IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

Turn off Nav or make it not the default display

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-14, 10:05 AM
txjeff
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn off Nav or make it not the default display

I have a 2010 IS 350C that I bought used a couple of months ago.

I'm trying to figure out how to turn off the Nav completely since I'm using my Garmin instead. Any ideas?

Or, if I can't turn it off, is there a way to make the Audio the default screen to go back to or any other screen, such as Climate?

Thanks.
Old 02-17-14, 10:19 AM
13IS250C
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a way in "settings" to make the screen stay on what you set it on. The dealership did mine so I'm not sure how to tell you to do it. I'm sure if you took it by the dealership they would be glad to show you.
Old 02-17-14, 10:24 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

In Menu/Settings turn the "Auto Screen Change" off. The display will now stay where you left it, Audio or Climate. The back up camera will still pop in when in Reverse. Anytime you need the larger, brighter and not
stowed to prevent theft Nav screen just push Map(Voice) and the factory map will jump up.

I have a Garmin and take it for rental car use when flying but with practice you may find the indash set up works pretty well. $200 to update the four year old data base in your '10 is an unfortunate reality however .
Old 02-17-14, 12:45 PM
txjeff
Driver

Originally Posted by mcomer
In Menu/Settings turn the "Auto Screen Change" off. The display will now stay where you left it, Audio or Climate. The back up camera will still pop in when in Reverse. Anytime you need the larger, brighter and not
stowed to prevent theft Nav screen just push Map(Voice) and the factory map will jump up.

I have a Garmin and take it for rental car use when flying but with practice you may find the indash set up works pretty well. $200 to update the four year old data base in your '10 is an unfortunate reality however .
Thanks. Nope. Gotta use the Garmin. I am addicted to the Speed Limit read out (even if it's not accurate, I know when it changes). Lexus doesn't have it. And I've had a bunch of other issues, such as erroneous directions and inaccurate destination arrival time. On top of not knowing addresses that have been around for a long time. And I will never pay for the updates. Forget that. I wish the car came with a DVD screen instead of the Nav. But that's ok. I bought it used so most of the depreciation was dissipated.
Old 02-17-14, 12:46 PM
txjeff
Driver

Originally Posted by 13IS250C
There is a way in "settings" to make the screen stay on what you set it on. The dealership did mine so I'm not sure how to tell you to do it. I'm sure if you took it by the dealership they would be glad to show you.
I found this thread; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...av-screen.html
Old 02-17-14, 02:24 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Progress is being made, the new IS, CT and GX all have the speed limit display at the bottom of the screen. Also will play DVD (when the parking brake is on...) The ETA error might stem from not resetting the default speeds from 55 MPH on Highways and 35 MPH on Secondary Roads. Once you go to Settings/Nav/Detailed you can jack them up, 75 MPH max.
Old 02-17-14, 09:53 PM
txjeff
Driver

Progress is being made, the new IS, CT and GX all have the speed limit display at the bottom of the screen. Also will play DVD (when the parking brake is on...) The ETA error might stem from not resetting the default speeds from 55 MPH on Highways and 35 MPH on Secondary Roads. Once you go to Settings/Nav/Detailed you can jack them up, 75 MPH max.
Hmmm, I guess I'm confused. Why would the ETA be based on some random preset average speeds? Wouldn't it simply analyze the total speeds of the full route based on speed limits? I mean the Garmin is scary accurate, within minutes of the actual arrival time from the time of departure and I never had to alter any settings that had to do with my driving habits. And, as it would recognize my average speed as higher or lower, it would adjust the ETA a bit. Some how, the Lexus Nav would come up with some ETA and never change it. It would be off by an hour, even if the route was recalculated by 100 miles. ???

Even if Lexus added the speeds, the price, insane, charging for updates, ridiculous, and preventing a passenger from punching in an address while moving, old school. I guess smart phones prevent texting while driving too.

This Lexus experience with Nav was worthy for one thing. Teaching me never to buy the Nav option with a car.

But, no worries. I didn't buy the car for the Nav unit, so it changes little. And now that I have the default screen switched, it's fine. I also find the backup camera to be limited. It's ok to backup into a parking space, sort of, but I wouldn't trust it backing out of a parking space. It's view range is too limited. I still have to turn my head and look to make sure no one is walking into the line of fire. The whole bit with the mirrors pointing down when backing, ok. I guess that would be helpful for parallel parking,which is rare where I live. But for backing straight out, I think it's a handicap, such as wanting to see the garage door rail with those winged out mirrors without lopping one off.
And those are some of my observations. I won't get into all of them. I've probably driven American cars for far too long. Last foreign car was in the 80s.
Old 02-18-14, 08:57 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

The mirror lowering in Reverse can be defeated by putting the mirror adjustment selector in the middle position between "L" and "R". They both descend in L or R but neither do in neutral. Until 2013 the reversing position was an arbitrary few degrees downward, now you can customize them, ie., way down and out on one side and perhaps little or no variation from the forward travel position on the other. Set them in reverse and then Set/1 on the memory pad.

