IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Audio system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-17, 04:11 PM
jmoses77
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Audio system?

Before people jump down my throat, I have used the "search" feature and haven't had a ton of luck. I have owned my '14 is350 F sport for a little over a week. I am severely disappointed with the oem audio system. I am coming from a mercedes c300 with a HK system. I do not have the ML system in my current car. I am looking to upgrade in order to get a fuller sound. I went to a custom stereo installer and was quoted about $3000 to replace the complete system. That is more than I am looking to spend at one time. My question is a matter of opinion, I know, but here it goes. If I were to install a mono amp and "tight" sub would that improve the system, or should I look into first replacing the speakers and work my way up to a new amp and sub. The speakers I was looking at are the Audison Prima line and would do either a JL or Alpine 10" subwoofer and mono amp. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 01-21-17, 04:04 PM
mkhan54
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been doing some research as well, trying to get a little more punch out of the system. I agree, OEM speakers suck, My brother has Harmon Kardon in his M3, and my sister in law has Mark Levinson in her Rx350 -- both sound amazing. At first, i was just going to replace some of the front speakers, starting with 2 in front door. Then thought about replacing factory sub with a 8" free-air Kicker sub. Also thought about installing a 'under the seat sub' but dont wanna bother with the wiring. I found out, replacing the stock sub requires me to take the rear seat out which im not comfortable doing. I wish there was a way to simply remove the rear deck grille without taking out the seats.

Any recommendations on what i should do? I dont wanna spend much money on installation because the car is a lease.