IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Reconsidering the Factory Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-15, 12:19 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

^ Lobuxracer have you upgraded your LCA bushing?
Old 07-01-15, 12:58 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Except under acceleration and in motion, you get toe out too. Just not as much as braking. That's why it's a big balancing act to figure out what static setting gives best dynamic compliance.

If it weren't for NVH, we'd be way better off with spherical bearings and get rid of all the rubber junk.

Agreed, theoretically spherical bearings are the solution for pure race track application, but since the NVH is excessive, a 95 durometer poly bushing and redesigned thrust loaded housing is the next best thing.

Under braking the toe out effect is obvious... under lateral deflections of the suspension, all kinds of non-symmetric toe and caster changes occur which really mess with handling and steering response.

There is definitely a heightened sense of steering feel with our USRS, but I would not say that NVH is excessive by any means, unless you expect your ISF to feel like an LS.

I recall an old C&D article about the E36 M3 steering, and the author remarked that your hands can feel a quarter in on the road through the steering wheel as go over it... I think it was a bit of an exaggeration, but that was partly our goal with the USRS, to really get that steering feel that the ISF and other Lexus models lack.

-Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 07-01-15, 01:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Defratos
^ Lobuxracer have you upgraded your LCA bushing?
Not yet. Waiting to receive my LSD from Speedfreaks.
Old 07-02-15, 10:49 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

So I added some font toe out myself today (thanks for the instruction Lubox). I felt a difference in highway stability, feels maybe 30% better with an occasional wandering under acceleration. I think the tires and spacers account for the rest of the feeling I am getting. I did immediately notice the improved turn in...I like it much better. Overall I am happy with the set up as is, I think the highway driving part is just something I have to her accostumed to.

I plan on getting front LCA bushings (either figs or RR) and camber arms for the rear. My rear cross camber is pretty bad - 1.5 and -2.2. Surprising to me since I am on swift springs in the front and stock in the rear.
Old 07-02-15, 11:13 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Vervish
So I added some font toe out myself today (thanks for the instruction Lubox). I felt a difference in highway stability, feels maybe 30% better with an occasional wandering under acceleration. I think the tires and spacers account for the rest of the feeling I am getting. I did immediately notice the improved turn in...I like it much better. Overall I am happy with the set up as is, I think the highway driving part is just something I have to her accostumed to.

I plan on getting front LCA bushings (either figs or RR) and camber arms for the rear. My rear cross camber is pretty bad - 1.5 and -2.2. Surprising to me since I am on swift springs in the front and stock in the rear.
Did you make sure all your tires were correctly inflated when you checked the alignment? I have only rarely seen alignment techs who set pressure before they start. It is critical to success.
Old 07-02-15, 11:47 AM
Vervish
Racer

Yes. I was/am running 40psi all around. The idea is to run slightly higher pressure in the hopes of slightly stiffening the sidewall.

Should I run stock pressures?
Old 07-02-15, 12:01 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Not yet. Waiting to receive my LSD from Speedfreaks.
Ok have you decided which one of the two LCA bushings you will be going for? Figs or RR? if you don't mind me asking.
Old 07-02-15, 03:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Yes. I was/am running 40psi all around. The idea is to run slightly higher pressure in the hopes of slightly stiffening the sidewall.

Should I run stock pressures?
Why would you do that? The car should be perfectly normal at the pressures on the sticker in the driver's side door.

I'll never understand the crap people tolerate for fashion.
Old 07-02-15, 04:16 PM
Vervish
Racer

Yeah..turned it back down to stock..36 front and back. Feels about the same.
Old 07-02-15, 04:31 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Except under acceleration and in motion, you get toe out too. Just not as much as braking. That's why it's a big balancing act to figure out what static setting gives best dynamic compliance.

If it weren't for NVH, we'd be way better off with spherical bearings and get rid of all the rubber junk.
after going with your suggested 0 toe up front from last time, performance felt worse but tire wear was better.

this time , im getting my RR racing bushings in this weekend and getting an alignment coming up next week. what would you suggest with the toe setting after the bushings? do you still recommend that i do the 0 toe? camber will be around 1.6-2.0.

also the rear , i think you told me to go with a -0.1 toe if im not mistaken .

thanks
Old 07-02-15, 08:57 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

We have put them on sale for July. http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=235

Really improves stability under braking load and progressively resisting the force. The thing that I have noticed with cross camber is that it has to be cross member shift. Everything else is static so the lower arm must be moved laterally on mount. Caster numbers seem to stay the same as well. I have an RCF customer reporting the same with a pull to the right and quite a cross camber difference.
Ditch those spacers and see how it impacts things. We run an 0.1 degrees total toe out with our bushings for steer in and -2.5 degrees of camber to get contact patch where it should be for the grip we get at the track but the key is to have the cross camber/caster sorted out for balance. The suspension gains both camber and caster on compression so ride height comes into play more than people think when it comes to how the car sits in a corner.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 07-06-15, 08:55 AM
Vervish
Racer

Thanks for the link Figs!

Closing the loop on my issue - I had another alignment done, this time at the Lexus dealer - the rear toe was out of spec on the right rear wheel. (not sure how this happened since the printout I got from my shop showed it spot on). I also removed the rear spacers, cleaned the hub of some light rust and reinstalled the spacers and torque'd down the wheel lug nuts to factory specs (they were seriously over tightened). I still need to do the same to the front.

Unstable-ness problem is gone - Although I still have some very slight pulling to the right under acceleration.
Old 07-09-15, 08:00 PM
v8sedan
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Gone back for alignment today, they.told me I need a caster kit for the front to align correctly, I'm just surprised because the car is completely stock except for upsized tires, can it.be right? The issue is that car feels floaty at high speed since tire/alignment, tanx for.any input
Old 07-09-15, 08:08 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by v8sedan
Gone back for alignment today, they.told me I need a caster kit for the front to align correctly, I'm just surprised because the car is completely stock except for upsized tires, can it.be right? The issue is that car feels floaty at high speed since tire/alignment, tanx for.any input
What are the numbers? We do have caster offset versions of our bushings to correct for this, but I would need to see the sheet to understand what is going on.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 07-09-15, 09:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by v8sedan
What size are the upsized tires? All four wheels please.

Quick Reply: Reconsidering the Factory Alignment