IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Hello, noob here with 2015 Lexus IS 250. Mods? Sound? Paint care?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-17, 12:12 PM
jbraua
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, noob here with 2015 Lexus IS 250. Mods? Sound? Paint care?

Just got my first Lexus and love it. It's Obsidian, with black interior.

I purchased it because of the deal offered. Ideally, I would love a 350 or F-sport, but 250 is what I have.

Few questions for the forum:

Would any mods make any recognizable difference/improvement to an IS 250? Most mods forums I have found discuss only IS 250 F-sport. Intake? Exhaust? Header? worth it? Or should I just put that money towards upgrading to a better model one of these days.

Also, any speaker upgrade advice? Recommendations would be appreciated.

Last, paint care. I have noticed swirls and scratches after only a few washes. Have already read on here that Obsidian is known for that. What products would you recommend for caring for the paint.

Like I said, I'm new to this. Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Old 02-17-17, 03:48 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jbraua
Just got my first Lexus and love it. It's Obsidian, with black interior.

I purchased it because of the deal offered. Ideally, I would love a 350 or F-sport, but 250 is what I have.

Few questions for the forum:

Would any mods make any recognizable difference/improvement to an IS 250? Most mods forums I have found discuss only IS 250 F-sport. Intake? Exhaust? Header? worth it? Or should I just put that money towards upgrading to a better model one of these days.

Also, any speaker upgrade advice? Recommendations would be appreciated.

Last, paint care. I have noticed swirls and scratches after only a few washes. Have already read on here that Obsidian is known for that. What products would you recommend for caring for the paint.

Like I said, I'm new to this. Thanks for any advice you can offer!
I have a 2014 IS350 F sport, but ill give you my thoughts on what i would personally do if i had the base model.

nothing performance related, its almost a lost cause.
Rims, Tints, Lowering springs/ coilovers.

Audio system wise, I believe there's a thread somewhere that a user replaced everything so that's a good place to look.

as for paint care, look up proper washing techniques (two bucket method, proper cleaning tools etc.). Get the paint polished/ paint corrected or learn how to do it yourself (dual action polishing and such). When that's done seal it with some sort of ceramic quartz coating to help protect the paint, or get clear shield applied to the car.
Old 02-17-17, 06:13 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by ClubLUser
I have a 2014 IS350 F sport, but ill give you my thoughts on what i would personally do if i had the base model.

nothing performance related, its almost a lost cause.
Rims, Tints, Lowering springs/ coilovers.

Audio system wise, I believe there's a thread somewhere that a user replaced everything so that's a good place to look.

as for paint care, look up proper washing techniques (two bucket method, proper cleaning tools etc.). Get the paint polished/ paint corrected or learn how to do it yourself (dual action polishing and such). When that's done seal it with some sort of ceramic quartz coating to help protect the paint, or get clear shield applied to the car.
Agreed. Any performance mod will make the car from really slow to marginally less slow.

Save the money or take a performance driving class to make yourself faster
Old 02-17-17, 10:17 PM
3actual
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lexus paint is really soft. Even with the two bucket wash method I would still find new blemishes. I ended up getting a ceramic coating and it was the best money spent.