IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

DRL and fog lights on together?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-17, 04:18 AM
vodee3is
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRL and fog lights on together?

Hey guys, i have a 2016 IS300 NON F-sport, and i was wondering is you can keep your DRL lights on with your fog lights...from what i tried, you can only do parking lights and the fog lights stay off.. any input on this?
Old 03-16-17, 10:44 AM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting question... I haven't heard or seen anyone attempting to do this.
Just curious, why would you want the fog light to be on with DRL?
Old 03-16-17, 11:04 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't get it, just open the fog light the DRLs are always on.
Old 03-16-17, 02:13 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

If I'm understanding this correctly, vodee3is wants the fog lights to be on with the DRL only, and not the Park lights and headlights.
Being in a 2104 IS250 F-Sport myself I don't have fogs, but my other vehicle (2014 Toyota Highlander) does have factory fogs.
In that vehicle the fog lights only come on when the headlights are on. If only the DRL and/or Park lights are on, the fog lights won't come on even if the switch is set to the ON position.
I guess the rationale is that if you need the extra light to see from the fog lights, then you should have your headlights on already.

I believe that vodee3is is going for an aesthetic look rather than functionality.

I think a creative look at the lighting wiring diagram will reveal a way to make the fog lights think the headlights are on, without actually having the headlights on.
At the end of the day the fog lights are looking for an input that says the headlights are on...it doesn't mean they actually need to be on.
Old 03-16-17, 03:21 PM
vodee3is
Driver School Candidate

Yeah checked with some guys at work and the only way is to run a different switch for the fog lights on a different circuit.
Old 03-16-17, 04:03 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vodee3is
Yeah checked with some guys at work and the only way is to run a different switch for the fog lights on a different circuit.
The fog lights are controlled by an ECU that is controlled by the Main Body ECU...By time you bypass everything to make them work it's going to be a mess.
I think your coworkers are correct...a separate relay, switch, fuse, and wiring to the existing fog light wire from the controlling ECU is the only way.
You could hook it up in a way that it would function normally as intended with the new fog light switch in the OFF position, but then you could flip that switch and the fogs would come on.

It was a good thought and would probably look pretty cool, but damn it's like work.
Old 03-16-17, 04:13 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The fog lights are controlled by an ECU that is controlled by the Main Body ECU...By time you bypass everything to make them work it's going to be a mess.
I think your coworkers are correct...a separate relay, switch, fuse, and wiring to the existing fog light wire from the controlling ECU is the only way.
You could hook it up in a way that it would function normally as intended with the new fog light switch in the OFF position, but then you could flip that switch and the fogs would come on.

It was a good thought and would probably look pretty cool, but damn it's like work.
When I had my fog lights installed I had them run it so I can turn them on whenever I wanted regardless of headlight setting. It does look cool (which is really all I wanted).
Old 03-16-17, 04:26 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by doodlebug
When I had my fog lights installed I had them run it so I can turn them on whenever I wanted regardless of headlight setting. It does look cool (which is really all I wanted).
doodlebug might be onto something.
If you purchased the harness and switch from an aftermarket JDM supplier like iJDMTOYS, you could hook that up to the fog lights using their harness and switch.
Depending how you hook up that harness you could disable the factory fog switch, or leave it so both switches work, but just function differently. The OEM switch would function as per spec and the other switch would just be an on/off.
Old 03-16-17, 04:55 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

possible to do if you do it by adding a separate switch. Not possible to do it without adding one due to the way the factory fog light switch is integrated with the light switch stalk on steering column.

Last edited by specONE; 03-17-17 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-17-17, 04:47 AM
vodee3is
Driver School Candidate

yeah i wanted it so the fogs, parking lights and DRLS are on.
Old 03-17-17, 12:17 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

In my country the car doesn't come with the yellow lights thats why I can open the fog lights and the DRL together or any of them alone.
Old 03-18-17, 10:35 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

@vodee3IS - Last thought on this one.

On the iJDMToys website, they have a video of how to wire their F Sport fog lights up to the DRL above in the bumper.
If you hooked them up this way, then the fogs would come on with the DRL, and the Park lights can be turned on as you like...and the headlights don't need to be on.
The downside is that the fogs are always on with the DRL and there is no way to shut them off without turning the DRL off.
Old 09-20-19, 03:37 PM
NixGS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Ill just leave this here..https://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/index...product_id=190
Old 01-30-20, 12:14 PM
Embrac3
Driver School Candidate

Default Foglights w DRLS

BUMP...Did anybody figure this out? I purchased the idmtoys H11 Relay Harness but I havent started the install cause I dont know what Im doing...

I have the NON Fsport 3IS and want to achieve the look vodee3IS is attempting

https://store.ijdmtoy.com/products/w...adapter-aa1109
Old 01-30-20, 01:22 PM
logix1229
Rookie

That’s JDM YO!

Quick Reply: DRL and fog lights on together?