IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

interior rattles.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-10, 04:29 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default interior rattles.

is it just me or do you guy s have rattles too?

its driving me crazy! i took it to the dealer already 3 times and they act like they fixed it but after 2 mins on the road the rattles begin again.

1. rattle in driver part of dash. when i put pressure on dash rattle goes away.
2.glovebox rattle, the glovebox is so light that every little bump or sway in the car makes the damn glovebox rattle.
3.driver side seat belt retract rattle, as im going down the road there is a rattle that sounds like a piece of the seat belt retractor is loose.
4.shifter rattles i have no idea what part but everytime i start the car or accelerate above 3,000 rpm the damn shifter rattles.
5. roof crunches as i go up a driveway or enter a parking lot. like the roof has arthritis. :
6.driver seat squeak, everytime i position myself into the back part of the seat there is a squeak.
Old 12-18-10, 04:34 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i have two of those as well
i dont think anything can really be done
and its annoying even trying to pinpoint where its coming from
rattles will happen as it gets older
just like ur bones will crack when u do
listen to a tune and it will help u forget
thats what I do
Old 12-18-10, 06:18 PM
conlaurant
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a fix for that, i'm getting it done monday. Some clips beneath the dash that wear out are the cause of the problem. Supposedly they replace the clips with a better design. My dealer apparently has done several over the last year. So far know one has complained about the problem returning. Check with your dealer, there has to be a service bulletin out for this. Mine has it
Old 12-18-10, 08:21 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have part # or LSB #?

Originally Posted by conlaurant
There's a fix for that, i'm getting it done monday. Some clips beneath the dash that wear out are the cause of the problem. Supposedly they replace the clips with a better design. My dealer apparently has done several over the last year. So far know one has complained about the problem returning. Check with your dealer, there has to be a service bulletin out for this. Mine has it
Old 12-18-10, 09:29 PM
matt310
Rookie

This requires the entire dashboard to be removed to get at and replace those clips. It could introduce many more rattles if this procedure isn't done properly, so make sure the dealership has performed this repair before and you're not the first!!
Old 12-18-10, 11:24 PM
JPcoISF
Driver School Candidate

I have noticed 2 rattles. The first one comes from the glovebox and the little shelf in it to hold the instruction manuals. If the manuals are in there, then there is no rattle but if the manual are removed then the shelf rattles.

The other rattle came from the dash right above the speedometer. Any bump in the road would make a little rattle....that was incredibly annoying especially considering I've got some pretty bumpy roads/highways on my daily commute to work.

I had the dash rattle fixed under warranty. It did take a day though. I think they had to remove the entire dash but now the rattle is completely gone.
Old 12-19-10, 06:59 AM
conlaurant
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=conlaurant;6004577]There's a fix for that, i'm getting it done monday. Some clips beneath the dash that wear out are the cause of the problem. Supposedly they replace the clips with a better design. My dealer apparently has done several over the last year. So far know one has complained about the problem returning. Check with your dealer, there has to be a service bulletin out for this. Mine has it

Ok correction, I was informed that the TSB is for the IS250, where they replace the clips near the windshield. For the F, they are not sure if it will be the same procedure, and if not, they would insulate the areas to correct the noise issue. Yes, there could be more issues when taking apart an entire dash but for me it will be worth it. Mine pops consistently even over the smallest bumps. As for experience, they have the same tech that performs all the dash board removals, LS,ES,GS etc and he has done many without further incidents. Providing it does not snow here, I have an appointment Monday for this repair.
Old 12-19-10, 07:05 AM
zojirushi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a rattle in every single car I've ever owned including my isf. Not saying that it is justified to have rattles in a 60k+ car but I've learned to deal with it. IMO, it's not worth worrying about every little detail, just drive your car and have fun with it! Good luck!
Old 12-19-10, 10:59 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I have an 09 with 18K on it and the only rattle I've heard is one from the driver's side dash, but really really far in-between.

I've got a thing for dash rattles, I take it to the dealer no matter how many times they say they can't reproduce it. We all pay premium $ for luxury brands so our standards should be high. Just my $0.02. Please don't deal with it, make them accountable and have them fix it.
Old 12-19-10, 04:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

The first thing to do is read this thread. You'd be amazed how much of this noise is a seal problem, not a dash/shifter/door problem.
Old 12-19-10, 06:01 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine sounds more like a piece of hard plastic rubbing against another hard surface to give a "clicking / ticking noise". I would hate to have a dont-care-sloppy tech to remove the entire dash to fix the noise.

Originally Posted by JPcoISF
I have noticed 2 rattles. The first one comes from the glovebox and the little shelf in it to hold the instruction manuals. If the manuals are in there, then there is no rattle but if the manual are removed then the shelf rattles.

The other rattle came from the dash right above the speedometer. Any bump in the road would make a little rattle.... that was incredibly annoying especially considering I've got some pretty bumpy roads/highways on my daily commute to work.

I had the dash rattle fixed under warranty. It did take a day though. I think they had to remove the entire dash but now the rattle is completely gone.

Last edited by avgj0F; 12-19-10 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-20-10, 02:05 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by lx470man
is it just me or do you guy s have rattles too?

its driving me crazy! i took it to the dealer already 3 times and they act like they fixed it but after 2 mins on the road the rattles begin again.

1. rattle in driver part of dash. when i put pressure on dash rattle goes away.
2.glovebox rattle, the glovebox is so light that every little bump or sway in the car makes the damn glovebox rattle.
3.driver side seat belt retract rattle, as im going down the road there is a rattle that sounds like a piece of the seat belt retractor is loose.
4.shifter rattles i have no idea what part but everytime i start the car or accelerate above 3,000 rpm the damn shifter rattles.
5. roof crunches as i go up a driveway or enter a parking lot. like the roof has arthritis. :
6.driver seat squeak, everytime i position myself into the back part of the seat there is a squeak.
You've had your IS F as long as many of us had ours since it was new. I think already know by now that all 2IS have some kind of rattle issue at one point in time, more so with the F due to the suspension. I suggest you try a different Lexus dealer if you're not satisfied with the results.
Old 12-20-10, 10:12 AM
ISF FAN
Pole Position

My 08 had similar noises originating from the dash. Dealer first removed the dash and placed in additional 'insulation' to reduce vibration related noises. As the sound persisted, they removed the dash, replaced a broken clip and infact replaced the entire dash. Much better now however during cold driving, some sounds try to creep back.
Old 12-20-10, 10:58 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

I'm starting to have the rattles too on my 350. So far, it's not that annoying to me yet. I wonder if Dynamat will help solve this problem? Anybody know?
Old 12-20-10, 12:59 PM
TURBOCARS
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had rattle from glove box (shelf) and sound from driver side seat belt area. All of that was fixed under warranty. The only problem I have now is condensation in my driver side headlight. They said there is a crack underneath the headlight.

Quick Reply: interior rattles.