IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

Winter Driving IS C

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-13, 03:45 PM
eet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Driving IS C

I am thinking about buying my first Lexus--IS Convertible and want to be able to drive it comfortably in the winter on Long Island (NY). We do get snow and/or ice but I don't plan to drive it during a blizzard!. I'm concerned about the rear wheel drive.

Should I be concerned? Must I get winter tires if I have the all weather tires on the car?

Would I be better off with the smaller or larger engine?
Old 08-09-13, 08:06 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by eet
I am thinking about buying my first Lexus--IS Convertible and want to be able to drive it comfortably in the winter on Long Island (NY). We do get snow and/or ice but I don't plan to drive it during a blizzard!. I'm concerned about the rear wheel drive.

Should I be concerned? Must I get winter tires if I have the all weather tires on the car?

Would I be better off with the smaller or larger engine?
Get winter tires for peace of mind. If you want to risk it, you can stick with the all seasons and just drive very carefully.
Old 08-11-13, 09:12 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts

What part of Long Island? Nassau is mostly flat except the north shore and some onramps. However, if you have to go up there or live in an area with hills, you should get snow tires. I lived on the island for the last 3 years. My RX350 did fine with all seasons. But that was mostly the AWD and driving very carefully knowing the truck wouldn't want to stop or turn. I wouldn't chance it with a 2wd car.