IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Help...Torn/sheared off hose cover. ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-17, 06:37 PM
bulletpruf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...Torn/sheared off hose cover. ABS?

There are hose covers on the driver and passenger rear of the car that are torn/sheared off exposing a hose that runs into the back of the rear hubs. The passenger side rear was hanging on by a small portion of the cover that remained.
Name:  IMG_8593_zpshiwvmmv7.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  246.5 KB
You can see the hose inside that was protected by the cover which is dangling. This is the rear passenger side.
Name:  FullSizeRender-4_zpskjzzgjiq.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  219.6 KB
Here is a closer look. The hose runs into the backside of the hub. Anyone know what the purpose of this hose is? ABS related?
Name:  FullSizeRender-2_zps4xix1rmx.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  187.0 KB
The rear driver side has the same issue. The protective cover is completely torn off.
Name:  FullSizeRender-3_zpst4r4ihhv.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  219.3 KB
Name:  FullSizeRender_zpscbkozxae.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  230.7 KB
Here is the remaining cover from the driver side. I just cut it off since I did not want it hanging there.
Name:  IMG_8598_zpswlzpeo78.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  104.3 KB
The odd thing is I just happened to catch this by chance. I pulled the car out of the garage to sweep and I saw two piles of torn up rubber underneath my car right where the hoses are located. On both the driver and passenger sides. Here is what was on the garage floor.
Name:  IMG_8599_zpsfn6nxwp4.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  143.0 KB
The car drives fine, nothing out of the ordinary and my brakes work fine. My main concern is how much will the hoses be affected by not having the covers to protect them? Also, what may have caused this? Did something like a rat chew up these hoses? I am thinking that is unlikely since the exact same hose covers on both sides are torn off.

Anyone have any ideas? I want to know why before I take it to the dealership. Car is a 2016 IS200t with RSR Down springs and 20mm spacers in the rear. Sorry for the long post and any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by bulletpruf; 01-30-17 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-29-17, 07:23 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

yup...mouse.
Old 01-29-17, 07:27 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Sure looks like some mounse or squirrel is attacking the hose sleeves. If garage parked probably mouse who likes peanut butter or cheese....Mouse don't like peppermint smell.
Old 01-29-17, 08:12 PM
bulletpruf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
That sucks. Does look like a possible rodent problem. I agree with your assessment, the damage looks like something chewing on the rubber, possibly a rat, mouse or other type of pest. Place traps in your garage and see if you catch anything. Does seem odd that both sides of the same hose are damaged. Maybe that rubber is especially tasty?

Also, it also looks like the dust on the suspension part below those hoses has been disturbed, indicating something may have been on that part to get to the hose. Bring in the forensic team... :-) Good luck.
I am really hoping it's not a rodent problem. If it is, who knows what else it could chew up. My garage is pretty clean. There isn't any clutter or trash and I didn't see any turds when I swept. It's just really weird that it's the same hose on both sides.

Either way does anyone know what that hose/line does?
Old 01-30-17, 04:21 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Parking brake cables from what I can tell.

If the rubber bits were on the floor then you have a rodent problem.
The following users liked this post:
bulletpruf (01-30-17)
Old 01-30-17, 06:02 AM
Matroushi
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanf
Parking brake cables from what I can tell.
I believe those are parking brake cables too.
bulletpruf (01-30-17)
Old 01-30-17, 09:32 AM
bulletpruf
Driver School Candidate

Might be able to tell from the diagrams on a parts site. Check the brake components and suspension components diagrams on this page for a start:
http://parts.iralexusofmanchester.co...uspension.html

Confirm with dealer as needed.
Thanks for the link. I am thinking it is the parking brake cable assembly as brendanf and Matroushi mentioned. I'm just glad it wasn't the ABS wire harness. The diagram helped but it doesn't show the part for the parking brake cable assembly. I searched on google and was able to find this,
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...430-53020.html

Since the damaged part seems to be a cover/sleeve for the actual cable itself, do you guys think the functionality of the parking brake will be affected in the short term? I almost never use the parking brake anyway.

I'll be able to bring it to the dealership this weekend, at the earliest. At that point will this even be covered by warranty or will they try to blame it on my RSR springs and/or spacers?

