IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS300 Piano Black Window Trim install

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-17, 11:09 AM
thehank
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS300 Piano Black Window Trim install

I always appreciated the piano black trim on BMWs and wanted to black out the chrome trim. I don't dislike the chrome, but piano black looks nice when done right. Picked up a huge roll of 3M 1080 Black Gloss vinyl and got to work. First window took about 3 tries to get right. (This was my first vinyl anything.) It saves time to apply the trim to all windows all at once, and then do your cutting and heat gun all in one stroke. Instead of applying film, perfecting, recutting the vinyl,... you get the idea. I have one of those
ABN Felt Edge Decal Squeegee 4 Inch ABN Felt Edge Decal Squeegee 4 Inch
from Amazon and after tucking in the sides firmly, it began to cut on it's own. Assuming from the tight spaces I guess.

The tops of all the windows are ten times easier than the lower portions. And if you align the tops just right to the edge, you don't have to cut the topside. Also, on the upper parts, I ended up doing the chrome trim AND the plastic trim underneath. As there is hardly any room to get any cut in there or the plastic piece. Plus a gloss piece right next to a matt finish wouldn't look the best.

CONS: I notice imperfections up close near the car. Heat gun didn't do any wonders except corners, but you have to mold while still warm. When sitting inside the car, I notice ripples or areas where the vinyl didn't adhere, but not sure how else to do it as I tried to fix already. There are about 3 panels that I will be re-installing on to lessen the defects. From the photos, far away, or to the average joe, it looks good. But it's ten times better than any plasti-dip I've seen.

If anyone knows how to remove the window trim, I'll buy you a beer, as this would make the install so much "simpler" and give a cleaner appearance.
Attached Thumbnails IS300 Piano Black Window Trim install-2017-02-25_10-56-58_550.jpeg   IS300 Piano Black Window Trim install-2017-02-25_10-56-14_629.jpeg   IS300 Piano Black Window Trim install-2017-02-25_10-55-43_042.jpeg   IS300 Piano Black Window Trim install-2017-02-25_10-56-08_993.jpeg   IS300 Piano Black Window Trim install-lexuswinder.jpeg  

IS300 Piano Black Window Trim install-lexuswinder2.jpeg  
Old 02-25-17, 11:21 AM
NFSIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great. I picked up my 2016 is 350 f sport last week with red interior. I have been toying with the idea of blacking out all the chrome with either plastidip or vinyl. Was it difficult to install? How long did it take?
Old 02-25-17, 03:32 PM
SilvrBulet
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer the regular chrome on my IS but great job man. It looks very OEM.
The following users liked this post:
thehank (02-25-17)
Old 02-25-17, 05:19 PM
thehank
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NFSIS350
Looks great. I picked up my 2016 is 350 f sport last week with red interior. I have been toying with the idea of blacking out all the chrome with either plastidip or vinyl. Was it difficult to install? How long did it take?
The first panel I did, took 30 mins and I ended up ripping it up and starting over. I honestly don't know, but took 10 times longer than expected. Clear a Saturday to do it. Simple concept but feels like doing surgery. The tops of the windows are easy. The bottoms, near where the window has rubber trim, well there are two portions of rubber, and I ended up cutting some of them and a few sections where the rubber is folded down, and vinyl not sitting flush. I did the rear corners, as one piece and matched my seams to where the stock chrome has seams.

When I was cutting the vinyl, I'd cut pieces too wide in which makes it harder to move around and to see behind. Make sure to plan out where you want to cut - as in the "groove" you want to cut between. Come to think of it, I don't think my vinyl is resting flat due to it being stuck to rubber so I may redo that area. I recommend starting with one of the rear windows, at the top, to get the hang of it. I rarely used the heat gun except for around corners like the side mirror molding. You can get the vinyl near perfectly flat with just your hands.

