IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Water Pump leaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-12, 10:57 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

hrmm... Just checked mine and noticed a little bit of the pink crystalized coolant that some of you had mentioned. Not a lot, from what I can see, but I'm sure its enough since my reservoir tank is low. Wonder how much this is going to cost me if I bring it into the dealer since its not under warranty. :/
Old 09-03-12, 12:57 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Inquire with your local dealer, where you bought the car from, for good-will repair. Otherwise, a well-trusted indie shop can do the same job for much less than dealer.

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
hrmm... Just checked mine and noticed a little bit of the pink crystalized coolant that some of you had mentioned. Not a lot, from what I can see, but I'm sure its enough since my reservoir tank is low. Wonder how much this is going to cost me if I bring it into the dealer since its not under warranty. :/
Old 09-14-12, 06:44 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Where are you in Norcal ih8ricerz? I went to serramonte, we should both go and make a stink a Lexus because i'm just out of warranty and they claim they will only cover the part but I'm not happy with this since this is clearly a defect.

I'm supposed to take mine in next week.
Old 09-19-12, 03:48 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My coolant seems to disappear pretty fast. Everytime I get a 5k oil change, they top it off and by the next oil change, it's below the low line and I have to put coolant in before my scheduled oil change. I checked for leaks under the hood and I didn't see any leakage or pink residue. I only looked from the top. My mechanic never notified me of any leakage before. Is this normal for the ISF to use so much coolant? I use the Toyota pink coolant. Thanks.
Old 09-19-12, 04:04 PM
kteng7
Driver

Just curious any water pump leaking for the 09 ? or 08 mostly?
Old 09-19-12, 04:32 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by zazzn
Where are you in Norcal ih8ricerz? I went to serramonte, we should both go and make a stink a Lexus because i'm just out of warranty and they claim they will only cover the part but I'm not happy with this since this is clearly a defect.

I'm supposed to take mine in next week.
I'm in Newark/Fremont... I ended up buying a jug of the Toyota/Lexus coolant ($32) to top off my reservoir myself so now I can monitor how fast its leaking.
Old 09-19-12, 07:49 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a closed loop cooling system and it shouldn't need to top off coolant. See Supraman's picture in post #5, around the pulley and belt area.

Originally Posted by ShadowISF
My coolant seems to disappear pretty fast. Everytime I get a 5k oil change, they top it off and by the next oil change, it's below the low line and I have to put coolant in before my scheduled oil change. I checked for leaks under the hood and I didn't see any leakage or pink residue. I only looked from the top. My mechanic never notified me of any leakage before. Is this normal for the ISF to use so much coolant? I use the Toyota pink coolant. Thanks.
Old 09-19-12, 09:14 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by avgj0F
It's a closed loop cooling system and it shouldn't need to top off coolant. See Supraman's picture in post #5, around the pulley and belt area.
Thanks. I saw that post and I was looking in that area but couldn't see anything. From what you say, more than likely I have a leak.

I will get it checked out when I get my oil change soon. I'm crossing my fingers but it's probably gonna look bad under the car...
Old 10-15-12, 07:10 PM
Super6
Driver

Park Place in Plano is replacing the h2o pumpsticle and radiator at no charge thanks to the Lexi extended warranty=great successticles!(
Old 10-15-12, 07:51 PM
Petshark
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just checked my coolant and it is below the low line but I looked and there is no sign of a leak. Any ideas?
Old 10-15-12, 08:15 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm in Newark/Fremont... I ended up buying a jug of the Toyota/Lexus coolant ($32) to top off my reservoir myself so now I can monitor how fast its leaking.
I don't think it leaks that fast as mine was leaking as well and i have an 08, but i don't know how long it's been leaking for. I only add maybe once every 6 months? And when I do, it's very minimal. Dealer charged me $500 to replace it, which included a full coolant flush as well...I think maybe they saved me $50 or so because they replaced the water pump when they dropped the engine out of my car to replace the transmission.
Old 10-19-12, 02:59 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was replaced luckily.
Would you guys expect that new part number will make this last a long time?
Old 10-20-12, 12:52 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Petshark
I just checked my coolant and it is below the low line but I looked and there is no sign of a leak. Any ideas?
Yeah my car does this a lot too but dealership said it's not leaking...
Old 10-25-12, 03:23 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Checked mine today while changing my oil and the usual crystallized coolant has leaked down the from of the block. Mine is an 09 as well to make it more interesting. This should really be a recalled part right?
Old 10-25-12, 03:29 PM
Petshark
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pqbrown
Checked mine today while changing my oil and the usual crystallized coolant has leaked down the from of the block. Mine is an 09 as well to make it more interesting. This should really be a recalled part right?
Idk about recall, but should be covered by lexus even outside of the warranty. Did you take it. The dealership? Lexus is usually pretty good about working something out with you. Mines an 08 and I noticed the coolant was a little low but there was no sign of a leak, so I topped it off and it's been staying full since.

Quick Reply: Water Pump leaking