IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

Running out of warranty... punch list for dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-14, 10:38 PM
travelride
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Running out of warranty... punch list for dealer?

So, my "new to me" 2010 IS350C is going to run out of warranty in just a couple months (surprisingly it's still under warranty because it didn't first get titled until December 2010). I'm trying to compile a punch list of things for the dealer to take care of before the warranty runs out. This is a very nice, solid car, so my list is very short at the moment.

- Rearview mirror vibrates
- Passenger side roof rattle
- Headlights hazed over / showing signs of sun cracks near the top

That's all I have at the moment. Are there any other things I should hit the dealer up for that I might just not think of as being a warranty item? Any TSBs out there I should maybe claim I have a problem with even though I really don't because it's going to probably start soon anyway?

I don't want to make the dealer do things unnecessarily, but I also don't want to have a problem show up 5 minutes out of warranty that I could have had them address for free.

Thanks!

Last edited by travelride; 09-02-14 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-03-14, 10:31 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scratches on the nav screen, listen to the motors that retract the top for any noise like a hissing sound. Had my nave screen replaced because of scratches that wouldn't clean off, there is a tsb or something on it. had my rear view mirror replaced due to a black line in it as well as the mirror coating starting to discolor on the inside, had the roof rattle fixed as a known problem and one motor on the hard top started making a hissing noise. also had my headlights replaced due to the paint bubbling issue under the leds.
Jeff
Old 09-06-14, 07:27 AM
13IS250C
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had my passenger side roof rattle fixed after taking it to them twice and they "couldn't duplicate the problem" Do your homework. Hold your phone at the rattle and record it. That was what I had to do to finally make them do something.
Old 09-06-14, 12:27 PM
Machog
Driver

Passenger side roof rattle is a common problem, had mine fixed just before the warranty ran out.

Its BS if the dealer says they don't know about the problem or can't duplicate it. Take it to another dealer or insist they adjust it. I'm told its a very easy adjustment if you know what are doing-and I don't.

Rearview mirror might be a tire/balance related issue, not sure that would be covered.

Have them load test the battery, if you live in a hot climate as I do (AZ), it will be coming to the end of its useful life and battery is covered under warranty.

Unlikely, but check your garage floor for any sign of oil leaks, however slight.

Mine ran out about 10 months ago and no issues so far.

Machog
Old 09-06-14, 04:13 PM
travelride
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestions... I'll definitely add the battery to the list. I live in Florida, so 5 years is a good run for a battery and I'm pretty sure it's never been replaced.

I seriously doubt the rearview mirror problem is balance. I had the car up to 100mph today - smooth as silk - except for that mirror. I would think you'd feel balance issues in the steering wheel, especially at those speeds.

Nav screen on ours is mint looking. I don't think it's ever seen a fingernail, so we're good on that one. I'll check the mirrors out for black lines / fadiing. I'm definitely going to try to hit them up for new headlights.
Old 09-07-14, 03:30 PM
13IS250C
Pole Position

Unfortunately, Memphis only has one Lexus dealership. I'm stuck with them.
Old 09-15-14, 04:22 AM
travelride
Driver School Candidate

Follow-up question:

Will Lexus replace things that are worn/faded looking on the exterior as a warranty item? After closer examination, I've noticed some of the black trim (IE: little triangle pieces behind the rear windows) are badly discolored.

I also noticed that the paint is faded on top of the mirrors. Maybe because they are plastic, the paint doesn't last as long?

Also trying to come up with an argument to get the headlight lenses replaced. They polish up ok, but the luster only lasts a few weeks at a time. They are definitely showing signs that they're 5 years old.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-14, 06:23 AM
13IS250C
Pole Position

I don't see any reason for Lexus to have to pay for normal wear and tear. It is always worth asking for though.

I wax my headlights with Zaino. Don't know if that will keep them from aging or not. I usually don't keep a car long enough to find out.
Old 09-15-14, 10:54 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Someone makes a kit to restore headlights and it includes a UV coating to make the job last longer.
Old 09-18-14, 07:43 AM
Machog
Driver

I got my drivers seat replaced under warranty as it was starting to wear and show lines in the leather. Its depends on your service contact-some will go to bat for you, others won't.

Machog
Old 12-24-14, 02:36 AM
freeflight
Driver

Originally Posted by Machog
I got my drivers seat replaced under warranty as it was starting to wear and show lines in the leather. Its depends on your service contact-some will go to bat for you, others won't.

Machog
My seat is having the same problem. Will try to ask Longo to replace it.
Old 03-05-15, 10:13 AM
billbarker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Machog

Machog
Upon reviewing the service history of the '11 IS250C I bought yesterday, I noticed a lot of seat repaid entries for the leather. Is this a common thing?

Bill