IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

Understanding CPO and VSA warranty

Old 11-17-13, 01:26 PM
egopotato
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Understanding CPO and VSA warranty

Hi folks! Two and a half weeks ago I purchased a 2010 CPO Lexus IS 350c with 32k miles. At the time of purchase, the financial manager of the dealership strongly suggested that I buy the VSA Platinum warranty that they can only offer at the time of purchase for $2,865.00. I was not expecting an additional expense to the purchase price but nevertheless, I bought the warranty knowing that I have at least 30 days to cancel. The finance manager explained that the CPO warranty covers the basic mechanical parts and repair for the next 3 years from the time of purchase or until the odometer reaches 100,000 miles. The VSA warranty is effective until 2017 or 100,000 miles. The manager explained that the VSA Platinum warranty will cover all the other replacement and repair like: the navigation screen, convertible repair, and majority of the computer/electrical stuff that are not included in the CPO warranty. Am I duplicating a warranty that I already have with the CPO in buying the VSA? The list of items on the LEXUS website that the VSA Platinum covers is extensive and specific as compared to the CPO which is generic and vague. I hate to assume and only to find out later that the CPO warranty excludes an expensive computer repair that will make the car inoperable and a nightmare to keep. Please advise... Thank you.
Old 11-17-13, 05:09 PM
RnProf
Driver School Candidate

Default Warranty

Just hunk of the expense in replacing jus tone of the motors that control the top. Not sure how many owners have had an issue of this type but I bought the warranty for peace of mind. Vegas odds.
Old 11-18-13, 06:10 AM
egopotato
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RnProf
Just hunk of the expense in replacing jus tone of the motors that control the top. Not sure how many owners have had an issue of this type but I bought the warranty for peace of mind. Vegas odds.
RnProf,
Thank you for your feedback, 30 days is fast approaching and I need to make a decision soon.
Old 11-18-13, 11:04 AM
Machog
Driver

If you want extended warranty, try after market. There are a ton out there, some are excellent, others you have to pay and they are supposed to send you a check after deductible, do a search. You should end up a 1000 less for similar coverage. Either way, push him hard on best price, tell him you've looked at after market and there are some better value polices out there. We said no when we bought our IS250 and price dropped 3 times, special this, special that-we still said no.

Machog
Old 11-18-13, 07:38 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I wouldn't get an after market warranty. I assume you still have the basic warranty (4 years). You can get Lexus warranty from this guy: Jerry Johnson jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com I got it from him for around $1500 for Lexus Platinum VSA with $0 deductible.
Old 11-19-13, 06:37 AM
egopotato
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Machog
If you want extended warranty, try after market. There are a ton out there, some are excellent, others you have to pay and they are supposed to send you a check after deductible, do a search. You should end up a 1000 less for similar coverage. Either way, push him hard on best price, tell him you've looked at after market and there are some better value polices out there. We said no when we bought our IS250 and price dropped 3 times, special this, special that-we still said no.

Machog
Thank you for taking the time to respond. The question that's begging to be answered is, what do I need the VSA warranty for if I already have the CPO warranty for the next 3 years or 100,000 miles? The dealership's explanation was: CPO for basic mechanical and some electrical repairs, VSA is for major computer and electronic that controls majority of the cars automated functions that is expensive to fix e.g., navigation, convertible top motors and relays. Too many different answers...
Old 11-19-13, 06:41 AM
egopotato
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=nosurprise;8243494]I wouldn't get an after market warranty. I assume you still have the basic warranty (4 years). You can get Lexus warranty from this guy: Jerry Johnson jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com I got it from him for around $1500 for Lexus Platinum VSA with $0 deductible.[

The car is still under the 4 yr/50k mile warranty. Thank you for the info.
Old 07-02-14, 12:40 AM
freeflight
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nosurprise
I wouldn't get an after market warranty. I assume you still have the basic warranty (4 years). You can get Lexus warranty from this guy: Jerry Johnson jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com I got it from him for around $1500 for Lexus Platinum VSA with $0 deductible.
Thanks for the info, I will try him.
Old 07-04-14, 07:37 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Warranty

Lexus no longer allows warranty's to be sold out of state. Contact the Toyota and Lexus dealerships in your state.
Old 07-27-14, 05:44 AM
runnerlk
Driver School Candidate

Hi I pondered the same question on the VSA vs CPO and opted for the CPO and the standard maintenance plan which I paid 1300.00 and includes all scheduled maintenance. Coming from a BMW, it was what I was used to.

Here is a statement from the Lexus CPO page and I verified it with my local dealer who is highly reputable. Basically CPO is an exclusionary warranty and only the items specifically excluded are not covered. Here is the excerpt from the web:

Also known as "factory coverage" and refers to the type of coverage the factory provides on a brand-new vehicle. This is the best and most comprehensive coverage available and is technically known as an "exclusionary warranty." In this type of coverage, EVERYTHING IS COVERED EXCEPT THE ITEMS EXCLUDED. A list of excluded items is provided and should be read carefully. This is the distinction between "named component" coverage and "exclusionary coverage." You should not assume that just because it is called "bumper-to-bumper" that it is true "exclusionary coverage". The true "bumper-to-bumper," "exclusionary coverage" has the following terminology: "Repairs on all assemblies (components) and parts are covered with the exception of those items listed in the exclusion section of this contract." (See: Under Warranty and Exclusions.)

Excluded components:

The following components are specifically excluded from coverage under the Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty:

Standard Upkeep Items:
accessory drive belts, batteries, filters, fluids, heating and vacuum hoses, lines and tubes, tires, spark plugs, windshield wiper blades (rubber component).

Wear and Tear:
Examples include brake pads, rotors, shoes and drums and manual clutches.

Body and Interior:
bumpers, carpet, chrome, dash cover and pad, door trim, handles, fabric, glass (including windshield), headliner, hinges, interior and exterior trim and moldings, cupholders, ashtrays, covers and vents, lightbulbs, nuts, bolts, clips, retainers and fasteners, paint, rust and corrosion damage, seat covers, shiny metals, weather stripping.

Accessories:
any non-Lexus accessories or modified components, including but not limited to wheels, radar detectors and cellular phones.

Other:
any component which has not failed, but that a repair facility recommends or requires to be replaced, repaired or adjusted.