IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Text Messages

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-17, 10:19 AM
nealw
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Text Messages

Does anyone else have a problem with text messages displaying on there screen? I have a Samsung S7 Edge and one time when you get in the car the text comes across fine, same day get back in to drive it doesn't work. Turn Bluetooth off & on, turn car off & on - nothing. My wife connects her identical phone and it works?? 2016 Is 200T.
Any suggestions other than the newer nav/media screen is a lot worse than my 2010 IS,I believe Lexus has gone backwards with this.
Old 03-19-17, 10:28 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

1st: Go into your Bluetooth page of your phone and verify that your car, "Lexus IS" had enable text messages.

If this doesn't work.

2nd: Unpaired the Bluetooth from the phone and car. Turn off car and phone, give it 5 mins. Turn them both on, and repair the bluetooth. For androids, once you try to establish a bluetooth connection, it will ask to "ALLOW" message, click allow.

3rd: If this doesn't work, if you had update the S7, there may be compatibility issues with the system and phone. soo yeaaah
Old 03-19-17, 04:31 PM
nealw
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your suggestions - I did check for text messaging to see if it was on and it was and I unpaired and paired my phone but did not wait 5 min. I just shut the car off, walked around am car show for 2 hrs then got back in to drive home. I didn't make any changes to my phone or I hope the car didn't make changes while it was parked and locked.
I will check for updates on my Samsung but I know my wife's phone is at the same rel. as mine and we paired hers on the drive home and she received a text.
I really think Lexus has some issues with there new units.
Old 03-19-17, 05:35 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Hmm.. a lot of the time its the phone that is causing the issue. If your wife's phone could receive text on your IS. Then its not the car.

I have a galaxy S5 (old i know), and it works 90% of the time. When I get a text on my phone, it will pop up onto the screen within 5 seconds. However, sometimes it doesn't show up on screen. It doesn't really bother me as much, since ya know... your're driving. Text can wait =]

& I agree, Lexus' systems aren't the best in term of connected technology. So yeahhhh....
Old 03-23-17, 01:36 PM
Fsport4sho
Driver School Candidate

Mine seems to only show the notification for Texts if im under a certain speed. Not talking about the readout or anything , it wont pop up the notification unless im going under like 10mph. On a Galaxy s7 Edge.
Old 03-23-17, 03:13 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Mine doesn't work at all lol on Iphone 5C
Old 03-23-17, 03:16 PM
Viktimize
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsport4sho
Mine seems to only show the notification for Texts if im under a certain speed. Not talking about the readout or anything , it wont pop up the notification unless im going under like 10mph. On a Galaxy s7 Edge.
It should still give you notifications no matter what speed you're going. That's how you can select the option to have them voice read to you through the speakers. But if you're going below a certain speed or stopped, it will actually spell the message out on the display. At speed it won't spell the message out, only voice dictate it.
Old 03-23-17, 07:46 PM
Chris442
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Galaxy S6 and ran into a similar problem after changing a text message setting. Under "Message Settings" check "Advanced Messaging" and ensure "Use Advanced Messaging" is disabled. This may only apply to the ATT network but once I removed this setting I now receive texts every time I'm in my car.
Old 03-24-17, 03:42 AM
Fsport4sho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chris442
I have a Galaxy S6 and ran into a similar problem after changing a text message setting. Under "Message Settings" check "Advanced Messaging" and ensure "Use Advanced Messaging" is disabled. This may only apply to the ATT network but once I removed this setting I now receive texts every time I'm in my car.
gonna give this a try. It does almost seem random how only some show. Thanks!
Old 03-24-17, 11:19 AM
nealw
Driver School Candidate

I'm glad to see that I am not alone with issues with new nav / media system. It's great how my '14 Tacoma doesn't have any problems with connecting via Bluetooth.