IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Clear Bra Install Pics - Questions and Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-11, 08:20 PM
Madoshi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra Install Pics - Questions and Concerns

Hi Guys. First post here on CL, but have lurking for awhile. Sorry for the long post. I couldn't include all of the pictures I wanted. Zip file upload failed.

I purchased a new 2010 ISF from a local Houston dealer about a month ago. They used it as their demo car and had 400 miles on it, had small paint chip on the passenger side fender, but other than that, it was in brand new shape.

I had the Joe-Z Exhaust installed by the dealer yesterday and it is absolutely amazing sounding.

I wanted to protect the paint and asked the dealer to do an install, but later decided to not have them do it, but have a local clear bra and tint installer do it. I was recommended to him and on other car forums, people said his jobs were good. I lined up a local Zaino detailer to work on my car as well and for the clear bra to be installed over 2 days. The Clear Bra installer loaned me his car which was nice. After having the Clear Bra installed it makes me feel like "blah" about the car.

I had them do a Full Hood (Custom ordered, Xpel Ultimate sheet), Full Fenders, Headlights and Fog Lights, Front Bumper, A-Frame and Partial Roof, Front Mirrors, Front Rocker Section but not the trim under the doors.

Edit - Avery Dennison Nano Fusion was used for the other sections.

The owner of the company did the install. There was a delay with the shipment of the Full Hood so it took them three days. The install took place between Tuesday and Thursday. I picked the car up very early in the morning on Friday. A buddy of his let me inside the shop to pick up the car and we agreed to pay for it later. The owner lives close to me so I am going to meet him sometime this weekend to pay. I also will be showing him the imperfections and problems with the install.

I have never seen a professionally installed Clear Bra in person, let alone a full hood, fenders and bumper. The only ones I've seen are 18" hoods and partial fenders. If some of the items below are acceptable, like the bubbles, let me know. Bubbles aren't so bad, but if someone is checking out the car and doesn't know about the Clear Bra, they almost look like white paint chips.

I have yet to pay for the job and it was a little over $1700. I can tell him, I won't pay until it is perfect, but I don't want to **** the guy off. How should he have installed some of the pieces and how should he fix the pieces going forward? With the 4-5 small bubbles in the hood, will he have to do the whole thing over? What about the particles under some of the pieces? Have to redo those parts? Does it look like he used a heat gun? It seems like every single piece has some sort of issues, be it small or large.

If he offers to use a small needle and syringe to remove the air bubbles, is this acceptable or no?

Any advice and recommendations is very much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Pictures will be split up by Fingers, Edges, Bubbles, Particles under Bra, Surface Imperfections and Regular Car Pics. I attempted to attach a zip file, but the forum said that a security token was missing. File is about 10 megs.

Fingers in Clear Bra

Passenger Side Mirror

Driver Side Mirror

Passenger Side Headlight

Driver Headlights

Bumper Grill Driver Side

Passenger Fog Light Area

Lower Bumper Passenger Side

Edges not Sealed

Passenger Side Roof

Driver Side Roof

Roof Edge 2

Passenger Headlight Bubble

Passenger Fender Bubbles

Driver Side Fender/Hood Bubbles - White spots are Bubbles

Driver Side Fender/Hood Bubbles 2 - White spots are Bubbles

Bubbles on Edge of Hood Near Wiper

Particles under Clear Bra

Driver Side Fog Light Area

Thread under Bra

Thread under Bra - Close Up

Driver Side Fender Vent - Lent or threads?

Particle under Bra - Passenger Fender Vent - Large white Spot

Roof Particle under Bra

Sretch Marks or Imperfections

Lines on Hood

Lines on Hood from above with White Marks at the End

Waves - Used the Tree Reflection to Show it

White Marks on Mirror

Last edited by Madoshi; 04-30-11 at 08:50 PM. Reason: URL & Clear Bra film type
Old 04-30-11, 08:21 PM
Madoshi
Driver School Candidate

Default Continued.. Regular Car Pics

Continued....

