IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The Infortainment System Is Total Trash

Old 02-10-17, 11:33 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

^ USB ports are designed for file transfers. Music/JPEGS.
Old 02-11-17, 06:22 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
Yes normally Lexus would only expect people to do that. But they would have to include a USB driver as part of the operating system which would potentially allow an access point for attacks.

Anyway it it was worth a try.
Old 02-11-17, 09:13 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
i honestly know that.
We're talking about hacking/modifying the system
That's why I tried a mouse and keyboard
Old 02-11-17, 09:26 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like you should have just got another Volvo lol

I don't play around with things enough to care while I'm driving. My only annoyance is using the mouse for addresses. I have had a touch screen navigation before though and with the delay it wasn't that much better. Other than that it I am completely used to it and it is completely fine for what I need.
Old 02-11-17, 11:23 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I use voice command for most of the stuff I need - never use the joystick to enter an address.
Granted, I don't particularly love the joystick aspect, but, it's beats the hell out of touch screen for me.

And from an OCD standpoint, I don't miss the fingerprints at all. That always drove me crazy in my last car.
Old 02-11-17, 11:28 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by doodlebug
And from an OCD standpoint, I don't miss the fingerprints at all. That always drove me crazy in my last car.
OMG yes this x1000 lol
Old 02-11-17, 11:50 AM
alexkidd
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Olasek
Good for you, I personally don't think there is anything 'pretty' about the Volvo graphics, I consider Lexus' graphics far from 'ugly'. I would never purchase a car that was a 'total trash' in any department, so you must be spewing a hyperbole or you wouldn't purchase such car unless you purchase cars without giving them a hard look in which case it doesn't speak highly of your consumer skills.
Nice fanboyism. The Volvo system isn't even that good but it proves how terrible the Lexus is. They could do a design update and fix most of the issues but the mouse is not a good solution. Everything should be controlled from the steering wheel. And for christ sake make a back button!
Old 02-11-17, 11:55 AM
alexkidd
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zhifan1
Just curious, what made you ditch the S60 and bought the IS350?
Because it was complete trash. I bought it new and had nothing but issues. Every week something else broke. I had a Corolla before it that went 9 years without any major issues. I needed reliability, my Volvo warranty was almost up. Even tho the Volvo had issues it was better in some areas. Infotainment way better, way better in the snow, it was roomier, the seats were SOOOOO much better than the Lexus (why is the lumbar punching me in the ****ing back???), way more torque, and better on gas. But it rattled and creaked and squeaked so so so bad. It did not handle as well as the Lexus either. I am not rich so I need reliability.

Just for fun here is a small list of issues I had with the 2013 Volvo S60.

-Premature rotor wear (dealer replaced rotors and brakes)
-Hard down shifts in transmission (no fix) Hard shift from reverse to drive (no fix)
-Rubber squeaking above drivers side in roof (dealer fixed and said something came loose) (has returned after a year)
-Ticking back door handle (dealer fixed after 4 attempts by putting felt tape in handle)
-Creaking doors when braking, accelerating and driving over uneven road (flexing the car body) (dealer fix was to give me silicon spray to wipe on the door trim once a month which does not really help much) (dealer now replaced all 4 door panels)
-Creaking sunroof (fixed first time when car was first bought and then it came back and was refixed a couple months ago)
-Leaking sunroof (brand new issue, was fixed by dealer)
-Rattling sunroof controls/interior light area when music has bass (had to fix this myself by jamming a credit card inside the gap, still buzzes a bit)
-Squeaking holy **** handle drivers side (dealer replaced)
-Tire alignment issue wore front tires unevenly, no idea what caused it (i had to pay for an alignment and 2 new tires, this seems to be an issue with these types of cars)
-Cracking noises when AC is on in hot weather (no fix, the plastics expand at different rates causing excessive snapping and cracking)
-Creaking waterfall area (dealer lined it with felt to dampen noise, helped a bit, still cracks on acceleration, stopping, hard turns, when my knee touches it)
-Squeeky shifter in sport mode (dealer replaced shifter leather boot)
-Tweater Blis housing came loose (dealer fixed this)
-Burnt out Light in Sun Visor (dealer has part on order)
-Bubble Wrap popping from arm rest (replaced with a new arm rest that is harder now than the original. Must be a re design)
-Dirt getting into speedometer area (this really pisses me off! this just shows the quality control overall)
-Windshield fell out (fixed but they broke the auto wiper sensor in the process)
-Broken stereo computer, nothing works and speakers make repeated noise like a record player skipping
-My headlights are messed up now, right side looks like a chicken foot spot light. They can't figure whats wrong
-They broke my sirius radio somehow when trying to repair the auto wiper issue I have
-Battery was faulty that just had to be replaced
-Looks like AC Compressor is dying now.. (AC Compressor was replaced, would have been a $1500 bill if not under warranty)

Last edited by alexkidd; 02-11-17 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-11-17, 12:40 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I understand your gripe with the Lexus. Most of us here came from other brands it seems especially European's and mostly for reliability. I've been in the BMW community since 2003 and sold my bimmer last summer for a new IS. My decade old BMW did many things better than this new IS, but as you know, no car is perfect. Lexus dominates in reliability/ ownership cost and not much else.
Old 02-12-17, 04:33 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,485 Likes on 1,796 Posts

Note, you can use the up/down switch behind the remote touch controller to scroll through your track list rather than clicking on the up/down arrows on the screen. Much faster.

Side note: I keep trying to tell my girlfriend this, and she insists clicking on the arrows on-screen because "it feels better". All righty then.

To give my honest opinion on the infotainment system as a whole - it does what it's supposed to. I've used other systems from Chevy, Nissan, and Toyota. I find the others to be surprisingly easy to use, probably since they are all touch-screen-based. However, I like the clarity of the screen in the IS, the different sound profiles per audio source, and the customize-able home screen. The mouse controller is wonky at times but isn't terribly distracting. It also gives guests something to play with. All in all, it's not as easy to use as some others but I think this system suits the IS well.
Old 02-12-17, 06:14 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

i like my non-nav stock system better than the one in my wife's 5 series. lol
Old 02-16-17, 06:52 AM
mingkwong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus has developed the worst infotainment system in world, they should have outsourced the development if they couldn't do it right for so many years...They made the situation even worse as they refused to adopt Apple Car Play and Android Auto into their "windows 3.1" system.
Lexus management should hear to the customer and see what other competitors are offering in the market. They should feel embarrassed if they compare their with the BMW's and MB's