IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2015 is250 power terrible, thinking of adding a turbo ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-17, 07:45 PM
newToIs250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 is250 power terrible, thinking of adding a turbo ??

hello again people

the 2015 is250 sucks in terms of power

i have a 2016 Ford Edge sport which produces 350 pounds of torque and 315 hp. Twin turbo 2.7 6cyl This is a beast !!!

im thinking of exchanging my is250 2015 for a Ford Fusion sport which produces 380 pounds of torque 325 hp awd

but I am wondering if I can add a turbo to the is250 2015 awd? Is it possible and how much $$$ if anyone can share if they added a turbo and how much torque and hp increase ?? Brand name of the turbo please?

thank a bunch in advance
Old 01-29-17, 07:48 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

After going FI and supporting mod with install, you will be better off trading up to IS350 and cheaper
Old 01-29-17, 07:57 PM
newToIs250
Driver

Originally Posted by ssmoked
After going FI and supporting mod with install, you will be better off trading up to IS350 and cheaper
I figured it would be expensive in the 5000$ range or so for adding a turbo???

what does "FI and supporting mod with install" mean?

i think the Ford Fusion sport 2.7 6cyl twin turbo 325hp 380 pounds torque would be cheaper than an is350 by far even cheaper than a loaded is250

Anyways. Was wonder cause I just got this a year and a half ago and this really is terrible in terms of power. Though it is one of the nicest looking car out there.
Old 01-30-17, 12:14 AM
sandiegoer
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think rr-racing soon to release a supercharger kit along with their released tune for our 3is. i would say it gonna add quite alot of hp for is250. but if you really look into power/performance then get the F series IS, RC, or GS. i dont really think 350 that much faster than 250 tbh. they meant for daily commute not race car plus u cant do much on the NA engine anyway.
Old 01-30-17, 04:14 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by newToIs250
"FI and supporting mod with install" mean?
FI = Fuel Injection, when adding forced induction you have to also account for adding more fuel to keep the air fuel ratio in the safe zone. That is what he meant.

As for lack of power, you've had the car this long and your just figuring this out now?

My advice go buy the biggest baddest HP car you can afford, although I doubt you'll be satisfied for long.
Old 01-30-17, 06:31 AM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

buy a new car.
Old 01-30-17, 06:57 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

There is a ginormous difference between the IS250 and 350. A full 2 seconds to 60 is many many bus lengths. The best upgrade for the money is to trade it in for a 350. I bet it comes out cheaper than a turbo too
Old 01-30-17, 07:35 AM
newToIs250
Driver

Originally Posted by brendanf
FI = Fuel Injection, when adding forced induction you have to also account for adding more fuel to keep the air fuel ratio in the safe zone. That is what he meant.

As for lack of power, you've had the car this long and your just figuring this out now?

My advice go buy the biggest baddest HP car you can afford, although I doubt you'll be satisfied for long.
Turbo add will be a waste of my money.
im looking at the Ford Fusion sport as it is cheaper than the is350. This is the only car that is reasonably priced with awd and over 326/380 ho/torque

I figured this out last summer that's when I bought my Ford Edge sport. What a difference in torque

but I still think the is250/is350 is one of the nicest looking cars out there
Old 01-30-17, 08:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The Fusion Sport is an interesting offering by Ford, no doubt.

If pure power is what you're after, then yes, it'll beat the IS, including the 350. But the Fusion is still a FWD based, front heavy car that cannot match the handling of an IS. Just decide what you want the most.
Ford’s commitment here goes only so far, as evidenced by the absence of RS or ST badging; Ford Performance’s handling experts didn’t have their way with the car. Steering feel is lackluster, and the brake pedal has a long travel and little feedback. And the car feels every bit as heavy as the 4128 pounds measured on our scales. Ford needs to make haste with its lightweighting research, a field where General Motors is doing much better. All that mass leaves an overall impression that the Fusion Sport amounts to a smaller version of the Taurus SHO, a car whose days are numbered, and even the performance figures are similar.

When driven aggressively, there are hints of torque steer before the AWD system activates and moments of hesitation where you can feel the car sorting out, just for a moment, which gear to choose and how much steering effort should adjust to conditions. All this keeps it from being a sharp-edged driver’s car, although, on paper, it’s a budget Audi S4. To deliver on that promise, besides putting the car on a diet, would require a less fuel-economy-minded all-wheel-drive system with more rearward bias of torque distribution and a lot more attention to the niceties of control feel and precision.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...n-sport-review

Note that in the above referenced C&D article, they tested the Fusion at 5.1 seconds, which is no doubt quick, but Motor Trend tested the IS350 AWD at 5.3 seconds, so it isn't a huge straight line improvement with the Fusion Sport, but a great loss in handling. Here is what Motor Trend says after reviewing the IS250 and then an IS350 AWD:
As you may recall, this long-term test is different. Wanting to see us cover almost the entire IS model line rather than just one car, Lexus sent us an IS 250 rear-wheel drive model to start and has now swapped it out for an IS 350 all-weather drive (in Lexus speak) model. This one will swap out for a rear-wheel drive IS 350 F Sport in a few months.

