IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rattle/Vibration when reversing.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-17, 05:44 PM
robert2423
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Rattle/Vibration when reversing.

Hey guys,
So lately i have been having this weird rattle when i go out to my car in the mornings. i put it in reverse back out my driveway, in this process when i start going backwards if i lift off the throttle after applying gas i hear what sounds to be a rattle/loud vibration coming from underneath the car/hood. Any one have an idea what the problem could be? i took it to Lexus they are blaming my ARK exhaust for a leak, and saying the exhaust is rattling under the car. But this has never happen before so i dont think the exhaust leak is the issue? He also said it could be its cold out but havent had this problem through the worst winter months only now. Thanks for all your help, i might have the sound on go pro ill upload soon.
Old 02-11-17, 08:54 PM
robert2423
Intermediate

any ideas?
Old 02-12-17, 02:07 AM
Phamkq
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same issue when I am on reverse or sometimes during idle.
Old 02-12-17, 03:38 PM
robert2423
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Phamkq
I have the same issue when I am on reverse or sometimes during idle.
yeah dosent seem to be a common one... pretty annoying when the neighborhood hears my 50k car reversing and the brakes...
Old 02-12-17, 03:48 PM
Phamkq
Driver

Originally Posted by robert2423
yeah dosent seem to be a common one... pretty annoying when the neighborhood hears my 50k car reversing and the brakes...
Hmm mine is actually from a Lexus fsport performance exhaust that I had installed, four different muffler shops and none could figure it out
Old 02-12-17, 03:55 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by robert2423
Sound clips?

Hmm mine is actually from a Lexus fsport performance exhaust that I had installed, four different muffler shops and none could figure it out
I saw the quad tips, you put into the fsport exhaust. Looks nice

You have any sound clips of the rattle? I'm getting mine installed this week, gonna make sure they are aware of this "rattle".
Old 02-12-17, 04:00 PM
Phamkq
Driver

Originally Posted by nathantse
Sound clips?I saw the quad tips, you put into the fsport exhaust. Looks nice

You have any sound clips of the rattle? I'm getting mine installed this week, gonna make sure they are aware of this "rattle".
Not yet bro, soon! It's only on my right side. The rattle honestly can only be heard inside the cabin. Can't hear anything outside but it bugs the hell out of me. There's a wierd sound usually after I exit the freeway and begin street driving and then again at the stop light or reversing. The sound LITERALLY only comes on after I exit the freeway driving. Must be a loose heat shield somewhere that four different muffler shops couldn't diagnose.

My right exhaust pipes also does sit lower than my left one, it came like that apparently
Old 02-12-17, 04:08 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Not yet bro, soon! It's only on my right side. The rattle honestly can only be heard inside the cabin. Can't hear anything outside but it bugs the hell out of me. There's a wierd sound usually after I exit the freeway and begin street driving and then again at the stop light or reversing. The sound LITERALLY only comes on after I exit the freeway driving. Must be a loose heat shield somewhere that four different muffler shops couldn't diagnose.

My right exhaust pipes also does sit lower than my left one, it came like that apparently
Did this happen once you had modified the exhaust? Or was it always there ?

Have you taken this to the dealer? I'm getting mine installed by the Lexus Techs.
Old 02-12-17, 05:24 PM
robert2423
Intermediate

my issue isnt an exhaust rattle... ill upload sound clips later today, i have a ARK exhaust not Fsport
note: its also weird it only does this when i do my wheel swap for the summer.
Old 02-12-17, 05:55 PM
Phamkq
Driver

It happened after I installed the exhaust, my oem never had issue. Stealership wanted to charge me $350 just for diagnosing to find out the issue since they didn't install it.

I think we both may have to just get under a lift and start clamping everything with hose clamps
Old 02-12-17, 06:15 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

It happened after I installed the exhaust, my oem never had issue. Stealership wanted to charge me $350 just for diagnosing to find out the issue since they didn't install it.

I think we both may have to just get under a lift and start clamping everything with hose clamps
lol, yeah I seen ppl use hose clamps.

I'll def address the issue when I get my fsport exhaust installed. The stock one has no problems either.

Aside from that, I hear ppl saying some the exhaust tips are not leveled? One hangs lower than the other.

Last edited by nathantse; 02-12-17 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-13-17, 05:47 AM
robert2423
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nathantse
Sound clips?

I saw the quad tips, you put into the fsport exhaust. Looks nice

Hey guys,
So i was finally able to get a clip of the noise. I advise wearing headphones when watching this as it makes it easier to hear and single it out.
Let me know what you guys think to me this dosent sound like a exhaust leak/ rattle
Old 02-13-17, 05:45 PM
robert2423
Intermediate

Is this similar to what you are experiencing?