IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The Infortainment System Is Total Trash

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 02:46 PM
snabbledab
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second this expecially when you want to enter a long address into the navigation and it takes forever with the little remote touch
Old 02-09-17, 04:45 PM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Wish we could somehow add Android auto
Old 02-09-17, 06:53 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Olasek
Good for you, I personally don't think there is anything 'pretty' about the Volvo graphics, I consider Lexus' graphics far from 'ugly'. I would never purchase a car that was a 'total trash' in any department, so you must be spewing a hyperbole or you wouldn't purchase such car unless you purchase cars without giving them a hard look in which case it doesn't speak highly of your consumer skills.
Old 02-09-17, 06:59 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Volvo Systems..

Old 02-09-17, 08:59 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Olasek
Good for you, I personally don't think there is anything 'pretty' about the Volvo graphics, I consider Lexus' graphics far from 'ugly'. I would never purchase a car that was a 'total trash' in any department, so you must be spewing a hyperbole or you wouldn't purchase such car unless you purchase cars without giving them a hard look in which case it doesn't speak highly of your consumer skills.

Nah. I totally agree with the OP. the infotainment system is uncompetetive and is truly awful to use. Yes, I may be used to it now, but doesn't make it much better. if you can honestly say you dont want to punch something when you're trying to enter an addess into the nav you're lying to yourself lol, or dealing with the 1 second lag between clicks.

with that said, i purchased this car anyways because everything else about the vehicle is great.
Old 02-09-17, 09:04 PM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 600rr
I agree. The entire system is very outdated and the interface is crap.
The infotainment is the worse thing about this car, next to the cup holders..
I saw the same cup holders and joystick control on the new RX and decided I can't deal with another Lexus unless they abandon this trash. Even though it's snappier on the new RX. The jumping and snapping is still going to be a nightmare to navigate.
Old 02-09-17, 11:52 PM
MatrixPC
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Totally agree with the OP. Toyota/Lexus infotainment system is just JUNK.
Old 02-10-17, 04:51 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I barely use it to care. Don't have a problem when I do use it.

The voice recognition is junk though. Leaves me cussing it.
Old 02-10-17, 07:09 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Ciggy
Wish we could somehow add Android auto
The system is Linux based and open source, someone just has to spend the time on it.
Old 02-10-17, 08:41 AM
tlhicks
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gbgary
and the non flat-bottom steering wheel.

That's so funny because I cant get my hands comfortable because I cant hold the bottom of the steering wheel like i use to!
Old 02-10-17, 10:37 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanf
The system is Linux based and open source, someone just has to spend the time on it.
What Linux distro is our system using? I have some resources and some ability to see if we can make this happen. Would be gnarly to get Android Auto installed. The new 2017 audi system that has android auto doesn't fully integrate. So basically the app can't interface with the dash gauges but works nicely on the center screen. This would be more than sufficient in our cars.

Also does anyone know if there is a shell and it's enabled by default or know how to get it enabled?

Last edited by Ciggy; 02-10-17 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-10-17, 10:50 AM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by tlhicks
That's so funny because I cant get my hands comfortable because I cant hold the bottom of the steering wheel like i use to!
ha. i bang my legs on it getting out of the car. a flat bottom would give another inch of clearance and easier egress. plus flat bottom wheels are a thing now.
Old 02-10-17, 02:37 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Ciggy
What Linux distro is our system using? I have some resources and some ability to see if we can make this happen. Would be gnarly to get Android Auto installed. The new 2017 audi system that has android auto doesn't fully integrate. So basically the app can't interface with the dash gauges but works nicely on the center screen. This would be more than sufficient in our cars.

Also does anyone know if there is a shell and it's enabled by default or know how to get it enabled?

If you dig through the licensing info that is provided, there are several links in there. You can DL the software from Pioneer, but when I did for some reason it appeared a part of the file was missing so I couldn't re-assemble it.. I believe it is Automotive Grade Linux though.

I have wondered myself what would happen if I just plug a USB keyboard in and see if I can take control of the system I just have never bothered.

If you have any luck let me know.
Old 02-10-17, 03:42 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by alexkidd
I miss my Volvo's system. All the menus only go up and down and then there are sub folders. Everything is accessible from the dial and control panel on the steering wheel. It is super fast and easy to use. For anyone curious...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pxJXDQ5fdc

Just curious, what made you ditch the S60 and bought the IS350?
Old 02-10-17, 11:03 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanf

I have wondered myself what would happen if I just plug a USB keyboard in and see if I can take control of the system I just have never bothered.

If you have any luck let me know.
lol, I've tried a mouse and keyboard via USB ports in armrest. No luck with those

Quick Reply: The Infortainment System Is Total Trash