IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Navigation Issue 2017s

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-17, 08:40 PM
TinoPing
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Navigation Issue 2017s

This might be a repeat problem of '14-'16 navigation, but if any of you guys can pls chime in. I recently bought a '17 IS 350F and navigation isn't working most of the time. It appears to go offline frequently and is only online for short bursts. Under destination search, the 'name' button often fades away and can't be selected. The few moments its selectable and online, as soon as you start spelling out your destination letter by letter, it goes offline again. Quite frustrating and wondering if this is a common IS or Lexus issue, or specific problem of mine. I tried to reset by pressing and holding the stereo on/off button, but doesn't help that much. Also problem seems to be in mornings, on start up. Thx.
Old 01-13-17, 10:32 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

If you were driving at the time. Buttons grey out if the car is moving. It's an unfortunate safety feature.

Or are you parked at the time when things go unselectable?
The following users liked this post:
TinoPing (01-14-17)
Old 01-13-17, 11:53 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

If your're traveling 10MPH or higher, alot of the Nav selections are blacked out. Mostly because of safety like SpecONE had said.

**Also applies to some step-up selections**

If you are stationed and the nav acts this way? Bring to dealer asap, might be something wrong with the Nav SD card.
The following users liked this post:
TinoPing (01-14-17)
Old 01-14-17, 12:05 AM
TinoPing
Driver

Originally Posted by specONE
If you were driving at the time. Buttons grey out if the car is moving. It's an unfortunate safety feature.

Or are you parked at the time when things go unselectable?
Thanks specONE. That makes perfect sense, the button grey out happens when the car is moving. I never tried it while stationary, but will test it tomorrow. I got used to German nav's which worked unrestricted while driving. I noticed the IS nav has other options disabled while moving, as a safety measure, which fits in with what you said, such as search for nearby restaurants, it'll only allow you two list scrolls, then says can only view more while stationary. The IS nav is obviously inferior to the Germans, but has its own advantages, such way easier highway lane selection (not sure if this was there in the smaller pre-2017 screens) not to mention the cuter voice! The German nav always sounded like harsh and angry voices with a grudge to settle.
Old 01-14-17, 02:01 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

You can purchase and install a Nav bypass from Beat-Sonic, which tricks the car in thinking you're stationary and allows you to perform locked functions while moving.
Old 01-14-17, 08:32 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
You can purchase and install a Nav bypass from Beat-Sonic, which tricks the car in thinking you're stationary and allows you to perform locked functions while moving.
Not sure those boxes are compatible with '17 MY.
Old 01-14-17, 08:36 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Download and Sign In to Lexus App Suite. It is free forever except for minor data minutes.
First time you touch Apps on the screen it will begin a download/update procedure just once,
Now when driving you merely press the talk/speech button and say "launch destination search".
When you see the screen set up and a rotating symbol is on you merely speak and ask for
any point of interest and a town and state name. Your phone does the heavy lifting and it
drops into the Lexus Nav Screen, no typing needed.
Side benefit of the Lexus App Suite is the integration of Pandora/Slacker/iHeartRadio controls
on the screen. Your phone is still doing the work, Data Plan is required but it is legal hands
free operation. Bonus, you get to create Pandora stations with driving themes separate from
the workout or bedside stations you have already used.
The following 2 users liked this post by mcomer:
arentz07 (01-17-17), TinoPing (01-14-17)
Old 01-14-17, 03:06 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve never understood the logic of bypassing a safety feature.
Old 01-14-17, 05:28 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Magellan
I’ve never understood the logic of bypassing a safety feature.
I think its a terrible "safety feature." I want to use the features on the car when I want to use them. All the other luxury carmakers don't lock your features out while in motion.
Old 01-14-17, 06:02 PM
specONE
Racer

I think its a terrible "safety feature." I want to use the features on the car when I want to use them. All the other luxury carmakers don't lock your features out while in motion.
its a Toyota mentality, Lexus's parent company.
Old 01-14-17, 09:02 PM
TinoPing
Driver

You guys are awesome thanks! I tried it in park a couple of times and was always online and none of the buttons grayed out. I recall now, only time it came back on intermittently was on traffic lights when I'd try to use the search. I'll go for the Lexus App Suite, wasn't aware. I already have other three apps on my phone: Lexus Enform, Lexus Drivers, and Lexus Roadside.
Old 01-15-17, 12:23 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That’s not true. My previous car was an Infiniti and it has the same feature.

Yes, it can be annoying, but the way I look at it Toyota has the feature for legal purposes, to keep possible law suits from accidents caused by this feature at a minimum. That, in turn, may affect the price of my next Lexus.
Old 01-15-17, 02:09 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Magellan
That’s not true. My previous car was an Infiniti and it has the same feature.

Yes, it can be annoying, but the way I look at it Toyota has the feature for legal purposes, to keep possible law suits from accidents caused by this feature at a minimum. That, in turn, may affect the price of my next Lexus.
I guess I should've said German competitors. They get around the legal issues by making you accept a disclaimer. Lexus could easily do this and protect themselves from lawsuits, while making their customers happy.
Old 01-15-17, 03:59 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I guess I should've said German competitors. They get around the legal issues by making you accept a disclaimer. Lexus could easily do this and protect themselves from lawsuits, while making their customers happy.
There's actually a disclaimer that shows up everytime you start you car.
Old 01-15-17, 07:23 PM
specONE
Racer

For those complaining, just get a aftermarket bypass module and call it a day. Done