OCbeachguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

22k miles and Bridgestone potenzas.
Old 03-16-17, 09:45 AM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought the same thing about my IS350 when I got it. For me lowering the tire pressure to 32psi (cold) made the sensation go away. Give it a try.

Last edited by akshunj; 03-16-17 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Bad grammar
The following 2 users liked this post by akshunj:
Ciggy (04-10-17), OCbeachguy (04-07-17)
Old 03-16-17, 07:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

If they are the oem tires they can need replacement even at 20k. Maybe there is abnormal wear on the tread which is difficult to see.
Old 03-17-17, 06:09 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 387
If they are the oem tires they can need replacement even at 20k. Maybe there is abnormal wear on the tread which is difficult to see.
Agree ! even tires were fresh out from the factory can be defected too, trust me tires are the main play role in suspension geometry and then shock/strut along with camber/toe/bushing, Toyota/Lexus don't have caster don't know about the newest model. Germans Transmissions are flawless but Toyota/Lexus Suspension component is unbreakable, my 2000 TRD Toyota Solara is 300k KM + except endlink and Tokico Strut, the rest are still original from the 1st day bought from Toyota, Waterpump still OEM from factory except timing belt replace 180k KM ago. oh Ya one of the endlink is still factory OEM, Even though i bought Lexus but i still love the Toyota Solara still driving the 2 cars Lexus and Toyota. The thing is, it's still STRONG and PULL HARD.
Old 04-07-17, 03:18 PM
OCbeachguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Much better!

Originally Posted by akshunj
I thought the same thing about my IS350 when I got it. For me lowering the tire pressure to 32psi (cold) made the sensation go away. Give it a try.
akshunj- thank you so much! Although the wandering is still present, your fix improved the steering greatly, as long as tire pressure remains below 35-36 lbs. As the temperature rises, the issue returns.
The following 2 users liked this post by OCbeachguy:
Ciggy (04-10-17), OwnerSince1990 (06-03-23)
Old 10-11-19, 09:43 AM
Uberdriver
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OCBeachguy:
I know this is coming to you a couple of years later, but...
I had my dealership replace my entire steering rack free of charge. I am not the original owner, but I purchased my car as a Certified-preowned. It is a 2013 GS350 F-sport. I found the service bulletin recommending replacement, but it was for earlier models. Nevertheless, I took a test drive with the Shop Forman and had him take the car up on the freeway. As you know, the problem does not really become troublesome and very noticeable until you get about 60 MPH.

It wasn't tire suspension, wrong tire pressure, etc... It is a defective steering rack!!

I hope you are still enjoying your ride and if you are still having to "deal with" a non optimal driving experience -- insist on this work!! The driving experience is night and day better!!!
The following users liked this post:
OwnerSince1990 (06-03-23)
Old 10-28-19, 12:17 PM
mellofrank
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Steering stIcks

Originally Posted by Solara350
Camber ! if it's Toe then the car will pulls one side, but ya alignment shop will fix them all, when i have alignment issue i 1st check my tires pressure 2nd Wheel balance and then alignment, bad tires, low pressure or Camber also makes car wander at certain speed.
I have a Lexus GS 350 that slightly sticks in the steering wheel also but it does it only on the highway when I reach 65 mph & higher.
Old 10-28-19, 12:56 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by mellofrank
I have a Lexus GS 350 that slightly sticks in the steering wheel also but it does it only on the highway when I reach 65 mph & higher.
To clarify, is it wandering, or is the wheel getting "locked" or "stuck" in position? I think there's a separate thread in the GS forum about the latter issue.
Old 10-28-19, 04:21 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
To clarify, is it wandering, or is the wheel getting "locked" or "stuck" in position? I think there's a separate thread in the GS forum about the latter issue.
Thanks for that, I'm going to look for that thread, as I've noticed this in my 2014 IS 350 AWD when cruising down a straight stretch for awhile (in the 70-85 MPH range), the steering wheel requires a bit of a 'nudge' to start rounding a curve.
Old 10-28-19, 04:24 PM
Uberdriver
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mellofrank
Mellofrank:

Based on your description and others in this thread, I can state without hesitation that it is a design issue with the steering rack. Look up Lexus Service Bulletin L-SB-0016-11.
Even though my car was a later model, the dealership did the repair. I guess it depends alot on how good the dealership people are. The head mechanic and Redwood City Lexus did the test drive with me. I'll try to attach the bulletin here. Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-SB-0016-11 (2).pdf (194.2 KB, 583 views)
Old 04-12-20, 08:41 PM
l0l0pr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Hey OCbeachguy...seems like a lot of great feedback on tires, alignment, and steering...and all quite possible.
It's hard to believe that you are having such issues with such a new car, especially a Lexus...but stuff happens.

If the vehicle is wondering to the left AND to the right when at speed, then i would suggest that it's not an alignment issue...or at least it's less likely to be an alignment issue.
Alignment issues are usually a single issue...meaning...the vehicle will either wander to the left OR the right (indicating a Camber issue), but not both.
Another issue is the steering being off center (indicating a Toes issue), but it will only be off center to one side, not both sides.

The issues you are describing are usually related to worn suspension or a steering issue.
Worn springs and/or shocks/struts can cause wandering, especially at highway speed.
If a spring is weak, or a shock is leaking, then a side to side wandering can occur with the vehicle at speed.
Given the age of your vehicle, hard to believe this may have happened....but like I said, stuff happens.

