IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

Buying a 2012 IS350C - Looking for Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-15, 08:43 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Buying a 2012 IS350C - Looking for Advice

I've been lurking on this thread for the past month or so, reading everything I could about the IS350C to try to decide whether to trade my SC430 in for the newer technology of the 350C. I have finally made the decision to proceed (and the guys on the SC430 forum think I've gone totally bonkers).

I found a beautiful 2012 IS350C in Eau Claire Wisconsin (of all places) that I'm having trucked in to my local Lexus dealer (Lexus of Omaha). I'll be actually purchasing the car from the Lexus dealer to facilitate the trade-in.

The car is silver with the saddle interior, and comes fully equipped (everything except the ML audio and the Dynamic Radar Cruise). The car has 12K miles and was originally purchased in April of 2013, so it will be under full factory warranty for more than 2 years. I don't think I'll bother having the car Certified (would add $1200 to the price while only extending the warranty by around 9 months).

My question for those who own the IS350C: What things should I be looking for specifically when I do the test drive? Are there major TSBs I should be aware of on this vehicle? I've heard complaints of rattling roofs and squeaking seats, which I'll check for. Anything else I should be concerned about before taking delivery? This is the perfect time to get things done (before I actually take delivery of the car), so any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-26-15, 08:17 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check to see if the paint inside the headlights below the LED strip is bubbling, there is a pretty big thread about this. Nav screen with finger scuffs that won't wipe off. Rear view mirror that has spots or lines inside the morror surface.
You will Love the the ISC and find it is quicker than your SC430. Post some pics when you get it.
Old 01-27-15, 06:07 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jgr7
Check to see if the paint inside the headlights below the LED strip is bubbling, there is a pretty big thread about this. Nav screen with finger scuffs that won't wipe off. Rear view mirror that has spots or lines inside the morror surface.
You will Love the the ISC and find it is quicker than your SC430. Post some pics when you get it.
Thanks for the tips! The car arrived from Wisconsin late day yesterday and I ran out to take a quick look/test drive. The car was still slightly dirty from the transport truck, but it looked completely immaculate to me (no door dings, scuffs, etc.). The interior was perfect and still smelled new, which is pretty cool.

I took a nice test drive by myself (trusting dealer). You are so right about it feeling much quicker than the SC430! I had a great time rocketing up a freeway on-ramp, and was very impressed by the power and overall quietness/refinement of the car. Cruising along at 70 seemed very composed and quiet, not quite as serene as the ride on my LS600hL, but at least as nice as the cruising ride of the SC430.

I didn't check for the 3 items you mentioned in your post, but will be sure to check for those things before I take delivery of the car and sign on the bottom line (which is scheduled for this evening).

I did buy a Key Access Card via Sewell Lexus ($170) and asked the Lexus Dealer to program the Key Card today before I pick the car up. I have the Key Card for my LS600, and have gotten so used to never carrying keys that I wanted the same thing for the IS350C. I haven't heard much about IS350 owners using the Key Card setup, but I highly recommend it!

I'll post some photos after I pick the car up tonight. Thanks again for the tips!