IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tires : perfect balance between noise, performance and treadwear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-17, 12:03 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Currently Costco has deal for under 800 installed. with $70 discount.

BTW PS4S supposed to replace PSS soon.

Last edited by jkonquer; 03-02-17 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-27-17, 12:20 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Michelin PSS for me as well.. very noisy initially, but gets better after 2-3 k mileage. Another i would recommend would be the Toyo Proxes 1, a well-balanced tire with deep grooves for wet weather driving when you need it.
Old 02-27-17, 01:59 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 826 Likes on 404 Posts

PSS are awesome, but they suck in cold weather unfortunately. I run 3 sets of tires because of this... Dedicated snows, dedicated summers and stock tires for spring/automn.
Old 02-27-17, 05:55 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonquer
Currently Costco has deal for under 800 installed. with $70 discount.

BTW PS4S suppose to replaced PSS soon.
For bay area, if you price it out online or in person, it is $858 otd with the $70 discount. You can price it out online. Ps4s won't be out until March and 255 and 225 sizes won't be available for 18" at time of launch, so if you can wait, I'd recommend it, it's supposed to be a lot better than pss. The down side is you'll be waiting indefinitely until they release tires for 18" wheels.
Old 02-27-17, 06:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I picked up a set of A/S 3+ before the winter. I don't have a set of winters, but if I did, I'd probably get a set of PSS for mid April to end of September.

I had PSS on another car RWD and loved them, but didn't feel 100% comfortable on them when it was single digit Celsius temperatures, especially when wet. I know the Quebec winter tire law runs from Dec 15th to March 15th. I think PSS would be safe for mid April to end of September, I can see why "Answer" has a three sets because he has a set of PSS (summer only). I had a set of A/S on my old civic, they were so awesome when the pavement was hot during the summer, I am REALLY looking forward to this summer in the IS.

You're probably best off getting something in the ultra high all season category IMO.

Last edited by 387; 02-27-17 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-27-17, 11:08 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the P Zero Neros with no complaints. I like it better than factory tires for sure especially in wear.
Old 02-28-17, 07:03 AM
tff
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I presently have Michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ on my IS350. Absolutely no complaints about ride, handling, wet weather, treadwear... However they seem to produce a fair amount or road noise at highway speeds... significantly more than I was used to in my prior car (Audi with Continental DWS's). < This surprised me in a Lexus.

I'd be real curious if someone has had experience with both the Michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ and Continental DWS's on their IS... as to which is quieter. In my case, I'm not sure if it's the tires, the car or both.
Old 02-28-17, 01:04 PM
Monoshock
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tff
I presently have Michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ on my IS350. Absolutely no complaints about ride, handling, wet weather, treadwear... However they seem to produce a fair amount or road noise at highway speeds... significantly more than I was used to in my prior car (Audi with Continental DWS's). < This surprised me in a Lexus.

I'd be real curious if someone has had experience with both the Michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ and Continental DWS's on their IS... as to which is quieter. In my case, I'm not sure if it's the tires, the car or both.
Not on same car, but I did experience more noise with the Conti's on my Acura TL, similar to what another poster reported, sounded like wheel bearings going bad for the last 10k.

As for the Lexus, I would attribute some noise to the lower profiles (18") of the 350.

I like the Michelin's but if someone has a better idea that doesn't involve multiple annual tire swaps or burning through cash I'm all ears.
Old 02-28-17, 01:39 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tff

I have experience with both Conti DWS (19's) and was gonna run those all year long on the IS. It didn't take long for me to dislike them. Mine were loud and never rode well. I tried different tire pressures to no avail. I replaced them a year later with Michelin Pilot SS for summer tires and run the A/S 3+ on my stock rims as my winter tire (I don't drive in snow and only need them for cold temps) and without question prefer them over the Conti's.

Granted the comparison is with different size rims, but I'll not be purchasing a set of Conti's if Michelin is an option, based on my experience.
Old 02-28-17, 02:10 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark9t316
Ps4s won't be out until March and 255 and 225 sizes won't be available for 18" at time of launch, so if you can wait, I'd recommend it, it's supposed to be a lot better than pss. The down side is you'll be waiting indefinitely until they release tires for 18" wheels.
I spoke with a Michelin rep and was informed that the PS4S won't be available for 18" wheels until March of 2018.
Old 02-28-17, 08:22 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to all those who posted. I took off the P Zero's because I didn't notice they were summer tires. I also won't consider the PSS for the same reason.
The Bridgestone doesn't look that popular in all my research.

That leaves 2 options :

Continental extremecontact DWS06 or Michelin A/S 3+
Old 03-01-17, 03:58 AM
Crew
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2015 350 F-Sport AWD: Due to poor snow performance, I replaced the OEM tires at 8k miles with Cont Ext Contacts...... Now, 15k miles later, the Conti's howl like hell---mainly due to cupping on the inside edge of the rears. Will be gett'n the alignment checked before changing to the Michelin's A/S 3's ASAP.
Old 03-01-17, 06:10 PM
BlueIS05
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the Michelin A/S 3s on my RWD IS350 and have about 15k miles on them so far. Great performance and have nothing but positives to say about them.
Old 03-02-17, 02:22 PM
Napalvr
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Another vote for the Continental DWS's
Old 03-11-17, 05:47 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Michelins currently sale at Costco, instant $70 off and free installation ($58 value) comes out to be $800 otd for a set of PSS.

Quick Reply: Tires : perfect balance between noise, performance and treadwear?