IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Buying an IS200t Out-Of-State (From Texas to California)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 05:25 PM
SantiP
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Olasek
It takes minutes.
Are you new in CA?
Na..But I'm buying a car for the first time. And that too out of state. So lots to learn and read up on!
Old 03-26-17, 11:35 AM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by Olasek
It takes minutes.
Are you new in CA?
Btw, do you know if I can legally drive the car until I get it registered?
Old 03-26-17, 11:48 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by SantiP
Btw, do you know if I can legally drive the car until I get it registered?
You get 15, 30 days with dealer tags right. I forget the length of time but yes, you can drive it.
Old 03-26-17, 11:51 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Did you get a temp registration sticker that goes on the windshield?

Those things are valid for 6 months.
Old 03-26-17, 12:14 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Na..But I'm buying a car for the first time.
So you must be a youngster!
Old 03-31-17, 10:29 AM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by EZZ
You get 15, 30 days with dealer tags right. I forget the length of time but yes, you can drive it.
What are dealer tags exactly? Something that go on the windshield?

I got something called a "Buyer's Receipt" from the dealer which is basically a page that says "Keep this in your car until its registered". It has the car information (VIN, color, etc) and the contact information for me and the dealership. I don't know if its the same thing as a dealer tag.

If I do get pulled up, will showing that receipt be enough?
Old 03-31-17, 10:30 AM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by nathantse
Did you get a temp registration sticker that goes on the windshield?

Those things are valid for 6 months.
I'll need to get that from the DMV in California, right? The dealership in Dallas won't be able to give that to me?

I figured if I can get my car registered properly within a week, why take the extra trip to the DMV?
Old 03-31-17, 11:29 AM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

What are dealer tags exactly? Something that go on the windshield?

I got something called a "Buyer's Receipt" from the dealer which is basically a page that says "Keep this in your car until its registered". It has the car information (VIN, color, etc) and the contact information for me and the dealership. I don't know if its the same thing as a dealer tag.

If I do get pulled up, will showing that receipt be enough?
dealer tag is a cardboard tag that go where where your regular rear plate goes. don't know if you'll get one in this case since you're taking it to cali.
Old 03-31-17, 11:33 AM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by gbgary
dealer tag is a cardboard tag that go where where your regular rear plate goes. don't know if you'll get one in this case since you're taking it to cali.
Now that I think about it, my car does have a cardboard tag which has some digits on it. I think that's what you're talking about. I don't think it has any sticker or anything else,though.

You think that should be good enough till I register it?
Old 03-31-17, 11:35 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by gbgary
you'll pay cal sales tax in tex and you'll have to get the car converted to cal emissions standards before/when you register it in cal.
would be better if you found one out there.
Originally Posted by 600rr
Why are you buying from out of State?
Cali has strict emission standards and a PITA to get a car in. Unless you're getting $5k+ off the car, it's not worth the hassle.
the smog thing is only at issue if it is not a 50 certified state vehicle. have the dealer send you a picture of the emissions sticker under the hood, it will tell you if it is 49 state (not CA) or 50 state certified.
Old 03-31-17, 11:38 AM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by mjeds
the smog thing is only at issue if it is not a 50 certified state vehicle. have the dealer send you a picture of the emissions sticker under the hood, it will tell you if it is 49 state (not CA) or 50 state certified.
Oh okay. I have already got the car shipped here. Will check the sticker tonight!
Thanks for the info!
Old 03-31-17, 11:42 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Oh okay. I have already got the car shipped here. Will check the sticker tonight!
Thanks for the info!
if it is a 50 state you shouldn't have any smog fees, you will have to get the "test only" smog done, which is just plugging into the ODBII an making sure there are no errors. if it is a 49 state you will need a full smog, which is a couple hundred bucks for the test and the DMV may access fees if it doesn't meet spec. .
Old 03-31-17, 11:46 AM
SantiP
Rookie

if it is a 50 state you shouldn't have any smog fees, you will have to get the "test only" smog done, which is just plugging into the ODBII an making sure there are no errors. if it is a 49 state you will need a full smog, which is a couple hundred bucks for the test and the DMV may access fees if it doesn't meet spec. .
I see. I was of the impression that if its a 50 state, then I don't even need to go to the smog place. Thanks for clearing that out.

So, I'm assuming they'll provide me with a certificate which I'll have to take to the DMV when I register it?
Old 03-31-17, 11:55 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

I see. I was of the impression that if its a 50 state, then I don't even need to go to the smog place. Thanks for clearing that out.

So, I'm assuming they'll provide me with a certificate which I'll have to take to the DMV when I register it?

out of state transfer of title or anytime in state a car is sold after the initial purchase requires a smog test, even if said car is under the 7 year mark and brand new, transfer of ownership requires a smog test, which test is determined by that nifty sticker.

they won't provide you with a certificate, everything is electronically transferred, the test results will be linked to your VIN and sent to the DMV, you can get smogged and go register within an hour. I just went through this with my niece, she was staying in Texas with her dance company and decided to buy a car out there, but her home is here in Socal, so she bought there, registered here, and drove home, her car was a 50 state, so we paid $70 for the test only and the taxes and registration at our AAA office (I hate the DMV).
Old 03-31-17, 12:00 PM
SantiP
Rookie

out of state transfer of title or anytime in state a car is sold after the initial purchase requires a smog test, even if said car is under the 7 year mark and brand new, transfer of ownership requires a smog test, which test is determined by that nifty sticker.

they won't provide you with a certificate, everything is electronically transferred, the test results will be linked to your VIN and sent to the DMV, you can get smogged and go register within an hour. I just went through this with my niece, she was staying in Texas with her dance company and decided to buy a car out there, but her home is here in Socal, so she bought there, registered here, and drove home, her car was a 50 state, so we paid $70 for the test only and the taxes and registration at our AAA office (I hate the DMV).
That's nice! So you can register your car at your insurance company office, too? Or is that only something AAA provides for members?

Quick Reply: Buying an IS200t Out-Of-State (From Texas to California)