The Blind Spot Monitor includes Cross Traffic Detection which will sense motion up to 65 feet to either side behind you if they are going 18 mph.
Old 02-18-14, 09:36 AM
txjeff
Driver

The mirror lowering in Reverse can be defeated by putting the mirror adjustment selector in the middle position between "L" and "R". They both descend in L or R but neither do in neutral. Until 2013 the reversing position was an arbitrary few degrees downward, now you can customize them, ie., way down and out on one side and perhaps little or no variation from the forward travel position on the other. Set them in reverse and then Set/1 on the memory pad.

The Blind Spot Monitor includes Cross Traffic Detection which will sense motion up to 65 feet to either side behind you if they are going 18 mph.
Thanks for info. Do all IS 350 C's come with blind spot monitor with Nav package? Or is that a separate option. I don't think I've noticed any kind of sensing.
Old 02-18-14, 09:44 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

BSM was new to Lexus in 2013. It is now a customary option on nearly all equipment levels including non Nav.

We never had a Convertible but my Mom used to ask me to check out the cross traffic from the back seat when I was 10 years old! Got to fold the maps back up also if that clues you to how long ago that was!
Old 02-18-14, 09:55 AM
txjeff
Driver

BSM was new to Lexus in 2013. It is now a customary option on nearly all equipment levels including non Nav.

We never had a Convertible but my Mom used to ask me to check out the cross traffic from the back seat when I was 10 years old! Got to fold the maps back up also if that clues you to how long ago that was!
Ok, so since mine is a 2010 it doesn't have it. I still have fold up maps. In fact, I used on a year ago. Remember Trip Tiks?
Old 02-18-14, 10:05 AM
txjeff
Driver

While I'm robbing my thread, and on the subject of pet peeves, what's with the seats getting so hot? I drive 10 hours round trip each week and even with cool setting on high for seats, over time, the butt and lower back just starts getting warm from built up body heat. (And I'm not a heavy person.) I think it's because the seat centers, with those holes, are synthetic, not leather. And they don't really breath. And the ventilation system is near the thighs, not on the butt. I'm tempted to put a towel down or cushion.

My next mod is to wrap the steering wheel with something more cushiony.

I'm fighting with the "Certified Pre Owned" dealer in TX now over a cracked tail light lens that was only visible close up and at an angle. I noticed it a week after I got it. And now they are balking about replacing the lens. I've been emailing back and forth for weeks and I'm now trying to get a manager to do something. The lens is more than $200 to replace. Grrrr....

I bought a fuse to replace the burned out lighter one. Now all I need is a dwarf to get under the dash to change it. I tried with a mirror and on my back but to no avail.

Here's another question; I think the tires have sensors for inflation. Never had that before. Does that mean you still have to check it to make sure they are set right? Or do you just wait for an alarm?
Old 02-18-14, 09:28 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by txjeff
While I'm robbing my thread, and on the subject of pet peeves, what's with the seats getting so hot? I drive 10 hours round trip each week and even with cool setting on high for seats, over time, the butt and lower back just starts getting warm from built up body heat. (And I'm not a heavy person.) I think it's because the seat centers, with those holes, are synthetic, not leather. And they don't really breath. And the ventilation system is near the thighs, not on the butt. I'm tempted to put a towel down or cushion.
There is a mod you can do to bring A/C up to the fan under your seat. It makes a big difference. Try a search for cooled seats.

Here's another question; I think the tires have sensors for inflation. Never had that before. Does that mean you still have to check it to make sure they are set right? Or do you just wait for an alarm?
There are alarms, the only thing I don't like is you don't know which tire is low.
Old 02-19-14, 08:08 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

The Auto setting for A/C usually directs air to the dash vents. The ventilated seats are moving ambiant temp floor level air through the leather seat and seat back to your backside. Try tapping the dash mode button (or the Nav/Menu/Climate) to change to dash & floor) The Auto light will go out but now refrigerated air will be directed down to where the seats can pick it up.

The TPM is of the idiot light variety, gotta get out and kick 'em to determine which is low. A cool feature of the IS is the ability to set thresholds for two (2) set of tires. If you are running winter tires and bling bling summer types you can use the left side dash switches, left and right chevrons, to choose. Over Rev and over Speed setting are also reached with those buttons.
Old 02-21-14, 01:30 PM
TomDac
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

There is no Blind Spot monitor on the convertibles. Not even an option.

Quick Reply: Turn off Nav or make it not the default display