IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

C&D comparo hardtop converts. SPoiler inside....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 05:32 PM
LexFather

Post C&D comparo hardtop converts. SPoiler inside....

1. 328
2. A5 softop
3. G37c
4. ISc

In summary they didn't like the IS b/c of the rear look and the steering/handling.

What is funny are these observations.

0-60
1. IS-5.2
2. G37 5.6
3. A5-6.4
4. 328- 7.2

Also the IS was lightest in class and the least expensive here (I think). The G37 with more power is slower again. The 328 is a full 2 seconds slower with around the same price. The BMW did not have NAV.

The A5 is a 4 cylinder and a softtop. It was $62,000.

Its like the other ratings don't matter.

Last edited by LexFather; 02-24-10 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-24-10, 05:35 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

^

Good to knoaw haha ISx ftw!
Old 02-24-10, 05:42 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just because its a Toyota..(like all fanboys call it..)
Old 02-24-10, 05:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll read it when it arrives, for giggles.
Old 02-24-10, 08:33 PM
Crester
Driver School Candidate

Meh... it's Car and Driver... they almost always end up choosing the BMW.
Old 02-24-10, 08:38 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

How is the IS consistently SO FAST? Putting down a 5.2 0-60 even with all that extra weight.

I must say the ISc is probably the ugliest out of these four but the numbers speak for themselves. I wish Lexus would equip their cars standard with the F-sport suspension because it apparently makes the IS handle really quite well and then we wouldn't see the IS consistently get last place for the same problems over and over again.
Old 02-24-10, 08:40 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Duh....don't y'all know.

It doesn't matter what they're "testing" for (ie- best "sports" car, best "driver's" car, best whatever)...

CAUSE THEY ALWAYS CLAIM THE BMW AS THE WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, reading car magazines is getting to be annoying, cause they're never consistent in what they're looking for........the only thing they're consistent about is that a BMW is like god's gift to cars. Go back and read all the different comparos:

**Looks are always taken into account when it means that another car is better in performance and value but not as nice looking as a BMW
**Performance is always taken into account when it means that the BMW was the fastest around the track, no matter what the cost is vs others.
**Value is taken into account when it means that the BMW is cheaper than an overpriced, comparably equipped but better performing Audi or MB
**BMW reliability/issues are NEVER mentioned

I'm not trying to hate on the BMW, and I'm not trying to defend my reasoning for buying a Lexus. But there's a reason that not everyone buys BMW

Last edited by mikes rx; 02-24-10 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-24-10, 08:48 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^---Amen to that. They're too bias.
Old 02-24-10, 09:17 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

The IS would be my last choice if I were buying one of those cars. I just don't like how the rear looks. It doesn't matter to me that it's the fastest.
Old 02-24-10, 09:21 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

i thought G37 is faster than the IS350, i remember some members mentioned this before...
Old 02-24-10, 09:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by someboy
i thought G37 is faster than the IS350, i remember some members mentioned this before...
They are wrong. It's never been faster even with the bigger engine and new 7speed auto.

The g37c here had a simply ridiculous over 4100 curb weight and to make things worse they complained that cowl shake was pretty bad.
Old 02-24-10, 09:39 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Duh....don't y'all know.

It doesn't matter what they're "testing" for (ie- best "sports" car, best "driver's" car, best whatever)...

CAUSE THEY ALWAYS CLAIM THE BMW AS THE WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haven't you seen the Audi commercials recently? C&D has been giving Audi more love than BMW these days in comparo tests.

That being said, no way in hell does the A5 cabrio deserve to beat the 328.
Old 02-24-10, 09:42 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Duh....don't y'all know.

Seriously, reading car magazines is getting to be annoying, cause they're never consistent in what they're looking for........the only thing they're consistent about is that a BMW is like god's gift to cars. Go back and read all the different comparos:

**Looks are always taken into account when it means that another car is better in performance and value but not as nice looking as a BMW
**Performance is always taken into account when it means that the BMW was the fastest around the track, no matter what the cost is vs others.
**Value is taken into account when it means that the BMW is cheaper than an overpriced, comparably equipped but better performing Audi or MB
**BMW reliability/issues are NEVER mentioned

I'm not trying to hate on the BMW, and I'm not trying to defend my reasoning for buying a Lexus. But there's a reason that not everyone buys BMW
im with you on that one man! my justification for driving a nice lexus- is seeing a nice BMW ride on the road with its hazards on. saw three on the 57 today heading back home. one had a little too much smoke fuming from its hood, and the other two seems to just have an engine/electrical problem. the reliability was a major selling point for me, considering i dont think its cool to be driving around my family or friends and suddenly the car isnt working as it should: taking us to where we need to go.

its true the BMW does well around a track, but how many track like streets are there? hardly any. also, BMW's value is also lower because they dont offer some things that lexus drivers and even some non lexus drivers crave in terms of luxury. in the end, car and driver is allowed to publish what it wants, but i have a strong feeling its not getting that many subscribers because of its biased viewpoint.
Old 02-24-10, 09:42 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I would take the A5 first, then the IS. I think convertibles are more about sex-appeal, image, and cruising. The Audi has all the right lines to me eye.
Old 02-24-10, 09:47 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If a Lexus doesn't automatically get a last-place finish in C&D just because it's a Lexus, that's a better than expected result.

Good to know that the IS-C is lightest in class and has the fastest 0-60 time! That's a pleasant surprise. Of course it's all about the overall package and while the IS-C may not look to everyone's taste, I think it does have significant merits.

Quick Reply: C&D comparo hardtop converts. SPoiler inside....