Lastly as the vehicle has electric steering, it's possible that if the steering hasn't been calibrated properly, that wandering may also occur at speed.
The calibration could have been undone by some type of steering related repair, or maybe an alignment was done and the steering not calibrated after.
A simple calibration performed using the Toyota/Lexus scan tool will address any calibration issues.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Hi everyone,
Sasnuke you are correct on the calibration part! A zero point calibration is required to correct the wondering issue. My is250 was suffering from it till I read about the zero point calibration and decided to do the calibration (techstream is needed for this) and after the calibration no more wondering issues.

How to do a zero point calibration using techstream https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...echstream.html

Last edited by l0l0pr; 04-12-20 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-17-20, 10:58 AM
dteskmo
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Lastly as the vehicle has electric steering, it's possible that if the steering hasn't been calibrated properly, that wandering may also occur at speed.
The calibration could have been undone by some type of steering related repair, or maybe an alignment was done and the steering not calibrated after.
A simple calibration performed using the Toyota/Lexus scan tool will address any calibration issues.
My car is AWD but not the F Sport model, which I believe means that it does not have VSC. Does that mean it does not have electric steering? My dealer says "A zero point calibration is not done as part of an alignment. Unless there are warning lights on that give trouble codes indicating that it is needed, it is not necessary. We can definitely confirm the zero point calibration for you. To hook up the techstream computer and do that is an additional $95.00."

I contacted the other dealer in town, and they said "A zero point calibration of the steering angle sensor is performed, however not the abs system."

I have no warning lights on, but the car does wander to the right. The last alignment check by my dealer showed -0.03 toe on both front wheels, which the dealer considers acceptable. I have Figs LCA bushings, and would like the toe to be set at either +0.02, or perhaps 0, but am not sure I trust my dealer to do alignments anymore. All other settings are at or near ideal, except the front right camber is slightly off (-0.9) and the rear right camber (-2.1).

Old 06-17-20, 11:34 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by dteskmo
My car is AWD but not the F Sport model, which I believe means that it does not have VSC. Does that mean it does not have electric steering? My dealer says "A zero point calibration is not done as part of an alignment. Unless there are warning lights on that give trouble codes indicating that it is needed, it is not necessary. We can definitely confirm the zero point calibration for you. To hook up the techstream computer and do that is an additional $95.00."

I contacted the other dealer in town, and they said "A zero point calibration of the steering angle sensor is performed, however not the abs system."

I have no warning lights on, but the car does wander to the right. The last alignment check by my dealer showed -0.03 toe on both front wheels, which the dealer considers acceptable. I have Figs LCA bushings, and would like the toe to be set at either +0.02, or perhaps 0, but am not sure I trust my dealer to do alignments anymore. All other settings are at or near ideal, except the front right camber is slightly off (-0.9) and the rear right camber (-2.1).
  1. My car is AWD but not the F Sport model, which I believe means that it does not have VSC.
    Since 2012 all Toyota/Lexus have VSC (Vehicle Stability Control)
  2. Does that mean it does not have electric steering?
    All 3IS have electric steering, and some models will also have VGRS (think of it like a piggyback system on top of the electric steering to further enhance it)
  3. My dealer says "A zero point calibration is not done as part of an alignment. Unless there are warning lights on that give trouble codes indicating that it is needed, it is not necessary. We can definitely confirm the zero point calibration for you. To hook up the techstream computer and do that is an additional $95.00."
    The calibration should be done as part of the alignment, IMO it should not be an extra charge since the repair manual states it needs to be done after an alignment is done...it's not optional.

Here is the proof from the repair manual that you can show them (2015 IS350 - this is from the front wheel alignment section):

ADJUSTMENT

CAUTION / NOTICE / HINT

NOTICE:

If a wheel alignment has been performed, or if suspension or underbody components have been removed/installed or replaced, be sure to perform the following initialization procedure in order for the system to function normally:
    Perform zero point calibration of the yaw rate and acceleration sensor.
  4. I contacted the other dealer in town, and they said "A zero point calibration of the steering angle sensor is performed, however not the abs system."
    Ok...didn't know you could calibrate the ABS system lol...sounds like a case of broken telephone between the tech and advisor. He gets points for being half right lol

It's likely better at this point to find a dedicated alignment shop...however they may not have a Techstream to do the calibrations, so you're back to the dealer again.
As for the Camber, without seeing what the left side looks like, it's hard to say if the right side if off much, at all, or a little. Usually since nothing is dead on the ideal spec., you are basically aiming for equality from side to side.
dteskmo (06-17-20)
Old 06-17-20, 11:56 AM
dteskmo
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you very much Sasnuke! I mistook VSC for VGRS lol. The front left camber is -0.5 and rear left camber is -1.7, so 0.4 difference between the front cambers, and also the rear cambers. Not sure if that is too much or not.
Old 06-17-20, 12:21 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by dteskmo
Thank you very much Sasnuke! I mistook VSC for VGRS lol. The front left camber is -0.5 and rear left camber is -1.7, so 0.4 difference between the front cambers, and also the rear cambers. Not sure if that is too much or not.
Ideally anything less than 0.5 difference is ok, but obviously the smaller the gap the better.
Since your IS is AWD, the front Camber is adjustable, so I see no reason why the -0.5 could not be brought to match the right side (-0.9)...or vice versa.

I had a feeling you meant VGRS, that's why I included.
dteskmo (06-17-20)

Quick Reply: Steering issue-wanders at high speeds