IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Sport Mode: Whining Noise Normal?

Old 02-01-17, 05:56 PM
Donnie808
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Mode: Whining Noise Normal?

I test drove a Lexus Certified 2014 IS 350 base model today and noticed that the engine makes a whiney and rather alarming spinning type noise (for lack of a better description) upon accelerating in Sport mode. Is this normal?? It goes away when I put it back in "Normal" mode.
Old 02-01-17, 06:01 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Probably just the air filter, believe it or not.
Old 02-01-17, 06:06 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Donnie808
I test drove a Lexus Certified 2014 IS 350 base model today and noticed that the engine makes a whiney and rather alarming spinning type noise (for lack of a better description) upon accelerating in Sport mode. Is this normal?? It goes away when I put it back in "Normal" mode.
Car is reving at a higher rpm in sport mode. The sound coming from the air filter sounds about right ^

Correct us if we wrong.
The following users liked this post:
Break2 (02-01-17)
Old 02-01-17, 06:14 PM
Donnie808
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nathantse
Car is reving at a higher rpm in sport mode. The sound coming from the air filter sounds about right ^

Correct us if we wrong.
Thank you both for the feedback. I didn't lift the hood to tell where exactly it was coming from as I'm far knowing anything about engines. Are you guys suggesting the air filter is in need of replacement or are you just saying the higher RPM in sport mode is, by its very nature, going to cause more sound from the air filter and that it's nothing to worry about?

Thanks again... hope to buy it this week if all goes well!
Old 02-01-17, 06:15 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank you both for the feedback. I didn't lift the hood to tell where exactly it was coming from as I'm far knowing anything about engines. Are you guys suggesting the air filter is in need of replacement or are you just saying the higher RPM in sport mode is, by its very nature, going to cause more sound from the air filter and that it's nothing to worry about?

It seems to be the norm with these cars. I changed my stock filter for an F-Sport one and the whiny noise is more noticeable.
Old 02-01-17, 06:37 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Its just by nature of how the car is built. Nothing is wrong. But, since your buying a CPO I would change the air filter just cause. Unless the dealer, did it for ya already.

Also the IS350 has a sound generator that amplifies and pumps engine noise into the cabin. So you are more prone to notice this.
The following users liked this post:
Donnie808 (02-01-17)
Old 02-01-17, 06:49 PM
Donnie808
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
See this post to hear if this is similar to what you are hearing.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post9687331
Yep, pretty sure that's exactly what I'm hearing. It's actually the noise of the engine "spinning down" after I let off the accelerator the same way it happens in this video. I'm not a car guy but I don't think I've heard that in a car before...just something unique to this engine type, perhaps. I'm coming from an Acura TL where there is no noise upon letting up on the accelerator.
Old 02-01-17, 06:52 PM
Donnie808
Driver School Candidate

Its just by nature of how the car is built. Nothing is wrong. But, since your buying a CPO I would change the air filter just cause. Unless the dealer, did it for ya already.

Also the IS350 has a sound generator that amplifies and pumps engine noise into the cabin. So you are more prone to notice this.
I never understood why car manufacturers deliberately pump fake engine noise into the cabin. I'd rather the cabin be as utterly quiet as humanly possible. Is there any way the artificial noise can be disabled? I honestly expected the Lexus to be quieter in the cabin...even in Normal mode.
Old 02-01-17, 07:12 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

I never understood why car manufacturers deliberately pump fake engine noise into the cabin. I'd rather the cabin be as utterly quiet as humanly possible. Is there any way the artificial noise can be disabled? I honestly expected the Lexus to be quieter in the cabin...even in Normal mode.
The engine noise your're hearing is not fake. Best bet is to get an aftermarket air intake. The sound generator is connected to the stock intake. Other than that, the IS is a "performance sedan", if quite ride is what you're looking for the IS may not be the car. Try the ES, they should be much quieter imo.

For the newer IS, 2017+ there is actually a scroll kn0b inside the cabin in which you can control how much noise gets pumped into the cabin. ASC - Active Sound Control. <-- this is fake noise imo
Old 02-01-17, 07:53 PM
Donnie808
Driver School Candidate

The engine noise your're hearing is not fake. Best bet is to get an aftermarket air intake. The sound generator is connected to the stock intake. Other than that, the IS is a "performance sedan", if quite ride is what you're looking for the IS may not be the car. Try the ES, they should be much quieter imo.
True about the ES but I much prefer the sporty appearance and more compact size of the IS model. I'll probably learn to tune out the noise the more I drive it...
Old 02-01-17, 08:23 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

True about the ES but I much prefer the sporty appearance and more compact size of the IS model. I'll probably learn to tune out the noise the more I drive it...
I mostly drive in ECO mode, and I rarely notice the engine noise unless I floor it. Cruising under 2000 RPM is decently quite.

However, there is road noise in these cars. Note, I have a is350 fsport it has a slightly stiffer suspension vs the non f sport.
Old 02-02-17, 01:40 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is transmission noise, which is normal for many cars especially sport cars.
Old 02-02-17, 08:29 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,485 Likes on 1,796 Posts

I heard it had something to do with the fuel pump, also heard it's the transmission... kinda hard to definitively say what it is, but more people agree it's the transmission.
The weird thing is, if it's the transmission, how come the sound still occurs in neutral?

Either way, as others have said, the car's not broken. One thing I have heard is that with an aftermarket air intake, you'll remove the sound generator, which may reduce noise into the cabin (though outside, it'll be the same).

Edit: Found an old thread about the 2IS, which seems to be discussing the same issue. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...just-cold.html
More evidence this is common, if not normal

Last edited by arentz07; 02-02-17 at 08:39 AM. Reason: adding other thread for reference
Old 02-10-17, 06:52 PM
snabbledab
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i heard its the fuel pump or the transmission but it is normal so dont worry about it
Old 02-11-17, 07:39 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

gen2 gen3 IS got the same noise lol , this is Lexus Performance ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sport Mode: Whining Noise Normal?