IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Does anybody wait till 5K for the 1st oil change?

Old 06-25-08, 02:37 PM
dbastidas0
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no the engine is not broken in at 3k....in all honesty your engine is still breaking in at 10 k...I was just saying that at 3k u can start pressing it a bit...now im not saying that at 3k your engine is completely broken in but if you press the gas every now and then it wont do any damage....anything under that I wouldent even floor it....but thats just me. I have 3600 miles on mine and I barely ever press it hard and drive in normal mode 90percent of the time.
Old 06-25-08, 02:43 PM
dbastidas0
Driver

and to awnser the originall question, I am gonna get my FIRST oil change at 5k. I have had every IS that lexus has made and I have always done it every 5k. Toyota engines are so efficient that they really dont need it every 3k or 2k... Now obviously getting it every 3k or 2k is not gonna hurt the engine it just depends on if you wanna dish out that money everytime...if u got the service package and its under warranty, ***** get it every 1k as long as the dealer is paying for it....

question...those of you that have the F and have gotten the oil change from the dealer...what oil did they use?....Im hoping full synthetic
Old 06-25-08, 02:50 PM
BJM711
Rookie

Originally Posted by dbastidas0
and to awnser the originall question, I am gonna get my FIRST oil change at 5k. I have had every IS that lexus has made and I have always done it every 5k. Toyota engines are so efficient that they really dont need it every 3k or 2k... Now obviously getting it every 3k or 2k is not gonna hurt the engine it just depends on if you wanna dish out that money everytime...if u got the service package and its under warranty, ***** get it every 1k as long as the dealer is paying for it....

question...those of you that have the F and have gotten the oil change from the dealer...what oil did they use?....Im hoping full synthetic
The dealer is not going to use full synthetic unless you pay the difference in the cost.
Old 06-25-08, 04:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Wow. Sounds like a lot of you guys like to waste good oil. I've run synthetic and 10k mile intervals for the last 19 years on anything I owned worth a nickel (no, the '88 Corsica doesn't count). Funny thing is, I just dyno'd my Supra with 148k miles on it and it still makes over 300 hp at the wheels on a Dyno Dynamics set up completely stock down to the plugs and air filter (with a little more boost though).

Every oil change is an opportunity to introduce contaminants into the engine like silicates (dirt). If you analyze your used oil, you'll know when it's time to change it. I've been running 10k intervals on my IS350 with Mobil 1 5w-20 and Blackstone says I could even go more if I wanted to.

AFA break-in, you can be done with engine break-in after an hour of operation. Houston T knows all about my break-in procedure, and it's not a lot different than the one Motoman recommends because it works. You guys babying your engines for 3k are asking for long term trouble. Just my opinion after building engines for the last 28 years or so.
Old 06-25-08, 04:12 PM
slowIST
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Wow. Sounds like a lot of you guys like to waste good oil. I've run synthetic and 10k mile intervals for the last 19 years on anything I owned worth a nickel (no, the '88 Corsica doesn't count). Funny thing is, I just dyno'd my Supra with 148k miles on it and it still makes over 300 hp at the wheels on a Dyno Dynamics set up completely stock down to the plugs and air filter (with a little more boost though).

Every oil change is an opportunity to introduce contaminants into the engine like silicates (dirt). If you analyze your used oil, you'll know when it's time to change it. I've been running 10k intervals on my IS350 with Mobil 1 5w-20 and Blackstone says I could even go more if I wanted to.

AFA break-in, you can be done with engine break-in after an hour of operation. Houston T knows all about my break-in procedure, and it's not a lot different than the one Motoman recommends because it works. You guys babying your engines for 3k are asking for long term trouble. Just my opinion after building engines for the last 28 years or so.

amen. i broke my is-f in when i left the dealers lot. haha.

i broke the new gte in my is300 in on the dyno.
Old 06-25-08, 05:53 PM
dbastidas0
Driver

how is not straining the engine for the first 3k miles gonna add up to long term damage???
Old 06-25-08, 06:20 PM
slowIST
Driver

how is not straining the engine for the first 3k miles gonna add up to long term damage???
its crucial in the first few miles, as the cylinder walls and piston rings are "wearing" in to become better sealed. the clearances and tolerances of newer motors are so exact that a rebuild/overhaul isnt necessary after the first break in (unlike older motors.. push-rod for example). here is a quote from a site with more information.

"..The Problem With "Easy Break In" ...
The honed crosshatch pattern in the cylinder bore acts like a file to allow the rings to wear. The rings quickly wear down the "peaks" of this roughness, regardless of how hard the engine is run.

There's a very small window of opportunity to get the rings to seal really well ... the first 20 miles !!

If the rings aren't forced against the walls soon enough, they'll use up the roughness before they fully seat. Once that happens there is no solution but to re hone the cylinders, install new rings and start over again..."

i also remember from back in highschool that my autoshop teacher explained to me how beneficial it was to run the car in a lower gear going down a hill. i.e., face the car down a hill in gear and let the rpm's climb without hitting the throttle. the backpressure would help the valves seat properly.
Old 06-27-08, 09:59 AM
dbastidas0
Driver

intresting..
Old 06-28-08, 10:54 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Drive It Like You Stole It

Damn caps filters
that should be in all caps
I really want to stress the fact that I am yelling

life is too short
it's a lexus
it'll probably last longer than your passion for the car
Old 06-29-08, 03:21 AM
ALF6310
Driver School Candidate

Default 5000K oil change

Brought mine in for the 1000 settings session but no oil change or was there one recommended..Taking mine in on Monday for the 5K; it has about 4700 on it.
Old 06-29-08, 07:01 PM
01_TraN
Driver School Candidate

interesting... i smashed it a little hitting about 120mph when it was at about 700/800 miles... now my car is at 1147... i hope nothing dramatic will happen =/
Old 06-30-08, 02:20 PM
PHXDiesel
Driver School Candidate

Default And the sunshine broketh through

Originally Posted by 01_TraN
interesting... i smashed it a little hitting about 120mph when it was at about 700/800 miles... now my car is at 1147... i hope nothing dramatic will happen =/
At 1200 miles your titanium valves will begin to melt then spontaneously combust.. Shortly after this moment a break in the clouds will open and a beam of eternal sunshine will forever shine on that spot to alert everyone to the evils of driving a car too hard too early.

In all seriousness, I've driven every one of my cars hard right off the dealers lot, and have never had a problem with any of them. 100k with zero engine/driveline problems... Even Fords. The only car(truck in this case) I CONSIDERED driving carefully for a few hundred miles was my 2008 F-250 diesel(I've had it for almost 1.5 years now). The differential gears can be picky sometimes if you run em' hard too early. But I was towing over 10k pounds at 500 miles, and it's been a beast ever since.
Old 06-30-08, 05:21 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Guys, this is a performance car!!!
I'm at 112 miles now and working on drifting
Old 06-30-08, 05:54 PM
slowIST
Driver

Originally Posted by vraa
Guys, this is a performance car!!!
I'm at 112 miles now and working on drifting
lol! right on man. have fun with that open diff tho. or the "electronic LSD." my rear right tire is burning soo much faster than the left, i'm pretty sure its peg legged. without water on the ground, it's hard to keep a constant drift with this car. hopefully an aftermarket lsd is made soon.
Old 06-30-08, 06:18 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Aftermarket my butt
4/50,000 warranty + 100% reliability RULES

The IS-F is probably the most BADASS Lexus EVER