Also, if they determine it was damaged by a rodent, will this be an insurance or warranty issue? Thanks again for all the help everyone.
Old 01-30-17, 01:39 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

should not affect functionality at all. the parking brake cable still isn't even exposed (it's still inside the other protective hosing). If you're worried, just but some rubber hosing with a split down the middle and cover it back up or use some corrugated plastic protective hosing and cover it back up, sealing it with some zip ties.
bulletpruf (01-30-17)
Old 01-30-17, 02:53 PM
bulletpruf
Driver School Candidate

No worries on the link.

I'd agree, looks like the parking brake cable. As for moving forward, I'd respectfully ask the dealer for their assessment and see what they come back with. You never know. I'd say play dumb but you're really not, as you don't know for sure what caused the damage. I'd leave the part about finding the bits on your garage floor out and just say you saw where this cover was damaged and wish for them to look at, assess and give you their recommendation. Some dealers are very accommodating and some aren't so much. Worth a shot to see if they will take care of IMO. Worse case, at least you have a quote for how much it will cost to replace that sleeve, then you can better decide if it's worth it to replace or repair.
I had the same mindset as you when I called the dealership this morning. Told them I had a parking brake issue and wanted to get it checked out. The service rep said it would be a flat fee of $145 to get it looked at and if they deem it to be not covered by warranty, the fee would go toward the repair/replacement. Not very pleased with the $145 fee. I called South Bay Lexus since I am in Torrance and about 5 mins away. At this point its not worth it to me. Do most dealerships charge a similar flat fee?

Originally Posted by CLUM
should not affect functionality at all. the parking brake cable still isn't even exposed (it's still inside the other protective hosing). If you're worried, just but some rubber hosing with a split down the middle and cover it back up or use some corrugated plastic protective hosing and cover it back up, sealing it with some zip ties.
This is what I was thinking of doing. Will probably pick up some rubber hosing to wrap around the exposed area to regain a little of the protection it originally had. Might make it a project to replace the whole cable assembly some time down the line. Found the part online for $62 per side.
Old 02-01-17, 01:38 PM
bulletpruf
Driver School Candidate

This is a 2015? And they want $145 to look at it!!?? And this is the dealer you bought the car from? That's insane and somewhat _hitty IMO. Goes to show how much service depends on the dealer. Newport Lexus is happy to assess issues I've asked them to assess, with no charge. If this is where you bought the car from I'd raise this to the service manager and plainly state that if they want your service business they need to be more accommodating in assessing your concerns on your new car. With that said, I've sure some dealers have a different mind-set and could care less if they earn your service business. Good luck.
It's a 2016. Not the dealer I purchased from. I got the car from Lexus of Glendale in January 2016. I do think the $145 is pretty ****ty. When you went to Newport Lexus to assess your issues, did you call to schedule an appointment or did you just drive up? I will probably contact a few other dealerships to see what they say, but in the mean time, I think the car will be fine.
Old 02-01-17, 01:47 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Agree with the rodent consensus. I've had this issue in my garage.

Check under the hood. I had a pest who loved my Highlander. I wouldn't find any droppings on the floor, but would find them on the engine cover under the hood. They like the warm cars and they like any rubber they can chew on and carry back to their nests.

Took me a long time to find out how he was getting in there. I was able to close the hole and catch him in a trap.
Old 02-01-17, 02:07 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

One of these with a little peanut butter will take care of the sucker. Humanely of course. And cleanup is a breeze lol.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Victor-Elec...M240/100400789
Old 02-01-17, 02:17 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
One of these with a little peanut butter will take care of the sucker. Humanely of course. And cleanup is a breeze lol.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Victor-Elec...M240/100400789
I had 17 traps of various kinds set up in my garage and the trap you posted was the one that finally worked.

I started with "humane" traps then escalated from there when none of them worked. I got so desperate that I started using the sticky traps, which are the most inhumane. Every night before bed, I put them all over the Highlander, but the rat would still just scurry around them, crapping all over the place.

Old 02-02-17, 05:27 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I had 17 traps of various kinds set up in my garage and the trap you posted was the one that finally worked.

I started with "humane" traps then escalated from there when none of them worked. I got so desperate that I started using the sticky traps, which are the most inhumane. Every night before bed, I put them all over the Highlander, but the rat would still just scurry around them, crapping all over the place.

I had a family of 5 mice move into my garage through a port hole they gnawed the mesh off of. It took a week to get them, but I did. They never had a chance to get to the car luckily. I won't lie, they were so tiny and cute. I would have felt better with myself if it was rats lol.

Quick Reply: Help...Torn/sheared off hose cover. ABS?