IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

Roof Rattle 2010 ISc

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-13, 05:48 PM
Machog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Rattle 2010 ISc

My otherwise flawless 2010 ISc has developed a strange rattle.

It seems to be above the passengers head, right in the corner. Its noticeable on rougher surfaces and has a distinct metallic sound.

I'm still under warranty, so Lex can sort it out, but its been totally silent for all of its 25k miles until now.

Any thoughts?

Tx Machog
Old 06-06-13, 11:34 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

I was asked one time at the dealer when I was in for service if I had any rattles from the roof area. It must be something that happens sometimes.
Old 06-12-13, 09:46 PM
conv350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Machog
My otherwise flawless 2010 ISc has developed a strange rattle.

It seems to be above the passengers head, right in the corner. Its noticeable on rougher surfaces and has a distinct metallic sound.

I'm still under warranty, so Lex can sort it out, but its been totally silent for all of its 25k miles until now.

Any thoughts?

Tx Machog
Yes mine has rattled off/on since around 1k miles. It gets fixed, is good for a while, then comes back. Then there was a service announcement, which they told me involves taking the whole thing apart and insulating. I don't know. It worked for a few thousand miles and now another one.
Old 08-15-13, 03:48 PM
Schtev1
Driver School Candidate

Default Roof Rattle 2010 IS

I have a 2010 IS350C. I recently had the roof rattle coming from drivers side - where the two windows meet at the roof line - I thought the windows were rubbing creating friction. When I was at the dealer they also informed me there was another 2010 with exact same problem. To fix, they first thought about replacing the weather stripping - then decided it was too much work as they then decided to replace rear window entirely as the piece came with new stripping attached - and was cheaper for them (as this is warranty work). Work was done and the rattle/friction sound is gone. So, seems like its the stripping.

Also for owners of this car, if you have squeaky front brakes, especially going in reverse - its not "condensation in the morning" as many will tell you, there is a TSB (toyota service bulletin)out on this and I had all new rotors and pads put on front under warranty.

hope this helps
Old 08-19-13, 01:44 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Used to have the same issue. When I told the dealer, their solution, or theory was that the roof was not sealing correctly when opened and closed. I'd reopen and close the top.That would work for a while. But the noise would crop back up.

My thought was that it was temperature related. Was very noisy in the winter. Not so much in the summer. But if you are AZ, you don't have the huge temp swings. Or do you? I guess you could if you are Flagstaff!
Old 11-19-13, 08:37 AM
STARBWOY
Driver School Candidate

Default Sattling/shaking

I have a same rattle but mines is coming from behined the dash on da the driver side sounds like a little pebble shaking in there, does anyone ecperience that ?
Old 11-19-13, 11:22 AM
13IS250C
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes I get a little "ticking" sound from mine. Mostly the passenger side. I find that lowering and raising the window helps sometimes.

A couple of times I have had a horrible squeaking sound coming from the dash on the driver's side. Thank goodness it only did it a couple of times.
Old 07-02-14, 12:37 AM
freeflight
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Schtev1
I have a 2010 IS350C. I recently had the roof rattle coming from drivers side - where the two windows meet at the roof line - I thought the windows were rubbing creating friction. When I was at the dealer they also informed me there was another 2010 with exact same problem. To fix, they first thought about replacing the weather stripping - then decided it was too much work as they then decided to replace rear window entirely as the piece came with new stripping attached - and was cheaper for them (as this is warranty work). Work was done and the rattle/friction sound is gone. So, seems like its the stripping.

Also for owners of this car, if you have squeaky front brakes, especially going in reverse - its not "condensation in the morning" as many will tell you, there is a TSB (toyota service bulletin)out on this and I had all new rotors and pads put on front under warranty.

hope this helps
Thanks for the info, I did notice some brake noise when backing up.
Old 07-10-14, 08:46 AM
13IS250C
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My windows now all make noise. Nth drivers side rear is the worst. Sometimes it sounds like it is in a bind and might just shatter. I'm about 400 miles from my 15 k checkup. I'll let y'all know what my SA says. It is quite unbareble! If my top isn't down, I have to drive with the window down a hair or it drives me insane. Louder radio doesn't help since it is right by my head.