IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

Subwoofers in a 2010 hardtop convertible IS250C?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-17, 04:54 PM
derelexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Subwoofers in a 2010 hardtop convertible IS250C?

Hey guys,

New to club lexus here and just recently switched from a 2010 V6 mustang to a 2010 IS250C. I was really getting over bringing in my car to the shop almost every other month for some problem and decided to go for a lexus. I noticed that with the hardtop convertibles when the top is down most of the room in the trunk is sacrificed which can be a burden when leaving things in your trunk. I plan on installing an aftermarket stereo system with an amp as well as a 10 or 12 inch subwoofer in the trunk but I have no idea how that is going to work. Any tips or advice or pics of setup would really help. Thank you guys!

-Derelexus
Old 02-20-17, 11:13 PM
ed21x
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Even though Lexus officially states 8 speakers, i counted 10 if you factor in the tweeters. There are two 6.5" subs, two mid range, and two tweeters in the front, all integrated into the doors, and two mid range, and two tweeters in the back. Kind of an awkward setup as I usually prefer the bass to come from the back and resonate. The end result is fairly decent sound quality, but a small soundstage too far oriented to the front. The DSP sucks on the Lexus, so i suggest turning off the surround sound and auto leveling effect, as well as playing around with the settings to make it sound much better. For me, personally i set the equalizer balance to be a few notches more rear biased and a few notches higher on mid and bass.
Old 02-26-17, 07:13 AM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

there is a massive sub behind the seats just before the boot
its located where the ski holes are usualyl on the sedan
Old 03-02-17, 03:44 PM
svelt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if it is possible to install the Mark Levinson system after the fact? I've heard fantastic reviews of it and it'd probably contribute a lot more to your sound quality than bigger subs (the bass is decently punchy as-is IMO, unless you're still blasting it down a street).
Old 03-04-17, 03:50 PM
ed21x
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

that massive sub only exists for the ML system. the regular pioneer system doesn't have one...
Old 10-30-22, 04:21 PM
is350c2010
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OK... so it *is* 5 years later.... but....

Originally Posted by ed21x
that massive sub only exists for the ML system. the regular pioneer system doesn't have one...
OK. Revival of a 5 year old thread!!!

I have an is350 C with factory nav and the "premium" stereo (without the ML system).

I've been working on my car, trying to add an alpine 5 channel amp and a nice subwoofer.

I removed all of the parts necessary to take out the lining in the back of the trunk, and it turns out, there is a hole where the ML sub would be mounted.

You get to it by removing the rear seats (something I haven't done yet)... In order to save time AND to keep me from breaking something, I paid to purchase the disassembly instructions for my car from Crutchfield. It's only $10, and is very detailed with photos and step-by-step instructions.

I'm planning to go through with this upgrade. I guess I'll start my own thread for the upgrade itself.

-Philip
Old 11-01-22, 12:00 PM
jj68jam
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Subwoofers in a 2010 hardtop convertible IS250C?

I installed one in the factory location of my 12 350C, but later removed it. I went with a Pioneer free air sub and it rattled bad so I removed and opted for two slimline subs that fit in the trunk under the retractable liner. Not too loud though when the top is down- sounds awesome when it is up. If there was more room under the front seats I would put the two slimlines there which would sound much better even with the top down. i wonder if they make spacers for the seats...

I'll search and tag my thread back when I did this a couple years ago.
-Jim
Old 11-01-22, 12:08 PM
jj68jam
Pit Crew

It's in this thread, I must not have put in the pic when I put the Pioneer free air sub in. I'll dig it up at home and post.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ight=subwoofer

Old 11-01-22, 11:16 PM
is350c2010
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! I appreciate it!
Old 11-02-22, 05:59 PM
jj68jam
Pit Crew

So I'm not having luck on the pictures I took of the sub install in the factory ML spot behind the rear seat... sorry.
Please post some pics when you fit the sub. I remember mine had enough clearance depth but the magnet and cage barely fit through the rough opening.
Good luck with the build. Always great to see what others are doing...
-Jim
Old 11-02-22, 06:06 PM
is350c2010
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jj68jam
So I'm not having luck on the pictures I took of the sub install in the factory ML spot behind the rear seat... sorry.
Please post some pics when you fit the sub. I remember mine had enough clearance depth but the magnet and cage barely fit through the rough opening.
Good luck with the build. Always great to see what others are doing...
-Jim
Thanks and no worries about the photos.

I'm planning to pull out an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel, a cutting blade on a multi tool, and metal blade on my hacks-all to enlarge the opening of necessary.
If it doesn't fit, I'll make it. My biggest concern is will there be enough clearance in the front of the subwoofer to allow for full excursion of the speaker cone... those alpine Type - R subs can move really far!

With that said, if the clearance seems to be an issue, then I can always mount the sub so that it is 100% inside the trunk... that would give me a little more excursion.... and now that I"m thinking about it, if that doesn't
give me enough room in front, I can always make a spacer adapter plate, to provide additional clearance.... Yeah.... I think that'll work. I'm glad I wrote this reply... it gave me some good ideas!
Old 11-02-22, 06:09 PM
is350c2010
Driver School Candidate

I installed one in the factory location of my 12 350C, but later removed it. I went with a Pioneer free air sub and it rattled bad so I removed and opted for two slimline subs that fit in the trunk under the retractable liner. Not too loud though when the top is down- sounds awesome when it is up. If there was more room under the front seats I would put the two slimlines there which would sound much better even with the top down. i wonder if they make spacers for the seats...

I'll search and tag my thread back when I did this a couple years ago.
-Jim
Oh... spacers for the seats... as in to raise the seat height where you mount it so that there is additional clearance under the seats... Wow! I've never thought about that. Clever!
Old 11-02-22, 07:28 PM
jj68jam
Pit Crew

I remember I mounted the Pioneer sub from the front. I do not remember if there was enough depth to mount it from the back side of the opening. I was able to also fit one of those metal grills in front of the sub so that it did not contact the foam on the back side of the rear seats. I also remember making a bracket so that I could use the existing screw holes without having to cut the metal. It was definitely not my finest work so I went the slimline route in the space below where the top is stored.

I have seen those "seat blocks" to raise the seats, but it looks modified so I'm at a loss and gonna leave as is....until you post pics of the sub in the factory spot. That may motivate me to try to fit subs in the cabin again for better top-down sound...lol
The following users liked this post:
is350c2010 (11-02-22)
Old 11-09-22, 01:51 PM
jj68jam
Pit Crew

Found a pic of the free air sub I installed. This was the rough fit. I revised the bracket to be smooth and symmetrical once I verified that it fit.

Old 11-09-22, 05:02 PM
is350c2010
Driver School Candidate

Found a pic of the free air sub I installed. This was the rough fit. I revised the bracket to be smooth and symmetrical once I verified that it fit.
Awesome! Just so I understand... this picture was taken from within the passenger compartment. Correct?

I haven't pulled my read seats yet, but I'm trying to understand the options.

Quick Reply: Subwoofers in a 2010 hardtop convertible IS250C?