IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

2012 IS350C Accident - One Tire or Two Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-12, 01:46 AM
alk3997
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2012 IS350C Accident - One Tire or Two Tires?

A Pasadena Plumbing Services van backed-out of a parking spot at a local shopping center and hit our 10-month old / 6,200 mile IS350C recently. All of the sheet metal that the plumbing van's tow hitch ripped-out (see photo) ended up against the passenger side rear tire which ended up with a 1/4" piece of tire missing. That tire will be replaced by the plumbing company's insurance (State Farm), along with all of the other damage repair.

I've always been told to replace tires in pairs. However, State Farm is refusing to do this. Are there any guidelines that I can use to show that it is unsafe or reduces value to only replace a single tire? Does anyone here have any experience in handling characteristics with a single tire replaced?

Anyone want to offer advice on the repair or any other parts of the interface with the insurance company? I understand dimishment of value and am trying to prepare for that while I wait for the body shop to get all of the parts needed for the repair.

I certainly miss our IS-350C but luckily no one was hurt. This was such an avoidable accident if reasonable care had been taken by the plumbing van's driver.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 IS350C Accident - One Tire or Two Tires?-is350c-damage.jpg  

Last edited by alk3997; 11-28-12 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-28-12, 02:11 AM
tedward88
Pole Position

Ouch! That sucks!

Generally people would recommend replacing them in pairs. If you can't persuade their insurance to pay for 2 tires, I'd make sure the new tire gets shaved to match the other side's tire so you know you have even wear.

Just some advice, make sure you take it to the best body shop of your choice around your area, never let the other party's insurance company boss you around if you think it is unfair.
Old 11-28-12, 07:44 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tedward88
Ouch! That sucks!

Generally people would recommend replacing them in pairs. If you can't persuade their insurance to pay for 2 tires, I'd make sure the new tire gets shaved to match the other side's tire so you know you have even wear.

Just some advice, make sure you take it to the best body shop of your choice around your area, never let the other party's insurance company boss you around if you think it is unfair.
Yes to taking it to a high end body shop they will do the job to your satisfaction not the insurance company's satisfaction. Stick to your guns and insist. One the tire issue go to a good tire shop and ask them if they would replace only one tire if you came in with a flat to one tire that couldn't be repaired. If they tell you they would have to replace both ask them to put that in writing and give it to the insurance company.
It is your car not the insurance company's you have to be happy with the car forever.
Old 11-28-12, 10:17 AM
alk3997
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. The insurance company called and said they would replace both rear tires and the rear wheel that was hit (rather than trying to refurb the rear wheel). I'm very grateful and pleased. Again, thank you for the good words. Unfortunately, I suspect there are more battles ahead (but I hope not).