IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

Thinking about up grading to IS250or 350c

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-14, 05:25 PM
cotswold
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about up grading to IS250or 350c

I currently own a 2011 is250, I have had the car for three years. Really impressed with the car after owning Honda's , VW's and a BMW. I really like the looks for the is250 and 350c but after reading some issues on other lexus web sites about problems with the tops rattling and squeaking
Also operational problems. Are these isolated problems with a few cars or are there problems with this style of car ? Don't want to trade and regret my decision later.Thanks for any information or opinions.
Old 10-18-14, 10:52 AM
twleblanc
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've owned a 1973 MGB for close to thirty years (my convertible cred), a 1994 Geo Prizm (Corolla) since new with 305k miles, a 2011 Sienna (used) for two years, and a 2010 IS350C that I bought two weeks ago with 83k on the clock and even in that short amount of time I can tell you to go for it!

I can't speak to the "operational" problems because I'm not quite certain to what you are referring and because I have yet to run into anything beyond initial operator error and ensuring the "window shade" is correctly seated or the button in the glovebox is in the correct position.

If you have never owned a convertible before you will notice various shakes and sounds that all convertibles make due to the very nature of their structure. And in the case of the IS C's incredibly quiet interior you are more likely to notice something that you don't normally hear in your IS250 sedan. However, in the two weeks I have been driving my IS350C (when the top is up) I have only noticed one consistent sound and that is going over a security gate rail, the drop produces a sound which I think is the "parcel shelf" flapping. Other than that the roof itself has been tight I haven't picked up anything--certainly nothing I would consider annoying but given the MGB I have a high tolerance. To me, you wouldn't even think you were in a convertible. The maintenance history on the car indicated that there was a convertible top adjustment done so that may very well be the reason she is still quiet--which goes to show that folks who complain about top rattle never getting fixed may need to find a different dealer ;-)

My recommendation is to test drive one or more IS Cs with the top up and radio off to see what you think and if you have a poorly maintained road to drive over that will be the final test. If the first car you drive rattles, try some others. If you are testing new there shouldn't be any issue.

But the primary reason to buy a convertible is to drive it with the top down! The top doesn't make a dang sound when it is stored in the trunk where it belongs. And since the IS C does it in about 20 seconds...

When I was looking for convertibles this past month I considered and drove a BMW 328i, an IS250C, a pair of SC430's, and ultimately my Starfire Pearl IS350C. The top on the BMW is complex and was scary when it closed. All of the Lexus products are magical and seem very well designed.

Your real question should be 250 or 350? :-) if you are happy with how your IS250 performs with four passengers and a full trunk then you would have plenty of fun with the IS250C. If not, you need the IS350C. Now go test driving!

Last edited by twleblanc; 10-30-14 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 10-18-14, 06:33 PM
cotswold
Driver

Thank you very much for your reply, your information is helpful.
Old 10-19-14, 11:18 PM
TomDac
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

All convertibles have rattles and such. It's the nature of the beast... I've had many convertibles over the years and the ISC is the best of all of them.
Old 10-20-14, 05:02 AM
13IS250C
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was quiet as a mouse when I first got it. After about a year, it started to make a popping sound. It took me 2 trips to the dealership to get them to hear it and repair it. It is quiet again.

Other than that, I have had zero problems. As one person posted here a while back, make sure you are on a flat surface before operating the top. It only makes sense that if the car isn't sitting flat it could be flexed and mess up the track and operation.

Buy the car. You will love it. I don't think I have ever owned a car that received so many compliments. All the girls at the Sonics just have a fit over it.

Old 10-20-14, 05:07 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

when upgrading from a 250 always get a 350, most common regret of 250 owners is they shouldve gotten the 350 engine.
Old 10-23-14, 01:19 PM
travelride
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just bought a 2010 IS350C and absolutely love it. I don't think it's any noisier than most standard hard top vehicles when the top is up and Lexus has even done an amazingly good job at making it fairly quiet with the top down.

Before making our purchase decision we drove both the IS250C and the IS350C. To my lead foot, the IS250C seemed sluggish. Adequate, but sluggish. The IS350C however, has plenty of power! I would venture a guess that the IS250C will be slightly slower than your existing IS250 considering the extra weight of the top mechanism. Whether you would notice a difference or whether it's just measurable on a track, I don't know - and that's just an educated guess.

If you're happy with your 250, then you may very well be happy with a 250C, but I guarantee you won't regret the upgrade to the IS350C. It's not a beast, but it's plenty fast.

One other suggestion: If you enjoy good sound get the Mark Levinson stereo upgrade. We have the basic stereo in ours and it's the only real complaint we have about the car. It's quite disappointing with the top down. Or if you're a super stereo nut, just get the basic stereo and then do some upgrades yourself. (I'm actually starting to research an amp/speaker upgrade right now).

You will love the IS350C !!!
Old 10-26-14, 04:37 PM
cotswold
Driver

Thanks ,Travelride for the info on the 350c
Old 10-30-14, 01:11 PM
twleblanc
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that I have had my IS350C for a full month I will add that I do hear a thunk from the top when the body flexes while entering driveways at an angle. Pretty much the same sound I got from having the hardtop on the MGB.

Last edited by twleblanc; 10-30-14 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-31-14, 12:47 PM
Machog
Driver

Hmmm, I must be very lucky. On my 2010 I had one rattle under warranty, above the passengers head towards the window. Took it, quick adjustment, its a known problem and nothing before or after.

We live in AZ so the top gets a real work out, up and down all the time. Only other issue we've had in 35k miles is the battery went TU, a common problem in hot climates. Replaced under warranty.

My only complaint is the drivers side seat outside bolster is showing signs of wear. Its just looking tired, we do have white leather so that's a contributing factor.

Machog