In the meantime, let’s talk about the new ride. In addition to a long list of options not spec’d on the 250, the 350 AWD packs a bigger engine and all-wheel drive. 102 extra horsepower courtesy of an extra liter of displacement makes for a substantial difference in performance, as does AWD traction. The result: 5.3 seconds to 60 mph, nearly two seconds quicker than the 250’s 7.2-second sprint.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus...-awd-update-3/

And more from Car and Driver on the IS350:

We didn’t see it coming because, on any other type of road, the IS clearly exhibits Lexus’s traditional top priority: serenity. On typical highway surfaces, minute twitches in the steering wheel and nearly imperceptible shifts of the body offer only the slightest hint of what lurks within. But charge into a series of quick bends and the IS completely changes its character. Turn-in is crisper in the Lexus than in either the BMW or the Cadillac, a fact borne out by its first-place slalom finish in spite of a mediocre skidpad performance. More important, the Lexus is utterly imperturbable. Bumps that send other cars skittering off-line or scrambling to maintain their course are absorbed and dispatched, but not kept completely hidden from the driver.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...f-sport-page-4
Old 01-30-17, 08:22 AM
Viktimize
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sandiegoer
i think rr-racing soon to release a supercharger kit along with their released tune for our 3is. i would say it gonna add quite alot of hp for is250. but if you really look into power/performance then get the F series IS, RC, or GS. i dont really think 350 that much faster than 250 tbh. they meant for daily commute not race car plus u cant do much on the NA engine anyway.

You basically have 50% more power in a 350. And you have a hell of a lot more torque. The torque is the beauty, it's night and day between the 2 cars, I know because I have both. The 350 can just roll on the throttle and nicely accelerate, whereas the 250 constantly has to do aggressive downshifts to get moving.

If OP wants to trade to a Ford because of the power on paper, you will be sorely disappointed. Every Ford drives like a horrid pile of junk. If all you care about is passing power, then go for it. But every time you turn that steering wheel and feel the abysmal handling that is a commonality of every Ford non performance product, you will hate your life.

As for adding turbo to an IS250. I'd be WAY more inclined to just sell the thing and use that 10,000$ you were going to spend on a turbo to upgrade to a 350.
Old 01-30-17, 08:34 AM
Viktimize
Driver

Originally Posted by brendanf

FI = Forced Induction. Not fuel injection. And the only supporting mod fuel wise that any bolt on FI kit will require is a boost a pump, or upgraded fuel pump all together. Which would come with the kit anyway. Supporting mods could be considered; intake, exhaust, tune. But none of those things would be required if you're buying a quality kit and not piecing something together to fabricate your own set up.
Old 01-30-17, 08:56 AM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

If you really want to save money. Get the 300 and buy the RR ECU tune.
Old 01-30-17, 09:06 AM
newToIs250
Driver

Originally Posted by Viktimize
FI = Forced Induction. Not fuel injection. And the only supporting mod fuel wise that any bolt on FI kit will require is a boost a pump, or upgraded fuel pump all together. Which would come with the kit anyway. Supporting mods could be considered; intake, exhaust, tune. But none of those things would be required if you're buying a quality kit and not piecing something together to fabricate your own set up.

hi hi can you give me a link to this please?
i have no idea what this is all about or the price or increase in hp

thanks
Old 01-30-17, 09:09 AM
newToIs250
Driver

Originally Posted by Viktimize
You basically have 50% more power in a 350. And you have a hell of a lot more torque. The torque is the beauty, it's night and day between the 2 cars, I know because I have both. The 350 can just roll on the throttle and nicely accelerate, whereas the 250 constantly has to do aggressive downshifts to get moving.

If OP wants to trade to a Ford because of the power on paper, you will be sorely disappointed. Every Ford drives like a horrid pile of junk. If all you care about is passing power, then go for it. But every time you turn that steering wheel and feel the abysmal handling that is a commonality of every Ford non performance product, you will hate your life.

As for adding turbo to an IS250. I'd be WAY more inclined to just sell the thing and use that 10,000$ you were going to spend on a turbo to upgrade to a 350.

10000$ 😩 ??!!!

Im repouring my 2 car garage cement for 7300$ plus tax. Yikes

you are being a little harsh on ford.

The ford sport edge 2.7 twin turbo I have drives nice

the power is fantastic

Last edited by newToIs250; 01-30-17 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-30-17, 09:22 AM
Viktimize
Driver

hi hi can you give me a link to this please?
i have no idea what this is all about or the price or increase in hp

thanks
What are you looking for a link to? I don't know of any kits available yet. I hear RR is making one, just have to wait and see what they come out with.

I still feel the upgrade to 350 would be money better spent. Plus if you ever sell you'll get way better resale from a stock 350 than a modded 250.

10000$ 😩 ??!!!

Im repouring my 2 car garage cement for 7300$ plus tax. Yikes
Hooray for Canadian butt rape tax!!

A kit might be cheaper, but by the time you factor installation, new plugs, coolant, engine oil, etc, etc. You're pushing around the 10k$ mark for most quality Supercharger kits.

Last edited by Viktimize; 01-30-17 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply: 2015 is250 power terrible, thinking of adding a turbo ??