Regular Car Pics

End of Long Post. Wow.
Old 04-30-11, 09:11 PM
Drone619
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would complain. Thats a half a$$ job they did, especially for 1700 bucks.
Old 04-30-11, 09:14 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to say man... You got ripped off AND they did a **** poor job. Looks like they are really inexperienced. I'd tell them to either re-do or fix all the problematic areas, or just take it off and get your money back.
Old 04-30-11, 09:49 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look at the pics, ENOUGH SAID.
Old 04-30-11, 09:55 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoever recommended the guy should pay for your bill.
Old 04-30-11, 11:13 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

so did you pay it?
Old 04-30-11, 11:52 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

That's a complete do-over. Best of luck.
Old 05-01-11, 04:14 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default May never achieve perfection with an install that big.

You may never obtain perfection with an install that large unless they have a clean-room to do the install. The smaller issues where the material hasn't been fit properly around the various curved surfaces can be redone however. Good luck!
Old 05-01-11, 05:49 AM
J2K
Pole Position

I would expect an imperfection or two, but I lost count of all the problem areas in your pictures. And as others have said, for $1700 you ought to be getting a damn near perfect installation. I had some similar issues with my installation and I made the guy drive back to my house (150 miles) and reinstall my hood wrap. Good luck!
Old 05-01-11, 07:21 AM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

I have the same issue around my mirrors and the guy I had do it told me that if I get them, he will trim a little more off. He said it is a tough call trying to get as much coverage as possible or start out small covering less so those areas that look like that can be fixed with some trimming. I was also told small bubbles would work themselves out after a bit and they did. The large ones will not but personally don't feel using a syringe is a bad thing as I bet they all do that but before you take delivery so you just don't know it. The pieces of debris are obviously not acceptable.
Old 05-01-11, 08:00 AM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They obviously didn't get that they were working on a $60K Lexus. Show the owner the window sticker with the MSRP on it and ask him if he would accept the work you got if the car was his.
Old 05-01-11, 09:14 AM
Madoshi
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the posts so far.

I have yet to meet him, so I haven't paid. That will be a strange conversation about the money. I'm not sure of the best way to handle the payment. I want the job redone, but if I pay, he could just delay it or not return my calls. He also said that if I pay by cash, then he will leave the tax off. Is that a red flag? Could he later say he didn't do the install and not guarantee it because tax wasn't included?

This installer has been in the business for many years and is a Certified Installer. What is also strange is, this guy has been recommended on this very forum. There are several posts with his installs and his picture and they said the job was good. I haven't seen any posts about the company in the past 1-2 years though.

When I picked up the car, I noticed small white particles on top of my car and the guy with me said that stuff sometimes falls from the ceiling. It looks like the stuff that is under the Bra, except for the hair or thread which is retarded. How can you miss that? They have one large garage with three lanes for cars and the three large rolling doors are open while they do installs. I wonder if I should ask him to do the whole install at my house in my garage one weekend? Only thing is, we wouldn't be able to close the garage since it is your typical small one story house attached garage. And there is pollen all over the place, hmm maybe not a good idea, but his place isn't super clean either.

I was more concerned about the hood before the install took place. I was going to do a 24", but he said he could do the full hood. So I went with that. The only issues are the bubbles are the edges and those weird lines. Not as bad as the other stuff. Should the hood be redone?

I wonder if he was even using a heat gun. When I first picked up the car, the bottom of the fender, that goes under the grill had a single long piece of Bra on it. At the edge on the right, about 1 inch of it was sticking straight up in the air. I pressed it down, but couldn't believe that something that obvious was missed. After pressing it down it looks like the below:
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...rea-Finger.jpg

Thanks,
Madoshi
Old 05-01-11, 09:56 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

The local supermarket can do a better job than that.
Old 05-01-11, 10:41 AM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Talk to the installer. You shouldn't have dirt under the bra. That part should get fixed or you two agree on a reduced price for the job. Air bubbles can get worked out but hair is forever. The work area should have been sprayed down with water before the job started to keep the dust down and a ground strap attached to the car to reduce static charges.

Paying cash and getting a tax break isn't anything new. Some call it "internet sales". You don't pay the tax and the seller sticks the money in his pocket, under the table, off the books, etc.. You still have the receipt to prove that he did the work. I would get the work done to your satisfaction and price before paying for the job. Once you pay, he will not be as willing to work on your car.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra Install Pics - Questions and Concerns