IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dealer Recommendations After Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-17, 02:22 PM
kbarbaro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer Recommendations After Inspection

Hi everybody, I wanted to ask you guys a question regarding the urgency for my current situation. I brought my 250 to the dealer today for what I thought was an oil change but ended up only needing my 45k recommended inspection. The dealer discovered that 3 out of 4 of my tires have the steel cords showing on the inside edges, and the sidewall separating from the tread. Currently I am lowered of Swift springs, I did not get an alignment after installing these because I did read that it wasn't needed due to the springs only lowering the car a small amount, however I would assume what my dealer discovered is a result of reading things on the internet lol. How quickly should I move on getting new tires? I don't plan on going to long without getting new tires but is this something I should address like NOW? Looking at the report the tread on all tires are okay except for whats going on with them which I mentioned above. What tires should I look into for this bad boy? Don't need anything to crazy, i'm not a huge car guy so I don't really know how bad this situation really is.

Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails Dealer Recommendations After Inspection-img_20170228_172051.jpg  
Old 02-28-17, 02:26 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

U have 45k miles on stock tires?

seems like a tire change has been due.
Old 02-28-17, 02:27 PM
kbarbaro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nathantse
U have 45k miles on stock tires?

seems like a tire change has been due.
no no, I bought the car preowned Certified last July, I still have on those same tires. I installed the Springs I would say late summer early fall.
Old 02-28-17, 04:11 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by kbarbaro
no no, I bought the car preowned Certified last July, I still have on those same tires. I installed the Springs I would say late summer early fall.
How many miles have you driven with those tires since you bought the car? If its more than ~10k, I would get new tires.

A lot of pre-owned car will still have the same tires from the previous owner, if it had past inspection during the PDI process.
Old 02-28-17, 04:18 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,897 Likes on 1,969 Posts

The tread's already getting borederline low at 4/32", so I would go ahead and get some new tires.
Old 02-28-17, 04:26 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

If the belts are showing and the tread is separating, I definitely wouldn't be driving on the highway. Those tires are done...like well done. I would replace now. Next step is blowout and I don't think anyone wants to see that happen.
Old 02-28-17, 04:27 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

so you've never installed new tires, right? This would most likely mean it's still stock.
It's never a good thing when metal thread is showing on tires, get it changed immediately.
Old 02-28-17, 05:46 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

If you the tires are separating, I don't think it's even a question. I wouldn't drive it around the corner, let alone wait as long as you could.
Old 02-28-17, 07:05 PM
M1AH3A7
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say you can probably go another month or two. Wait till it blows out on you while driving on the highway and THEN replace the tire.................... and possibly the car.........

You dont need to be a car guy to know these things, unless this is your first ever car. I don't know how you get through life without knowing something as simple as this.
Old 02-28-17, 07:39 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

How quickly should I move on getting new tires? I don't plan on going to long without getting new tires but is this something I should address like NOW? What tires should I look into for this bad boy?
1. Now
2. Yes
3. IMO, Michelin or Continental
Old 02-28-17, 07:49 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 250 Posts

Get an alignment as well. I'm surprised nobody has suggested this.
even if lowered a tad only, you are throwing the geometry of the suspension arms out of wack and will slightly mess up the alignment. May not be much but will be enough to cause premature tire were a bit faster than normal.
Old 03-01-17, 01:35 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

you have to add air into the left front tire every two weeks, they tell you the steel is showing, and you're asking us...

as everyone else says, run, don't walk to the tire shop
Old 03-01-17, 05:18 PM
Jlin89
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by typocl
you have to add air into the left front tire every two weeks, they tell you the steel is showing, and you're asking us...

as everyone else says, run, don't walk to the tire shop
Correction: run, don't DRIVE to the tire shop, yea clap clap, I'll show myself out
Old 03-01-17, 05:48 PM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why wouldn't you do an alignment when you took the suspension out and reinstall it?
The alignment would be off once you take the shocks out.
Alignment can be off even if you hit a pothole hard enough let alone taking the suspension out.
You can thank the idiot who said installing lowering springs doesn't require an alignment for ruining your tires.
Those tires should be replace RIGHT NOW
You are taking a risk of still driving the car even around the corner.
Once your tread is separated from the side wall you can order a new rim along with your new tries
Old 03-02-17, 10:13 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
Get an alignment as well. I'm surprised nobody has suggested this.
even if lowered a tad only, you are throwing the geometry of the suspension arms out of wack and will slightly mess up the alignment. May not be much but will be enough to cause premature tire were a bit faster than normal.
Even if you didn't lower the car by any significant amounts, if you had your suspension components disassembled and reassembled, it's a good idea to get an alignment done or at least checked.

Quick Reply: Dealer Recommendations After Inspection