IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Weird click/popping sound from speakers

Old 02-24-17, 02:06 PM
AntoineDR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird click/popping sound from speakers

I have a 2016 Lexus IS F Sport 300. I bought it back in October. I noticed that when I listen to music (anything with an 808 or sub bass) at around 30-40 in volume, the speakers start popping and clicking randomly. Is this something that typically occurs, a preset that's active, or something wrong? Should I contact my dealer? I don't have the Mark Levinson pkg... I am puzzled on this one. Any help?!
Old 02-24-17, 08:31 PM
ARM350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard weird sounds from mine but it has Mark Levenson. My GS never made any weird noises though.
Old 02-24-17, 11:54 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I think I know what you're referring to.. Occasionally, when I'm driving I will hear cracks (kinda like the sound of rocks hitting a window).

This is what I had thought:

A rock hitting the windshield. <-- This made most sense because I travel HWY alot, but I could never see or find the spot a rock would had made...
Something shuffling around in the car. <-- My car is very clean, almost nothing inside. Soo...

I do have ML system, maybe IT IS THE STEREO?
Old 02-26-17, 03:44 PM
goldengame
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nathantse
I think I know what you're referring to.. Occasionally, when I'm driving I will hear cracks (kinda like the sound of rocks hitting a window).

This is what I had thought:

A rock hitting the windshield. <-- This made most sense because I travel HWY alot, but I could never see or find the spot a rock would had made...
Something shuffling around in the car. <-- My car is very clean, almost nothing inside. Soo...

I do have ML system, maybe IT IS THE STEREO?
Hmmm I've had the exact same thing. I always assumed it was stones from the highway or maybe some interior trim piece, but it could be from the stereo. I have ML too.
Old 02-27-17, 01:59 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

How loud do you guys have the volume on when these noises are present? 30-40 is pretty loud.
The noises can be caused by a factor of things, but given these systems are factory, I suspect it may be the stereo driver.
If you have the filters turned up high (treble, bass) and in addition to high volume, then you may hear some clipping at certain frequencies.
Overtime, the popping creates abrupt distortions in your speakers and may damage them.
Try turning down the bass and treble and volume. Drive for a week and see if the noise is still present.
The following users liked this post:
AntoineDR (03-02-17)
Old 02-28-17, 10:46 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 600rr
How loud do you guys have the volume on when these noises are present? 30-40 is pretty loud.
The noises can be caused by a factor of things, but given these systems are factory, I suspect it may be the stereo driver.
If you have the filters turned up high (treble, bass) and in addition to high volume, then you may hear some clipping at certain frequencies.
Overtime, the popping creates abrupt distortions in your speakers and may damage them.
Try turning down the bass and treble and volume. Drive for a week and see if the noise is still present.
I set my mid, treb, and bass +3 from default. And my vol is usually around 20-21, but I mostly listen to BTA or Pandora, so I max out the vol on my phone to get best quality.

For me, the cracks or pops (that sounds like rocks hitting the windshield) is rare. I maybe catch it or hear it once or twice a week, and I daily drive this baby.

*Maybe it is rocks hitting the windshield? Cuz my windshield is pitted with chips!
Old 03-02-17, 07:04 PM
AntoineDR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 600rr

I'll give this a shot. I do have the bass pretty high. I can't lie, I love my bass. With that said, I don't want to damage the speakers. I'll take this advice and see what happens!

Thanks!
Old 03-02-17, 10:05 PM
ARM350F
Pole Position

I have actually found that it's from the songs I listen too, because I took my car to the dealer for this issue and they had me listen to the same song in another is350 with ML stereo and it made the same squeaks as mine. So it might be the song.
Old 03-03-17, 11:28 AM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ARM350F
I have actually found that it's from the songs I listen too, because I took my car to the dealer for this issue and they had me listen to the same song in another is350 with ML stereo and it made the same squeaks as mine. So it might be the song.
Correct. The music you listen to plays a big role in the clipping. You will not hear much distortion if you listen to Beethoven, but it is a different story if you're a heavy metal guy.
Turning up the bass means the filter catches the low frequencies and amplifies them. Same for high frequencies with the treble.
If your songs contains a lot bass, and you like to turn it up, you will encounter the clipping frequently.