IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Horrible noises from brakes. Video

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-17, 12:04 PM
Vivid101
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Horrible noises from brakes. Video

Anyone experience this? Started at 4k miles and still doing it at 7k miles. Lexus has opened up a case on the issue. It makes the same pitch noise at slow speeds as it does high speeds. It is now doing this every time I touch the brakes. Half effort only. Full braking it does not make the noise.

The dealer has greased up everything, brake cleaner and what not. They said there is no TSB so they cant do anything. That is why I opened up a case with Lexus USA.

Video: 3GtGSugMHkE

Last edited by Vivid101; 01-12-17 at 12:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CriMe (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 12:40 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

i'll ask the obvious question. did you bed-in the brakes? my vette did this until i did the bed-in procedure and that fixed it. got to heat them up. here are a couple of links...

http://brakeperformance.com/bedding-in-rotors.php

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=85

Last edited by gbgary; 01-12-17 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-12-17, 01:18 PM
Vivid101
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gbgary
i'll ask the obvious question. did you bed-in the brakes? my vette did this until i did the bed-in procedure and that fixed it. got to heat them up. here are a couple of links...

Yep. did this.
Old 01-12-17, 01:24 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vivid101
Yep. did this.
sorry...had to ask. good luck with a solution.
Vivid101 (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 02:36 PM
CriMe
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Please keep us posted on what actions they end up taking. Same issue on my '16 F-sport. Lexus told me my brake pads are fine and that the noise was normal, which made me laugh because I didn't have this issue last winter. Unfortunately, they told many other people that as well. One member managed to have them resurface the rotors and sand the pads under warranty, which fixed the issue. I opted to buy new rotors and pads and plan to put them on myself when it warms up a bit. The thread where the member got the problem solved is below

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ears-loud.html
Old 01-12-17, 04:07 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Meh it happens on my 16 F Sport from time to time. I don't care. Brake hard, power wash it, it'll go away. It's a performance car with performance brakes. it'll happen due to the size of the pad and the nature of the friction compound in the pads. The sounds you hear are essentially high frequency vibrations thats exacerbated when the brake dust builds up in certain spots. particularly the pad carrier brackets.

Racing cars that use racing pads make these same sounds 24/7 and nobody thinks twice. Now granted we don't drive racing cars and should expect some level of civility and luxury on a street car but you did buy a car that caters to a certain market that is generally sport oriented.

TL; dr, it is normal to an extent on these cars using THESE stock pads, don't worry about it. Having your dealer replace your existing stuff with the same stuff and the sound will just come back. If it bugs you that much, try aftermarket pads that have a less aggressive friction compound.
Old 01-12-17, 04:14 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Originally Posted by gbgary

The brakes will naturally be bedded in by the test driver at the manufacturer or by normal use. I've always driven brand new cars off the lot and I've never once "bedded" in my brakes. Now if I installed performance pads, and the pad manufacturer called for a bedding procedure, i'd do it only cause I'm a car nerd and there's fun in it. But really driving normally usually does a fine job. What you DON'T want to do is do any panic ABS stops when the pads are NEW. Unless the pads are new and FIRST bedded in. This is why owners manual say no hard stops until 500 miles because generally, the manufacturer ASSUMES that the average driver has bedded in their pads... by driving.

Anyway the bedding in of the F sport pads have nothing to do with the noise. It's just a good idea to make sure pads are used reasonably for a few hundred miles (or "bedded in" if you wish) before driving HARD.

In short, it has nothing to do with this.
Old 01-12-17, 05:07 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Originally Posted by E46CT
The brakes will naturally be bedded in by the test driver at the manufacturer or by normal use. I've always driven brand new cars off the lot and I've never once "bedded" in my brakes. Now if I installed performance pads, and the pad manufacturer called for a bedding procedure, i'd do it only cause I'm a car nerd and there's fun in it. But really driving normally usually does a fine job. What you DON'T want to do is do any panic ABS stops when the pads are NEW. Unless the pads are new and FIRST bedded in. This is why owners manual say no hard stops until 500 miles because generally, the manufacturer ASSUMES that the average driver has bedded in their pads... by driving.

Anyway the bedding in of the F sport pads have nothing to do with the noise. It's just a good idea to make sure pads are used reasonably for a few hundred miles (or "bedded in" if you wish) before driving HARD.

In short, it has nothing to do with this.
only random cars coming off the line are ever test driven. the vast majority are stacked in lots for shipment. thus the less than one mile on the odometer on delivery. i've had many new cars in my life too and never did a bed-in but on my vette i had to do it and it worked.
Old 01-12-17, 05:37 PM
Vivid101
Pole Position

Mine does it in warm or cold temps. It really is annoying having this thing sound like that when I pull up some place with people everywhere. So loud. Lexus USA is calling me back tomorrow.
Old 01-13-17, 09:05 AM
Diesel26
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that's a common problem with semi metallic pads.

I replaced my stock pads with Akebono full ceramic pads. No more noise and no more break dust!
Old 01-13-17, 10:24 AM
Chrispies
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my 2016 with the original Fsport brake pads for 14k miles, and I have never heard that sound before when braking. I can't agree that this is normal, even for performance brakes. Especially from a Lexus.
CriMe (01-13-17)
Old 01-13-17, 11:53 AM
darkarmy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2016 350 fsport, same problem, went to the dealer 3 times and each time they've said the break pads are normal and the sounds is normal. It goes away after a few break applications.
Old 01-13-17, 12:11 PM
CriMe
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If the brakes were just slightly squeaky, I would totally get the whole "it's normal" response from the dealerships. But this noise that many of us have is a shrill, ear piercing howl. It sounds worse than a city bus. . Unfortunately, ditching the pads seems to be the solution. The Akebono ceramic pads are rated quite highly. Once I put mine on, I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 01-13-17, 04:44 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

wow that noise.... and I thought my squeaks were bad
Sorry that you have to go through this on every stop.
Keep us updated on this one! Hopefully you can resolve it soon.
Old 01-13-17, 08:32 PM
robert2423
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

i have this aswell didn't start until this winter so im not sure... mine are bipolar, usually the first stop out the neighborhood and thats it.

Quick Reply: Horrible noises from brakes. Video