Thinking about buying an IS 300 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-17, 06:07 PM
hddawd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying an IS 300 AWD

Hi Everyone,
I have never had a Lexus. I test drove the IS 300 F Sport 2.
My concerns were the blindspot created by the seatbelt panel on the driver's side. I felt the inside design was dated looking and that it almost felt cramped.
I have been reading a bunch of the threads - but it would be helpful to hear what people like and dislike about the car.
​​​​​​​Thanks!
Old 02-25-17, 06:11 PM
gianttama
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Set your mirror correctly and you won't have blind spot. Don't have any problem with mine. The blind spot monitor helps too.
​​​​​​yes the interior is smaller than competition IMO.
Old 02-25-17, 06:31 PM
h2ouup2
Driver School Candidate

Most people don't know how to adjust their mirrors properly. Where I worked we had a mirror station. When you would set your mirrors on what you thought was correct, then they would place items and you couldn't see them. Then when you set them using the mirror station you had no blind spots. Now this was with a two mirror system, which would look ugly on an IS, but even being properly adjusted removes a lot more blind spot.
Old 02-25-17, 06:46 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

I think OP is talking about where you actually pull the seat belt from, not the mirror angle

That if turning your neck, it's in the way
The following users liked this post:
hddawd (02-25-17)
Old 02-25-17, 06:50 PM
h2ouup2
Driver School Candidate

I think they were too. - Oh well...Thanks.
Old 02-25-17, 07:02 PM
hddawd
Driver School Candidate

Thank you - yes, I was referring specifically to the panel where the seat belt comes from and not the mirror.

Any thoughts as to likes or dislikes of the is 300 add?
Old 02-25-17, 07:08 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by hddawd
Hi Everyone,
I have never had a Lexus. I test drove the IS 300 F Sport 2.
My concerns were the blindspot created by the seatbelt panel on the driver's side. I felt the inside design was dated looking and that it almost felt cramped.
I have been reading a bunch of the threads - but it would be helpful to hear what people like and dislike about the car.
Thanks!
Set up your mirrors properly and you shouldnt have an issue.

​​​​​​​
Viktimize (02-27-17)
Old 02-25-17, 07:12 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Funny thing is once I'm in my car I'm in I like that I can stretch my left leg all the way out I don't even have that much room in my 15 explorer I'm 6'3 if that helps
Old 02-25-17, 07:24 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

I owned a '17 A4 and it was roomier with better visibility. If this is a priority as well as excellent fuel economy, A4 is a better fit.

However, if you want a sportier driving position, interior, and drive with V6 power and sound, the IS is the better fit. It's what got me back into an IS after just 6 weeks of A4 ownership.
ttsport15 (02-25-17)
Old 02-26-17, 05:06 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Originally Posted by hddawd
Thank you - yes, I was referring specifically to the panel where the seat belt comes from and not the mirror.

Any thoughts as to likes or dislikes of the is 300 add?
I have an IS 300 F Sport that I got back in October. I've put about 4400 miles on it since then. With that in mind, here are my thoughts.

First, things I like about the car. The steering wheel is is phenomenal. It feels good in my hands, has a small diameter, is leather-wrapped, and is a perfect match to the way this car steers. I think even compared to the C-class and 328i M Sport I prefer this steering wheel. In addition, I like the subtle luxury details, like the headliner and the soft-closing windows. The windows in particular impressed a couple of my friends. Finally, I think the car is a lot of fun to drive in every day situations as well as when you are joy riding.The naturally aspirated engine is pretty responsive, and the steering always feels confident.

A fun bonus - this car's trunk is nicely-sized, too. I was shocked when I saw how big it was in person. Not huge, but big for a car IS's size.

Dislikes: I would have to say the disconnected nature of the navigation system is confusing. You've got standard nav, which has to work with eDestinations (which you set on your Lexus Drivers account) AND Destination Search (which operates through your phone) to give you any real chance of finding something on the fly. The standard nav searching is horrible. Another thing to worry about with the infotainment is just the way you interact with it - the Remote Touch Controller. Over time I have adjusted to it, but I sometimes miss having a touch screen. Your passengers will also fall into one of two categories: A) they like playing with the controller or B) they have no idea how to use it and don't want to. Speaking of passengers, ingress and egress are going to be something you have to warn passengers about. My passenger door panel has gotten the crap kicked out of it from people falling into the seat or kicking the door on their way out. Luckily, nothing un-fixable has happened yet. This isn't a terribly low car, but sitting in it might be surprising the first time. Lastly, I noticed a rattle above the driver's seat, perhaps in the headliner, that comes and goes. For a car this new, I find that troubling.

Overall, I love this car so much. It's a lot of fun to drive hard, cruise around in, and just look at, too. I can forgive the minor shortcomings all day as soon as I fire up the heated steering wheel on a cold day, accelerate on a ramp, or go into a corner maybe a little quicker than most people would. I guess all in all it depends on your priorities as to whether it would work for you.
Old 02-26-17, 05:41 PM
sirwawa
Rookie

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I owned a '17 A4 and it was roomier with better visibility. If this is a priority as well as excellent fuel economy, A4 is a better fit.

However, if you want a sportier driving position, interior, and drive with V6 power and sound, the IS is the better fit. It's what got me back into an IS after just 6 weeks of A4 ownership.
oh, so your back to an IS?!
what did you get this time?
Old 02-27-17, 07:07 AM
Viktimize
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The supposed blind spot you're talking about is a B-pillar. Every sedan will have one. So not sure what you mean about it being a blindpsot? It's less intrusive than most other cars.

Complaints. Yeah the car is cramped. The cupholders are absolutely abysmal. I would expect a fully loaded luxury sedan nowadays to have heated rear seats, but not a big deal. Other than that I love it.
Old 02-27-17, 11:14 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,798 Posts

I could see that panel being a blind-spot for one of two reasons:
  • Your mirror isn't set up right.
  • Your driver's seat is sitting really far back in the tracks.
Old 02-27-17, 11:20 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

That's what the blind spot monitors are for
ttsport15 (02-28-17)