IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Obsidian with major scratches (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-17, 11:24 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by isosunrise
I know this sound stupid but what should I be telling the detailer to do? Never had this issue before and it's my first black car so when getting details in the past it's straight forward and I don't go in there looking for an end result other then just a really good clean and shine.

Most places I feel will just clay the car and do a quick buff all around.
Well, you don't want paint correction so there isn't much options out there to cover up the swirls. A good waxing is the best way, just tell the detailer you want to wax the car.

You also mention the paint looks dried and dull, you gotta clay and wax for that shine.
Old 02-05-17, 12:35 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

You identified the problem in your post. Cheap car wash.
Old 02-05-17, 01:12 AM
isosunrise
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evident
You identified the problem in your post. Cheap car wash.
Even prior to cheap car wash. I can recall taking delivery of the car and having some dust on it the next day. I dusted the trunk lid with a clean towel- full of scratches.
Old 02-05-17, 10:30 AM
DerekGordo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that looks so bad, I like to use Meguiars products. Take the afternoon to do a "2 Bucket wash", Clay Bar the car, Ultimate Compound, Polish, and Wax. Should fix most of that up.
Old 02-05-17, 10:47 AM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

take it to a pro or...

Old 02-05-17, 01:47 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Dang...I drove a black Honda Civic for 15 years and never did it look like that.
Granted it was always hand washed with a micro fiber towel. I stay away from car washes.
Old 02-05-17, 02:18 PM
metrik
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get it buffed out and waxed. Then hand wash yourself from now on
Old 02-06-17, 12:24 AM
blkisf7
Driver School Candidate

This look awful. I have a 2016 IS 350 F- Sport in Obsidian as well and yes the paint is incredibly soft but I only have slight swirls from the dealership. I use an MTM foam cannon and some Adam's Polishes car shampoo and some high quality wash pads to wash my car and haven't had any major issues. The definite culprit is going to those corner cheap handwashes that aren't professional detailers. Obsidian paint is incredibly delicate. I would suggest paint correction (it shouldn't cost thousands) and then maybe washing it yourself at a coin wash. Hope this helps
Old 02-06-17, 01:02 AM
blkisf7
Driver School Candidate

I have experience with the atomic silver color and found it does a good job of hiding swirls but hand washes by competent detailers have always proven best. Is the car wash you visited one of those drive through touchless ones? If so you should try to examine the car under scangrip lighting or other detailing tools to truly see the condition of the paint.
Old 02-06-17, 07:21 PM
isosunrise
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blkisf7
This look awful. I have a 2016 IS 350 F- Sport in Obsidian as well and yes the paint is incredibly soft but I only have slight swirls from the dealership. I use an MTM foam cannon and some Adam's Polishes car shampoo and some high quality wash pads to wash my car and haven't had any major issues. The definite culprit is going to those corner cheap handwashes that aren't professional detailers. Obsidian paint is incredibly delicate. I would suggest paint correction (it shouldn't cost thousands) and then maybe washing it yourself at a coin wash. Hope this helps
Problem is I live in an apartment building and car is garaged. I'm hoping to have the car done in the next few months when the weather breaks here in NJ.
Old 02-06-17, 10:15 PM
SilvrBulet
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You were able to get this car but you cheaped out on the car wash? I am in Toronto and I get my car wash at a touchless wash in the winters and I have no swirls. I also find it EXTREMELY hard to believe you swirled the paint just using a cloth to wipe dust off your new car when you first got it. Unless that cloth was extremely dirty and you were scrubbing it quite hard. The only real fix now is as others have said, paint correction and to maintain that you need to stop using cheap car washes.
Old 02-07-17, 03:48 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get some Optimum no rinse and wash and wax and some very nice towels for washing and towels for drying. The stuff is awesome and doesn't require rinse. That way, you can hand wash it nicely at an apartment. That's what I did. I now own a home, but still use this method.
Old 02-07-17, 07:13 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

You should see the paint on my black GS I just got, its really bad, like they went thru auto carwashes. Just ordered some new polish and plan on tackling it, will seal with Sonax after and wax.
Old 02-07-17, 07:15 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Go to a high end detailer and pay the $500-1000 for paint correction + ceramic / opti coat. I put opti gloss coat a year ago and my car is super shiny everyday. It's worth it.
Old 02-07-17, 07:46 AM
isosunrise
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EZZ
Go to a high end detailer and pay the $500-1000 for paint correction + ceramic / opti coat. I put opti gloss coat a year ago and my car is super shiny everyday. It's worth it.
I'm looking into opti coat. You in the tri state area? Need a good recommended place.

Quick Reply: Obsidian with major scratches (pics)