IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

OBD2 Bluetooth Scanners: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Old 12-27-16, 02:53 PM
redspyda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD2 Bluetooth Scanners: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

I'm interested in using an app like Torque or Dash Command to connect to an OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner. I am interested in how well they perform with an IS250, Has anyone experience any issues using them and which apps do people prefer. I don't have any OBD2 errors, I am just interesting in seeing real time performance.

I have an android phone and ordered this ScanTool from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-28-16, 09:06 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

never used torque or dash command, but I have the carista bluetooth scanner and use the carista app. I haven't used any of the fancy features, just read maintenance codes on my cars.

haven't had to read maintenance codes yet on the IS, but have done it for my family's Honda Accords.

I have an older scan gauge II old school obd ii scanner that provides fuel economy readings and get performance readings etc, along with the ability to clear out codes, etc. Still works great.
Old 12-28-16, 09:30 AM
ToDesi
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I have this in my glove box for any check engine light that may appear while I'm driving like I had last week. I pulled over and it was quickly able to tell me I had an O2 sensor issues. It can also give you performance information

https://www.lemurmonitors.com/

I confirmed with my Professional obd scanner when I got home and it confirmed the same codes.
Old 12-28-16, 09:31 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 for scangauge. i had it mounted on my s2000 and later on my mini. it's a good tool
Old 12-29-16, 07:08 AM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I use this one and some software on my laptop for the real stuff and It works like a charm. I also have it hooked up to an old phone via Bluetooth and I just leave it plugged in and I can turn my car's display into another set of guages. I have a little box that allows me to use the aux input on my car to view the smart phone. Just leave torque running on the phone the extended life battery holds up about 48 hours. I'm sure I could hook it up so the smart phone stays alive for ever but I am lazy.

http://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-426101-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional/dp/B006NZTZLQ/ref=pd_sim_263_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B006NZTZLQ&pd_rd_r=XMMDSTPZSPNYQA0HQ09E&pd_rd_w=qcK3z&pd_rd_wg=ukEsy&psc=1&refRID=XMMDSTPZSPNYQA0HQ09E http://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-426101-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional/dp/B006NZTZLQ/ref=pd_sim_263_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B006NZTZLQ&pd_rd_r=XMMDSTPZSPNYQA0HQ09E&pd_rd_w=qcK3z&pd_rd_wg=ukEsy&psc=1&refRID=XMMDSTPZSPNYQA0HQ09E

Last edited by manchild; 12-29-16 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-29-16, 10:16 AM
redspyda
Driver School Candidate

What kind of little box do u plug into the AUX port?
Old 12-29-16, 11:28 AM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by redspyda
What kind of little box do u plug into the AUX port?
For an easy solution with a step by step guide and everything you need in one package go here to beatsonic.

You are so in for an adventure. Here is the shopping list...
MHL Cable convert from phone to HDMI MHL Cable convert from phone to HDMI
(make sure you pick one compatible with iphone if you have an iphone and one compatible with Samsung if you have a galaxy. The powered ones seem to work better

HDMI to AV converter HDMI to AV converter
(you need this because the aux port is not HDMI compatible)

3. 4 pole AV to 3.5mm cable to plug into the car (you MUST get a 4 pole cable)

4. A low profile power adapter to power the giant pile of stuff you are putting in your glove box.

Now there is a guide here
if you want it to be able to run while the car is in motion so you can see the gauges you will need a beatsonic

After you combine all of those things and the beatsonic you get to see your A/F ratio and other utterly useless gauges while you drive. I already planned on installing the Beatsonic because I hate being locked out of anything I own so that was a given. I had the Galaxy S4 from when I left Verizon a few years ago, so again that cost me no new money. The only things I got to make this happen are the 4 pole AV to 3.5mm cable, the HDMI converter and the MHL cord.

If you hook it all up and you get sound and no picture plug red into yellow and yellow into red if that doesn't work plug yellow into white. If the sound is criss-crossed (Jump, Jump) then swap red with white.

PM me if you want step by step directions. Word of warning it will run in either 480i or 560i because the AV input on the car is not high definition. If you find yourself waiting in our car allot and have an unlimited data plan feel free to mirror movies off amazon or dish network my son loves that while we wait for my wife to finish her cross country races.

Last edited by manchild; 12-29-16 at 11:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mth666 (08-13-23)
Old 12-29-16, 04:11 PM
redspyda
Driver School Candidate

I finally got my Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner in the mail. I was able to install it quickly and easily, No problems at all. I tried 4 different apps on android on a quick drive, about an hour.

Torque
Dash Command
Dash
OBDLink (Exclusivity for the ODBLink Adapter)

Out of all four, the one I like most was the OBDLink. It was easiest to connect and all the features are available. I used the trail versions of Torque and Dash Command. The Dash Command would only allow a 30 minute trail. The Torque app warned of issues with Pandora but I didn't not experience any so far. However it did crash and took the longest to connect. The Dash app was free and generic, it does not have any gauges or customization feature. I will continue to try these apps and get back with any feedback.