IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Question for those with navigation...

Old 01-04-17, 05:30 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Question for those with navigation...

I imagine this question only affects those who purchased their car.
My car is a 2014 built and purchased at the end of 2013. I assume the maps are most likely 2012 info.
If my nav is up when I come home, I'm driving on farmland instead of current streets.
$200+ is steep, but I'm running around with 4 year old info.

How often do you update your navigation info?
Old 01-04-17, 05:40 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

TBH, I don't bother since I usually end up using Waze on my smartphone. It's always up-to-date and provides me with the real-time traffic and other route updates along my commute which in Canada we don't get (Enform).
Old 01-04-17, 01:27 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

i mean, how often do the roads change in your area? the roads almost never change where i live and so i don't upgrade the nav map. it's a waste of money. if i lived in an area where the roads were changing constantly due to construction or new housing developments, then sure, but i don't.
Old 01-04-17, 02:05 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
TBH, I don't bother since I usually end up using Waze on my smartphone. It's always up-to-date and provides me with the real-time traffic and other route updates along my commute which in Canada we don't get (Enform).
My phone stays in my purse, so it's never out for me to check any navi apps. Maybe if I had a bigger phone (don't want one), I'd be more prone to use it.

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i mean, how often do the roads change in your area? the roads almost never change where i live and so i don't upgrade the nav map. it's a waste of money. if i lived in an area where the roads were changing constantly due to construction or new housing developments, then sure, but i don't.
Now that you mention it, we've been in the midst of a construction boom over the past few years (and still continuing). There's no telling how many new areas there are.

Maybe, I'll look into it and see what is current and when a new one is due for release.
Thanks guys.
Old 01-04-17, 02:58 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Maps are stores on a SD card. If you know what you're doing you could purchase a up to date SD card from someone or somewhere.

ORR

If you know someone with the current gen nav system, you could copy the data onto a blank SD card.

Again, that's if you know what your're doing.
Old 01-04-17, 03:14 PM
3actual
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2016 IS350, and there has been a couple times where the GPS showed me off road. The roads I was on had been there for quite some time. I wouldn't spend $100 to update my car GPS especially when Google maps is years ahead of its competition.
Old 01-04-17, 03:17 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
Maps are stores on a SD card. If you know what you're doing you could purchase a up to date SD card from someone or somewhere.

ORR

If you know someone with the current gen nav system, you could copy the data onto a blank SD card.

Again, that's if you know what your're doing.
I doubt that it's that easy :-)
Old 01-04-17, 03:18 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02d
I doubt that it's that easy :-)
You never know! That's what I've been told.
Old 01-04-17, 03:35 PM
metrik
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Google maps on my phone. Navigation is for looks
Old 01-04-17, 03:42 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
You never know! That's what I've been told.
From what I've heard all the data on the card is encrypted. And you know how good Toyota encryption is!
Old 01-04-17, 04:55 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by doodlebug

How often do you update your navigation info?
I have a 2016 IS350 with Nav. I won't be contemplating a new Nav card until at least 2020.
Old 01-04-17, 06:48 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly, I only use nav for the breadcrumbs whenever I venture off somewhere unfamiliar. It takes far too long to enter and address and get going.
Old 01-04-17, 07:13 PM
SilvrBulet
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never update mine. I got a free upgrade recently because of the infotainment software update apparently. If I can't find the location on my GPS in my IS350, I usually just pop up my phone and google maps.
Old 01-04-17, 11:26 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

You're better off spending money on getting an iPhone/Android mirroring system. About $380 and some installation gives you the ability to see what's on your phone on your Nav screen. Check out Beat-Sonic.
Old 01-05-17, 01:23 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 3actual
I have a 2016 IS350, and there has been a couple times where the GPS showed me off road.
It happened to me too but these were mostly shopping-center-related secondary roads, there were no addresses associated with them, I doubt they will ever be part of any update.
I think database update is mostly about businesses closing/opening - this is where most of the change happens. Even my trusty Garmin unit which updates
a few times per year can't catch up with the business world, I was astonished that a big Nordstrom in the center of Walnut Creek wasn't in its data base - the location
unchanged for years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for those with navigation...