Let me know if you need more tips or have any tips for me ha.
Old 02-25-17, 07:33 PM
whiteis33
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The bottom trim along the window comes off pretty easy. Just have to pop it up. The rest of the trim is a bit tricky to remove.
Old 02-25-17, 07:35 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Good tips and nice work. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-26-17, 05:46 PM
sirwawa
Rookie

the front definitely looks better
Old 02-26-17, 06:41 PM
JayC708
Driver School Candidate

looks good, i was going to wrap the window trim once the weather got nicer as well. Tints would complete the look
Old 02-26-17, 07:10 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I've been wanting to do this to my car. How difficult was the front grill?
Old 02-27-17, 09:53 AM
awynters6
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

is there a diy on how to remove the trim? im sure removing it will make wrapping it a million times easier.
Old 03-04-17, 09:53 AM
NFSIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thehank
The first panel I did, took 30 mins and I ended up ripping it up and starting over. I honestly don't know, but took 10 times longer than expected. Clear a Saturday to do it. Simple concept but feels like doing surgery. The tops of the windows are easy. The bottoms, near where the window has rubber trim, well there are two portions of rubber, and I ended up cutting some of them and a few sections where the rubber is folded down, and vinyl not sitting flush. I did the rear corners, as one piece and matched my seams to where the stock chrome has seams.

When I was cutting the vinyl, I'd cut pieces too wide in which makes it harder to move around and to see behind. Make sure to plan out where you want to cut - as in the "groove" you want to cut between. Come to think of it, I don't think my vinyl is resting flat due to it being stuck to rubber so I may redo that area. I recommend starting with one of the rear windows, at the top, to get the hang of it. I rarely used the heat gun except for around corners like the side mirror molding. You can get the vinyl near perfectly flat with just your hands.

Let me know if you need more tips or have any tips for me ha.

Have you ran your car through a car wash since applying the vinyl trim. Just curious as it is recommended that you don't, but winters in Ontario can be cold to be washing the car by hand
Old 03-04-17, 06:25 PM
thehank
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gregerst
Thanks for sharing. I've been wanting to do this to my car. How difficult was the front grill?
Front seemed the easiest, but maybe because I did it sitting down and had the process down pretty good.
Old 03-04-17, 06:26 PM
thehank
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NFSIS350
Have you ran your car through a car wash since applying the vinyl trim. Just curious as it is recommended that you don't, but winters in Ontario can be cold to be washing the car by hand
Not yet, but that vinyl isn't going anywhere. I have it wrapped maybe half an inch around the edges so I don't think there's anything for it to pull up on or snag on. Just make sure you don't have any loose ends and you should be okay.
Old 03-04-17, 06:28 PM
thehank
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by awynters6
is there a diy on how to remove the trim? im sure removing it will make wrapping it a million times easier.
I looked but didn't find anything great. The uppers are so simple, if you wrap the entire chrome with the little plastic lip. The bottoms would be the only ones I'd remove. If you do find any good DIY let me know
Old 03-26-17, 08:40 AM
NFSIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thehank
I always appreciated the piano black trim on BMWs and wanted to black out the chrome trim. I don't dislike the chrome, but piano black looks nice when done right. Picked up a huge roll of 3M 1080 Black Gloss vinyl and got to work. First window took about 3 tries to get right. (This was my first vinyl anything.) It saves time to apply the trim to all windows all at once, and then do your cutting and heat gun all in one stroke. Instead of applying film, perfecting, recutting the vinyl,... you get the idea. I have one of those ABN Felt Edge Decal Squeegee 4 Inch from Amazon and after tucking in the sides firmly, it began to cut on it's own. Assuming from the tight spaces I guess.

The tops of all the windows are ten times easier than the lower portions. And if you align the tops just right to the edge, you don't have to cut the topside. Also, on the upper parts, I ended up doing the chrome trim AND the plastic trim underneath. As there is hardly any room to get any cut in there or the plastic piece. Plus a gloss piece right next to a matt finish wouldn't look the best.

CONS: I notice imperfections up close near the car. Heat gun didn't do any wonders except corners, but you have to mold while still warm. When sitting inside the car, I notice ripples or areas where the vinyl didn't adhere, but not sure how else to do it as I tried to fix already. There are about 3 panels that I will be re-installing on to lessen the defects. From the photos, far away, or to the average joe, it looks good. But it's ten times better than any plasti-dip I've seen.

If anyone knows how to remove the window trim, I'll buy you a beer, as this would make the install so much "simpler" and give a cleaner appearance.
When you vinyl wrapped your window trim, did you just wrap the chrome or did you also cover the black area below the trim and above the window?
The following users liked this post:
E46CT (03-27-17)

Quick Reply: IS300 Piano Black Window Trim install