IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

paint protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 04:25 PM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default paint protection

how important it is to get the clear paint protection done? The price i was quoted is $2500 for the full hood, fenders, mirrors and the bumper for my black ISF.

is it worth $2500?
Old 04-18-11, 04:42 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a lot of cash to me but most dealers do the half hood and no fenders. Shop around your area to see if that's a reasonable price.
Old 04-18-11, 04:43 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Extremely important Lexus paint is notoriously soft and chip quickly I pick up my first chip within first two weeks of ownership on my F, it's good investment but shop around the price is a little high
Old 04-18-11, 04:53 PM
J2K
Pole Position

That price is beyond a little high. That price is ridiculous. You can get all of that done by a 3rd party installer in the $750 - $1000 range. I definitely recommend getting the PPF, but do yourself a favor and go elsewhere.
Old 04-18-11, 07:01 PM
rhy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$2500 is way too much. You can do partial hood / partial fenders for $600-900, depending on material used and the particular shop. Full hood / full fenders is $1100-1200. Both of these include bumper, headlights and mirrors.

Shop around, you can do much better on pricing. While researching clear bra prices recently, some quotes were over double the price of others. All were by reputable shops.
Old 04-18-11, 08:04 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

For that price, it is a rip-off. Are we talking about the same thing here, that is, the 3M or some other brand, clear wrap? $2500, sounds like an actual spray from a body shop. The 3M wrap should be anywhere from $700 - $1K.
Old 04-18-11, 08:10 PM
Newlexluvr
Driver School Candidate

I got the clear bra on the fenders, bumber, front of the hood, inside the door handles, door edges and on the front of the side mirrors. I also had the outside paint protection done for about $700. Its been 5 years and I just took the clear bra off and bought some Zaino.

If I could do it over again I would have only got the clear bra and bought zaino. That stuff is ridiculous. Just gave my car the zaino treatment and that is one hell of a product. Plain stupid results for about 100 bucks for the entire kit and a total of 6 hours invested in applying the z2, z5 and ZFS.

Get it you wont ever look back and you will save yourself $2500 bucks.

www.zaino.com
Old 04-18-11, 08:13 PM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

I thought the price is that high because it is CA and bay area maybe and that shop does very high end cars like Ferrari's and Porsche.
Old 04-18-11, 08:42 PM
rhy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Newlexluvr
I got the clear bra on the fenders, bumber, front of the hood, inside the door handles, door edges and on the front of the side mirrors. I also had the outside paint protection done for about $700. Its been 5 years and I just took the clear bra off and bought some Zaino.

If I could do it over again I would have only got the clear bra and bought zaino. That stuff is ridiculous. Just gave my car the zaino treatment and that is one hell of a product. Plain stupid results for about 100 bucks for the entire kit and a total of 6 hours invested in applying the z2, z5 and ZFS.

Get it you wont ever look back and you will save yourself $2500 bucks.

www.zaino.com
Zaino is good stuff but won't prevent paint chips from flying debris. Also, clear bra technology has improved quite a bit in the last 5 years. The common problems (yellowing, orange peel) have been eliminated for the most part.
Old 04-19-11, 07:23 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, some sort of paint protection film is well worth it. But 2500 is too much. I got the front portion of the hood and fenders done for free. The dealer ate the cost of $400. It was part of deal when I bought it.
Old 04-25-11, 06:30 AM
clearbraj
Driver School Candidate

The price of $2500 ($2300 is a little more reasonable) is not out of line if this is a premium film (Xpel ultimate with ventureshield hood pattern). The hood is over 62" wide and requires 60" film stretched to fit. This full kit is not the standard everyone is discussing on this thread. This price should include full wrapping of fenders, hood and bumper. This vehicle is one of the more difficult installs Plus it is black.

another reason this price is 2500 could also be bulk installation - tight fitments. There are only a few premium installations who do this well. Just my thoughts.

If you get let expensive thats great.

Last edited by clearbraj; 04-25-11 at 06:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-25-11, 07:10 AM
rhy
Pole Position

^^ There's no excuse for paying $2500, that's mostly profit. XPEL Premium is their most expensive film available at 60" rolls. It still costs half the price installed. It's a bulk job, there are no full hood kits for the IS-F out there using XPEL.
Old 04-25-11, 09:57 AM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

it is complete wrap for hood, fenders, bumper and mirrors. Also my car color is black. I tried to get few more quotes but most of them are in the same range. One guy gave me a quote for $1600 cash only. I am not sure of the job quality though. This place is expensive but i looked at the cars they have done and it is simply awesome. Now I need to decide do I spend that much money or get the hood repainted at a later date.
Old 04-25-11, 11:42 AM
clearbraj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rhy
^^ There's no excuse for paying $2500, that's mostly profit. XPEL Premium is their most expensive film available at 60" rolls. It still costs half the price installed. It's a bulk job, there are no full hood kits for the IS-F out there using XPEL.

Just to clarify: Digital designs ( ventureshield/3M) has a full hood, wrap and unwrap for this vehicle. You use any film you want. The new XPEL premium film is Ultimate this is much better than their orginial Premium film.
Old 04-25-11, 12:23 PM
rhy
Pole Position

Yes, VentureShield has had a 60" roll for a while. What is this new XPEL Ultimate film? It doesn't appear on their web site. My car went in for a full hood/fender wrap with XPEL Premium today, I think they'll start working on it tomorrow. Might be worth switching to Ultimate in the last second

Quick Reply: paint protection