucks for tires so soon.

Turns out that they not as badly worn as I thought. I was going by finger feel along the groove between the peripheral inside thread and adjacent thread. When I actually looked today, turns out the outer groove is actually deeper. Plus the compound is 280 instead of the stock 120.

What kinda damage is there for swapping tires? My rims are stock, with road rash galore and scraps when I torqued wrenched over a spoke.
Old 06-18-11, 02:20 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by OneSiCkF
Did you have any wire visible @35K?
The fronts...yes and barely. I never got around to doing a 4 wheel alignment when I did my suspension drop. I'm sure I could have got more than 35k if I aligned it immediately.
Old 06-18-11, 06:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I got 30k out of my Bridgestone rears with three track weekends on them. They were still technically legal when they came off.

Fronts will last long with good alignment. I have 20k on mine and they are just showing signs of the inner edge death. I'm beginning to believe there is bump steer in the front causing the fronts to toe out under braking which shortens inside edge life. I also suspect replacing the very large liquid filled bushing at the rear of the LCA with a solid pillowball bearing would remediate the issue.

I'm at the track again this weekend, and I'm seeing the usual track problems - lots of outside tread block wear. I'll take some pics at the end of the day tomorrow and update the alignment thread.
Old 06-18-11, 06:18 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

let us know lobux
Old 06-18-11, 07:28 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Align the care with 0 toe and it will wear better.
Old 06-18-11, 08:18 PM
mercurymet
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I got 30k out of my Bridgestone rears with three track weekends on them. They were still technically legal when they came off.

Fronts will last long with good alignment. I have 20k on mine and they are just showing signs of the inner edge death. I'm beginning to believe there is bump steer in the front causing the fronts to toe out under braking which shortens inside edge life. I also suspect replacing the very large liquid filled bushing at the rear of the LCA with a solid pillowball bearing would remediate the issue.

I'm at the track again this weekend, and I'm seeing the usual track problems - lots of outside tread block wear. I'll take some pics at the end of the day tomorrow and update the alignment thread.
So tracking allows you to potentially have more even front tire wear cause you wear the outer edge of the outer front tire?

I didn't like how the F sways a lot at the track. Have you upgraded your rear sway and if so how well did it reduce sway?

Quick Reply: Swapping front left and right tires