IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

Thinking about a used 2010 IS 250C

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-15, 07:31 PM
forkyfork
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a used 2010 IS 250C

I found a used 2010 IS 250 C at a dealer lot. It's been on there a while, so it's priced at 25k for 32k miles. Has navigation, back-up camera, and seat coolers. The interior is very nice, and I've always wanted a convertible, especially since I'll be starting a job with a 45 minute commute each way. I normally wouldn't consider a Lexus, but I was looking at other convertibles and the used Lexus is a pretty comparable price to a new soft-top convertible with less features. The dealer also suggested getting a warranty (of course they did) because of the motor in the hard top.

It seems like a good deal, but my other car is a 1996 Toyota Camry without cruise control, so this will be a big step up. Thoughts?

Would I be better off just buying a certified preowned that already CAME with the warranty?
Old 04-21-15, 08:17 PM
tripsea
Driver School Candidate

Hold out and wait for a 2011. Shouldn't be much more money and all the little improvements made between the years make a difference.
Old 04-21-15, 08:18 PM
forkyfork
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tripsea
Hold out and wait for a 2011. Shouldn't be much more money and all the little improvements made between the years make a difference.
Can you elaborate on what those improvements were? Should I buy CPO with the warranty or is that not necessary?
Old 04-22-15, 02:06 PM
Taysdad
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by forkyfork
Can you elaborate on what those improvements were? Should I buy CPO with the warranty or is that not necessary?
I can't remember all the improvements, but LED lights are on the list as well as some interior changes.

This is just my opinion, but I think you can probably find a 2011+ for just slightly more money and it will be a better long term value. I would also encourage you to drive a 350 vs. 250 (be warned -- you'll want a 350 if you do this).

As for the warranty - skip it. It's a Lexus. I'd buy if this were a German or American car, but not a Lexus. FWIW - I also own a 2002 SC430 convertible. No issues at all with the top even after 13 years.
Old 04-22-15, 02:11 PM
svelt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I echo going for the 2011 just because of the headlights. There have barely been any changes to the ISC over the years; the LED headlights were probably the most major of them and they are very expensive to swap out yourself. It really makes a difference to the look of the front end.

Apart from axing the Manual Transmission the following year and adding an FSport line in 2013, not much else happened to this car.

No extended warranty needed. My family has owned Lexus vehicles for more than 15 years and there is nothing out of the ordinary that has ever had to be fixed that made us say "I wish I paid $x,xxx for extra warranty". You pay the Lexus premium so you DON'T really need to worry about warranties.
Old 04-22-15, 04:53 PM
forkyfork
Driver School Candidate

Can you explain why LED lights are ultimately better? And we're not talking about interior lighting, right?
Old 04-22-15, 04:55 PM
forkyfork
Driver School Candidate

Also, found a 2011 for a decent price.. the problem is it's in black. I kinda was hoping for a lighter car because I know black shows dirt easier (and I'm not as good about washing my cars on a regular basis). Any thoughts?
Old 04-23-15, 11:49 AM
twleblanc
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As Taysdad said, if you test the 350 (and you should) you will want that. If you are looking to use it as a commuter car the 250 is supposed to get better mileage so that is one point in its favor.

With regard to the price It all depends on your area, what is available, and what you consider a good deal. If we go apples to oranges I had to go to LA for a higher mileage IS350C with cracking leather seats (but they put on some nice "leather bondo" so it looks good for now) for about the same price you mentioned.

As far as the step up, you say you have a 1996 Camry. I went from a 1994 Geo Prizm to a 2010 IS350C so I can tell you it is awesome!

The Camry should also be your touchstone for whether or not you would want to worry about a warranty or CPO. My Geo (Toyota Corolla with a bow tie) has 305,000 miles on it and it is still going strong so I had no concerns about mechanical horrors. Since Lexus is Toyota's luxury brand you really don't have to worry too much. It is also reassuring to read that the SC430's tops have very few problems.

As far as the LED daytime running lights/parking lights on later models, that is up to you. They are nice and in keeping with the industry trends but the incandescents do the job. What you MUST get though are the HID headlights! I thought our 2011 Sienna's projector headlights are great (especially after the Geo) but returning to the Sienna after my IS350C's active HIDs is like I'm wearing sunglasses at night.
Old 04-23-15, 12:10 PM
svelt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

2011+ headlights:

2010 headlights:

It was a dealbreaker for me.

I have a black IS C. It depends on your climate. It rains enough where I live that it gets a good rinsing every few days so it never really gets too dirty and I can get away with not washing it for a month or more. I once lived in a much drier and dustier climate and it was absolutely horrendous for any car - white, black, silver.
Old 04-23-15, 08:27 PM
jordanko
Driver School Candidate

I believe the 2011 has the led lights, all windows up/down switch that is independent from the top open/close, chrome on the steering wheel, chrome above the glovebox, and black carpeting and black convertible slide cover thing in the trunk. It might also call for synthetic oil instead of standard like the 2010. As for 250/350, the 250 is a huge disappointment. I test drove the 250 first and said forget it and walked out of the dealership. The sales guy suggested I drive the 350 and I did, and ultimately bought it. Five years later and I still have it. The 350 has 50% more horsepower for the same body and it makes a HUGE difference.
Old 04-24-15, 08:42 PM
twleblanc
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by svelt
2010 headlights:

It was a dealbreaker for me.
The LEDs are cool but they weren't a deal-breaker for me 😀

2010 Incandescent (Halogen) Daytime Running Lights

Last edited by twleblanc; 04-30-15 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Added a word
Old 04-29-15, 11:07 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

@twleblanc,
I hate to be that guy, but your DRLs/high beams are halogen, not incandescent (sorry I am a lighting nerd). I am really sorry! Awesome car though! I wish I had an IS C.
-Someone who also has halogen DRLs
Old 05-08-15, 10:08 PM
Linnre
Driver School Candidate

We bought a 2010 IS 250C last month and love it. I'm pretty sure it has LED lights. If not, they surely are bright!!

This is my first post. Just joined. Sorry if I don't have a signature set yet!

Enjoy!
Old 05-12-15, 04:11 PM
freeflight
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like 2010 better, no a fan of L Finesse LED running light of 2011+

Originally Posted by svelt
2011+ headlights:

Old 05-18-15, 01:00 PM
forkyfork
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for all the advice. Still undecided about the 2011 or 2010. Pretty sure I want the 250 though since I'm not really a "need for speed" driver and the gas mileage is WAY more important to me.

When you say the 2011 take synthetic oil, does that mean I'll have to spend more or LESS for an oil change? Sorry for the silly question.

Also, does anyone have any recommendation for interior color? I see I can choose white, black, or orange. I don't really keep up on cleaning my car as well as I should, so I want something that can go awhile without needing to be cleaned. Which would show dirt the least? Also, how hot will the black interior get? I know they have seat coolers, but wasn't sure how much those would help.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a used 2010 IS 250C