IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

Performance Exhaust for 2010 convertible

Old 11-29-11, 04:29 PM
ElGordito
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Exhaust for 2010 convertible

Hello all,
I am new to the forums and to Lexus. I have recently purchased a 2010 IS350C. I am totally thrilled with it except it is a bit on the quiet side. I am sure lots of folks love the quiet, but I would like a little sportier sound.

From what I can tell, the Tanabe is not an option for the convertibles. The Tanabe seems to have a great mix of low tones and not to loud performance sound and I was sold on it until I found It didn't fit my car.

Looks like the FSport will fit, but I am concerned it might be a bit too aggressive.

I am hoping for any IS convertible owners whom have made exhaust upgrades to share their experiences.

Thank you!
Old 11-30-11, 04:28 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the F-sport exhaust on my vert. I had the Tanabe on my sedan.

Here's my personal observations of the two (shortly after getting the exhaust):
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ervations.html

And here's someone personal observations of going sedan Tanabe to sedan F-sport:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-part-2-a.html

I've only got about 7500 miles on my car now. It *seems* like the exhaust got a little louder (but still not obnoxious). My only complaint/noteworthy comment is that it sometimes gets loud (almost drony, but not as bad as a v8 engine) when the engine gets to it's lowest rpm/idle point when decelerating to a stop, which is only for a very brief time because the actual idle when stopped isn't at that point. Not enough to really cause a headache like a v8 mustang or something would, but noticeable. It also does this when you first start the car, when it idles slightly higher for about 10 seconds.

Last edited by mikes rx; 11-30-11 at 04:35 AM.
Old 12-01-11, 07:07 AM
ElGordito
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikes rx
I've got the F-sport exhaust on my vert. I had the Tanabe on my sedan.

Here's my personal observations of the two (shortly after getting the exhaust):
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ervations.html

And here's someone personal observations of going sedan Tanabe to sedan F-sport:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-part-2-a.html

I've only got about 7500 miles on my car now. It *seems* like the exhaust got a little louder (but still not obnoxious). My only complaint/noteworthy comment is that it sometimes gets loud (almost drony, but not as bad as a v8 engine) when the engine gets to it's lowest rpm/idle point when decelerating to a stop, which is only for a very brief time because the actual idle when stopped isn't at that point. Not enough to really cause a headache like a v8 mustang or something would, but noticeable. It also does this when you first start the car, when it idles slightly higher for about 10 seconds.
Thank you!, Thank you!

This is exactly the input I am looking for.

I notice, in the threads, there is reference to the term "growl" and it seems to be associated with a mid-ranged sound. In some of the you-tube "audio test" videos, especially those with a modified or replaced midpipe, I hear a Brraaaapp-ey sound I kinda associate with those tin-can muffilers some put on their Hundais to get lots of attention. But I also know no you-tube video in the world can replicate the sound as if really being there...

I know everyone has their own opinion on what sounds best. For me, the "Brraaaapp" is just noise. Is this what is meant by "rice-burner?"

Do you know what I mean by this sound and can you compare it to the "growl" terminology found in the threads?

My goal is to step up from the factory exhaust to something more sporty. I feel like the car has the look and now needs the sound.

Thank you again for replying and providing such good information!
Old 12-01-11, 08:22 AM
mikes rx

Well I'm a gear head, have owned 4, 6, and 8 cylinder vehicles, most with exhaust kits and have heard many others in my life.

I will tell you that I think the f-sport will do exactly what you want. It will make it sporty without being cumbersome or annoying.

Just keep in mind that this is a V6 engine. No, it by no means sounds like your typical civic with an exhaust. However, it by no means has the "raw" sound of a V8 mustang either. Instead, it almost has a kinda pur to it, but when you open it up it does get a little raspy/throaty....again in comparison to american v8 engines in trucks/mustangs/etc. If I were comparing it to a inline-4 I would say that it's definitely deeper without the high-pitch motorcycle-like sound that you typically hear coming from a civic with exhaust.

I've only actually followed my car once or twice from the outside, but I would say the following
In this video, I think the sound is slightly deeper than what I've heard when the car is accelerating: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb_d5iuSvU8
In this video, I think the sound is a slightly more higher pitched than I remember from my car (note at the very end it's hitting the rev limiter which is why it sounds like that): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97h3w1hhjvw

So, if you don't mind something that falls between those two, you should be good to go.

I can't comment on the braaaap noise ...I'm not quite sure what you're referring to, especially since you referenced it with regard to midpipe changes, which I don't really read about since it's never been something I was interested in. My suggestion would maybe be to search the forum for midpipe, and see what people say with regard to how it changes the sound, and use that as a reference for how it might change.

Also, it looks really sweet, as it kinda slopes upward slightly to give a nice look under the rear bumper (although maybe that's due to my lowering springs????), vs the stock exhaust which not only looks ugly but also appears to go straight out. I know it sounds stupid, but when you see it you'll know what I'm talking about. Looking at the car from the rear 3/4 view forward looks great.

Last edited by mikes rx; 12-01-11 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-01-11, 11:43 AM
ElGordito
Driver School Candidate

Mikes RX,
Thanks! You have been exceptionally helpful. Those were great clips, and your description and comparison add so much. It is one thing to listen to a bunch of you-tube videos, it is entirely different to have first hand experience. Thank you for sharing yours.

This is the kind of sound I do not find attractive, although I am sure there are lots who do. Everyone has their own tastes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejWAKHx3jQI

Based on your descriptions and insight, I think the FSport exhaust is a good choice for me.

Thank you for all your help!

Let me know if you have any comments on the above clip. :-)
Old 12-01-11, 02:07 PM
mikes rx

Uh yeah, the difference between that and the clips I posted are what a midpipe does LOL.

But, don't get me wrong, the V6 is still going to have a little rasp to it like the other videos suggest.....just not at the loudness level as having the midpipe.

Again, though, my comparison is based off this exhaust setup, which I had on my previous mustang:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ut-0708_sw

Last edited by mikes rx; 12-01-11 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-03-12, 04:23 PM
GaryH53
Driver School Candidate

Default Price for F-Sport Exhaust

I am new and posted, asked this question in another section, but no one answered me so I'll ask it here. I have a 2010 is350c and would like the F Sport exhaust. Is $1,215.00 the best price I can expect? I found it on ebay.
Thanks!

Last edited by GaryH53; 05-03-12 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-07-12, 05:35 PM
fknISC808
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryH53
I am new and posted, asked this question in another section, but no one answered me so I'll ask it here. I have a 2010 is350c and would like the F Sport exhaust. Is $1,215.00 the best price I can expect? I found it on ebay.
Thanks!
$1176.99 if you sign up with your clublexus account they give a CL discount.

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2011/4770.html