IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

Platform over rear seats for dogs

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-14, 09:58 PM
travelride
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Platform over rear seats for dogs

We just got our new IS350C and couldn't be happier except for one little thing... I'm concerned that my two dachshunds are going to scratch the center console between the rear seats all to heck when we take them with us -- jumping back and forth, etc.

Looking for suggestions besides "leave them at home".

I was thinking about making some sort of platform that rested in the two seats and bridged over the top of the rear center console and carpet it in black (since my car interior is black). Maybe go as far as making it a custom Lexus dog kennel. Has anyone done anything like what I'm talking about?

Photos? Suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 09-06-14, 12:40 PM
Machog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me I wouldn't bother with a platform. Get a matching color heavy duty carpet and cut it to shape, with overlaps going up the back, sides and down past the knee rest. That way you'll catch most of the hair and if the guys are jumping around they'll only hit carpet not leather or trim. Trying to get some mobile kennel or box in and out with the roof up would be a real challenge not to take chunks out of the leather or trim.

Machog
Old 09-06-14, 04:08 PM
travelride
Driver School Candidate

The center console between the rear seats is what I'm most worried about, and you're right about the kennel. This is our second convertible, and we'd always just put the top down to place the kennel in the car and then put the top back up. Much easier than trying to maneuver it. We've also considered a soft-side kennel. Our dogs are pretty good, so they hopefully wouldn't gnaw on the soft-sided one.
Old 09-08-14, 04:16 PM
Race14Girl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 dogs as well, though mine are quite a bit larger than yours. I bought them each a harness and attach each one with a seat belt safety clip.
This way they can still move around and lay down, but can't jump into each others seat (or out the side to chase squirrels!) This option would keep them from scratching up the center console too
Old 09-08-14, 07:16 PM
PondScum
Driver

We bought a rear seat cover from Drs Foster and Smith. It's not a custom fit, but it does the job.
Old 09-09-14, 12:51 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a boxer and just bought two heavy blankets from a thrift store and one of those large pillow style bed cases for a medium dog bed & folded them so they filled in the wells of the seats and she was good to go. That's were I also buy my towels for general yard, dog washing, rim cleaning etc too. Cheap!
Old 09-12-14, 10:30 PM
travelride
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the suggestions. maybe I was overthinking this. A dog bed and two seat belt tethers might do the job just perfectly!
Old 09-14-14, 11:53 AM
leftyjohn
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try using a sleeping bag. Can be tied down so it shouldnt move and should be thick/heavy enuf to protect seats and console.And can be washed when needed
Old 09-15-14, 04:18 AM
travelride
Driver School Candidate

Hey! I like the sleeping bag idea too. Thanks!