IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

IS C top operation

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-11, 12:27 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default IS C top operation

I know the top will not operate on the 2010 IS C while in motion. Will it operate on any new(er) IS C while in motion? Is there a way around this?
Old 10-23-11, 06:51 PM
LDNN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do you have the need to operate the top while in motion? I hope not for the "cool factor". The car is cool enough. I believe that was designed to keep you AND other drivers around you safe.
Old 10-23-11, 07:19 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by miniz
I know the top will not operate on the 2010 IS C while in motion. Will it operate on any new(er) IS C while in motion? Is there a way around this?
I can't see why it would. Nothing's different between the models

Originally Posted by LDNN
Why do you have the need to operate the top while in motion? I hope not for the "cool factor". The car is cool enough. I believe that was designed to keep you AND other drivers around you safe.
Actually, it's quite annoying on the ISC cause you have to be at almost a complete stop (ie- BARELY moving is OK).....which kinda sucks when you're in bumper to bumper traffic or at a traffic light and want to raise or lower the top.

20 seconds may not seem like a lot, but when you're actually stopping traffic to do so it is.

Obviously all verts are gonna be different, but it's easy to appreciate those that even have a 10 mph limit vs the ISC which is seriously like 2 mph.

Last edited by mikes rx; 10-23-11 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-23-11, 07:39 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost hit a pole when I put the top down in the is c I was looking at .
Old 10-23-11, 08:29 PM
wslwang
Driver School Candidate

I don't think it will work that way and I don't even want to try. I have seen other car doing it while moving (forgot what car , just remember it's an European) and looks very stupid to me.

I did lower the top one time in traffic hour and 20 second won't make your neighbor horn because they can't go anywhere faster anyway. I found they rather to sit and enjoy watching my top open.

Top opening is a "style". Stop your car and do it with your pride.
Old 10-23-11, 08:36 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wslwang
I don't think it will work that way and I don't even want to try. I have seen other car doing it while moving (forgot what car , just remember it's an European) and looks very stupid to me.

I did lower the top one time in traffic hour and 20 second won't make your neighbor horn because they can't go anywhere faster anyway. I found they rather to sit and enjoy watching my top open.

Top opening is a "style". Stop your car and do it with your pride.
I used to drive a convertible and this is pretty much what I did. Though more often than not I never had the need to drop the top or close it in the middle of traffic. Even if it was getting ready to rain I would always pull over and do it just for the sake of not holding someone up behind me.
Old 10-24-11, 06:46 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

I know on my S2K the e brake has to be up to put the top up or down. A lot of people pull a fuse or wire a different way so they can raise/lower the top while going slow. It would come in handy in traffic when it starts to rain!
Old 08-12-12, 09:14 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the hard top convertible tops, the car has to be in a complete stop, with soft or cloth tops, som car manufacturers allow speeds up to 20 mph, which was a convenience in very rare situations. Love the ride of the hard top convertible that Lexus made, essentially two cars in one.
Old 08-13-12, 12:07 AM
ISCjonny
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the reason that almost all HARD top convertible's require the car to be stopped for operation is for the safety not only for you but for the car itself. Look at how many moving parts, hinges, and hydraulic cylinders there are to operate the retractable top and not to mention your trunk opens back almost completely vertical.

Yea it would be more convenient at the moment to be able to drop the top or put it up while rolling at a slow speed. But what if you go over some uneven pavement and it shakes the car and the alignment of the roof is thrown off. I would rather just take the 20 seconds at a stand still than have to deal with a misaligned roof.
Old 08-13-12, 07:28 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Twenty seconds is not to long and if you know your lights you can time it so no one waits if you want to drop the top. If it does change to green you can roll very slow till it finishes the opperation. I have tried slow rolling while opening and it seem worse than just sitting till it opens.
Old 08-28-12, 07:26 AM
Bleezy
Lead Lap

I would never want to risk any damage opening it while moving. 20 seconds isn't bad at all, I have dropped it in traffic and stop lights many times. People are too busy oooooh-ing and ahhhhhh-ing over the top to honk at you anyways!
Old 08-29-12, 03:18 PM
fknISC808
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

to piggy back on what ISCJonny is saying this is what it looks like in our trunk. I would say 5-10mph would be nice but the only reason to do such a thing was if your stuck in the middle of a 6 lane freeway and it starts to rain.

Old 08-29-12, 10:54 PM
wslwang
Driver School Candidate

Wow!!! What did you do with your trunk?!
Old 08-30-12, 03:56 PM
fknISC808
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wslwang
Wow!!! What did you do with your trunk?!
Older models come with a beige trunk and I hated it. ripped it all out and dyed it black along with redoing my trunk setup. going to add Dynomat along with other things. Kinda like ISCJonnys trunk setup