IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How much work to install a subwoofer and amp on non-ML IS250?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-17, 05:13 PM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How much work to install a subwoofer and amp on non-ML IS250?

I have a 2014 IS250 F-Sport w/ Nav standard audio non-ML and would like to add a subwoofer and amp. Does the power to the subwoofer amp need to come directly from the battery or can it be ported from the factory amp in the back? If I need to run my own wires all the way from the battery, how much work will be involved? Any guides? Thanks.
Old 03-10-17, 05:27 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Same car I have vital, except the Canadian version.
The factory stereo amp on the non-ML audio is built into the radio unit, so unfortunately there is no separate amp in the back.
Old 03-10-17, 06:31 PM
vital
Intermediate

Where can I get a custom subwoofer enclosure like this?

Old 03-11-17, 12:48 PM
jmoses77
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sub enclosure

Originally Posted by vital
Where can I get a custom subwoofer enclosure like this?

Check out my thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...w-sub-box.html

The custom enclosure is still about three weeks out but after mine is installed the shop is going to start making them. PM me is you would like contact details for the shop.

Cheers
Old 03-11-17, 07:47 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

I have a 2014 IS250 F-Sport w/ Nav standard audio non-ML and would like to add a subwoofer and amp. Does the power to the subwoofer amp need to come directly from the battery or can it be ported from the factory amp in the back? If I need to run my own wires all the way from the battery, how much work will be involved? Any guides? Thanks.
You will need to run wires directly from the battery to the back. You can run the power from the battery to the trunk by running the wires from under the door sills on the driver side and rear left passenger side. Maybe someone on the forums can tell you how they ran the power cable from the battery to the inside of the cabin, since I haven't done it myself on this vehicle.
Old 03-12-17, 05:21 PM
vital
Intermediate

Is a JL 10w6 too much bass and a waste of money to go w/ the stock audio? Should I go w/ a 10w3 instead?
Old 03-12-17, 05:40 PM
jmoses77
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is a JL 10w6 too much bass and a waste of money to go w/ the stock audio? Should I go w/ a 10w3 instead?

I was told that a 10w7 is like "blow your ears out" loud. I think that a 10w6 would be only marginally quieter than that. I went with a 10w3 to attempt to compliment the stock system rather than drown it out. I am pretty sure that it will provide enough bottom end to fill out the stock sound but not drown it out. It has the potential to compliment an aftermarket set up should I decide to go that route later on.
Old 03-13-17, 01:58 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Same car I have vital, except the Canadian version.
The factory stereo amp on the non-ML audio is built into the radio unit, so unfortunately there is no separate amp in the back.
Not true. There is a factory (non-ML) amp in the back that drives the rear speakers and stock subwoofer.
Besides from running the power cable from battery to the amplifier, you would also need to get the signals from the rear sub wires. To do this, you need to tap into the rear sub wires (at the stock amp) with an inline converter with RCA output to your amplifier.

I haven't messed with audio in a while but if you're not familiar with this, it will be quite a task to take on. Especially if you're splitting stock speaker wires.
10W6 is overkill and will rattle the-hell-outta everything in your car. Basically all you'll hear is bass and trunk rattle. Go with the 10w3.
Old 03-14-17, 01:02 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 600rr
Not true. There is a factory (non-ML) amp in the back that drives the rear speakers and stock subwoofer.
Besides from running the power cable from battery to the amplifier, you would also need to get the signals from the rear sub wires. To do this, you need to tap into the rear sub wires (at the stock amp) with an inline converter with RCA output to your amplifier.

I haven't messed with audio in a while but if you're not familiar with this, it will be quite a task to take on. Especially if you're splitting stock speaker wires.
10W6 is overkill and will rattle the-hell-outta everything in your car. Basically all you'll hear is bass and trunk rattle. Go with the 10w3.

I stand corrected...600rr is correct, the factory non-ML system does have a separate amp in the right rear of the trunk. Not sure how I missed it before, but that is where it should be.
Old 03-15-17, 05:37 AM
vital
Intermediate

Where is the factory subwoofer located and what's its specs?
Old 03-15-17, 07:32 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Where is the factory subwoofer located and what's its specs?
I believe it's #11 in the pic below...however I was wrong about the amp before.
Old 03-15-17, 09:06 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,655 Posts

See the link in my sig how to do it!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-too-easy.html
Old 03-15-17, 09:28 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by premier3IS
You will need to run wires directly from the battery to the back. You can run the power from the battery to the trunk by running the wires from under the door sills on the driver side and rear left passenger side. Maybe someone on the forums can tell you how they ran the power cable from the battery to the inside of the cabin, since I haven't done it myself on this vehicle.
pretty easy. Have to poke a hole in the big grommet in the firewall (seal it with clear silicone caulking from the hardware store afterwards so you keep a seal) and run the wire down the side of the car. Pop panels off using fingers, open all doors, and pull up bench seat and fold down split seats. Carefully tuck and run the wire. Don't do it too tight, give it some slack. Avoid sharp metal edges, tuck in the wire on the side sills in the factory wire holders. Voila. Definitely need to run an 8 gauge wire. cannot tap off factory amp power. you will overload the wire and cause a fire.
Old 03-15-17, 10:36 AM
Sephiroth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I believe it's #11 in the pic below...however I was wrong about the amp before.
Do you know if speakers 2,4,5,6, & 12 are tweeters?
Old 03-15-17, 01:07 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

IIRC, they're midrange w/ tweeter built in. at least the corner ones in front.

it's been a while since i looked into it...

i wanted to upgrade my speakers only but it doesn't seem possible.

Quick Reply: How much work to install a subwoofer and amp on non-ML IS250?