IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My Ownership Comparison - 3IS vs 2017 Audi A4

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-16, 06:38 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Smile My Ownership Comparison - 3IS vs 2017 Audi A4

I posted this in this other thread here but thought it needed more visibility to provide some insight to anyone considering the new A4. I have so far owned for 1 month, the newly redesigned '17 A4 S-Line (similar to " F Sport" with a sport suspension, sport wheels, seats, etc.). I had the '14 IS 250 AWD F Sport.

It's a dry read so grab a cup of coffee to stay awake

Exterior and Interior styling: IS better - it's sexy/sporty/sculpted, A4 is smooth and somewhat bland and not digging the horizontal "vents" spanning most of the dash.
Exterior fit/finish: Tie
Exterior build/solidity feel: Tie except the IS has a more refined vault-sounding door slam.
Interior fit/finish/material quality: A4 better - looks and feels more expensive including the beautiful steering wheel.
Interior build solidity/tactile feel: A4 a touch better.
Handling/fun to drive: IS F Sport a touch more fun to drive/slightly better balanced but feels a touch heavier.
Braking: Tie. A4 stops a little more quickly but brakes are too grabby whereas the IS' are more linear and easier to control.

Engine/exhaust sound: IS V6 light years better (no comparison)
Power/responsiveness: Tie. IS V6 better in responsiveness, but the A4's Turbo 4 builds power better at mid-range/highway driving.
Snow traction: Not a fair comparison since my A4 is FWD and my past IS was AWD (AWD on all-season is better in snow than the A4 with winters).
Tech: A4 better. Infotainment looks and feels more advanced and the Virtual Cockpit (don't have) is sweet. Also have the 360 camera and Memory seats in the A4, something not possible on the F Sport.
Ergonomics: IS a touch better, more intuitive and easier to reach controls. Also visibility to gauges is not obstructed (A4's wheel partially blocks the temp and fuel gauges)
Tranny shifter: IS much better. A4's is electronic similar to the Grand Cherokee's making gear selection finicky.

Parking Brake: A4 better as it's electronic and easier to engage/disengage.
Ride quality: Tie
Seats: IS F Sport seats are better - they fit you like a glove, A4's sport seats, not so much.
Road/wind noise: A4 a touch better
Powertrain Vibration: IS V6/tranny smoother though the A4's 4-banger Turbo is smooth except in high gear/low rpm where the DSG introduces some minor vibration under load.
Tranny: Tie. A4's DSG shifts quickly but IS's is slighthly smoother shifting. Both have paddle shifters.
Interior room: A4 better - can fit 3 at the rear in ok comfort, no so much in the IS.

Cargo room/folding seats: Tie
Fuel economy: A4 light years better at 28 MPG combined vs 20 MPG for the IS under similar conditions.
Insurance: Tie (A4 costs me 15$ more a year, negligible).
Dealership experience: Lexus better. The purchase and servicing experience with the A4 was no better than at VW or Toyota.
Misc: No de-icer on the A4 makes for frozen wipers vs IS does; A4 sideview mirrors are considerably smaller than the IS'; heated seats are scorching HOT in the A4 vs "OK" on the IS at their highest setting. No cargo mat in the A4 vs standard equipment in the IS (in Can at least); A4's carpeting including textile and rubber winter mats are of thicker more premium quality and feel vs IS; visibility is slightly better with the A4 all around.

Price/Value: Styling aside, A4 edges out the IS thanks to similar pricing like for like with options.

The million dollar question: What would I pick today after 1 month of ownership with the A4? ***Honestly, it's a toss-up which in a way is bad considering I just got the A4***. I really miss the IS' more exciting styling and sportier feel but I don't miss it's horrible gas mileage. The A4 is the more sensible, sophisticated, and "buttoned-down" choice but I hardly do a double-take after I park it. Hmmm...

Last edited by corradoMR2; 12-21-16 at 06:48 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by corradoMR2:
computerwi (12-24-16), L0ngJ0hn (12-24-16), UngBuck (12-24-16)
Old 12-21-16, 09:30 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Great review. The only Audi I would ever get personally would be the RS7.....which obviously isn't in my near future lol. I haven't really been a fan of the Audi interior but the quality is definitely there
Old 12-23-16, 07:03 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Great comparison, and great conclusion; much better than many journalist comparisons.
Old 12-23-16, 07:05 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

i absolutely love audi's new offerings! congrats on the purchase. i'm waiting for it to make more fiscal sense before i get rid of my 3IS and into an audi a4/a5.
Old 12-23-16, 07:34 AM
metrik
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always wanted to try an Audi, particularly the S5. I've been a BMW driver primarily and recently came from an M3. Reading this post makes me somewhat more confident about my decision to go Japanese. Thanks for the review and enjoy that Audi!
Old 12-23-16, 01:23 PM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I too have cast a wandering eye on the Audi A4 because I really like the look of the car. What stops me is the better reliability stats for Lexus over Audi. If only the Germans could get their act together to make a reliable car.
Old 12-23-16, 02:40 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rVague
I too have cast a wandering eye on the Audi A4 because I really like the look of the car. What stops me is the better reliability stats for Lexus over Audi. If only the Germans could get their act together to make a reliable car.
audi has been ranked highly in terms of reliability as of late. i can't imagine that there is any insight into how the cars will fare in the long run, although the preliminary data looks favorable.
Old 12-23-16, 03:03 PM
metrik
Rookie

German engines are great, it's everything else that's a pain!
Old 12-23-16, 05:03 PM
Lindenlea
Rookie

Default Interesting move

having owned a 98 A4 and an 02 A4 I experienced the unique attributes of German sedans . So happy with my USB is350 I can't imagine going back. Interesting write up, thanks for posting.
Old 12-23-16, 05:29 PM
Toh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to ask, What rims are those on your IS?
Old 12-23-16, 07:04 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks for sharing your balanced observations. Loved the look of your IS.

Savjam
Old 12-24-16, 07:24 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Got rid of the HS already? 8-)
Old 12-24-16, 08:58 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by brendanf
Got rid of the HS already? 8-)
who wouldn't? lol
Old 12-24-16, 02:18 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks for the comments folks.

HS was the perfect daily driver but much like a reliable appliance, I struggled to find any excitement with it.

Wheels on the IS are Verde Axis graphite.
Old 12-27-16, 02:02 PM
Cthan3o3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any feedback on the quality of Verde wheels, thinking of picking up a set

Quick Reply: My Ownership Comparison - 3IS vs 2017 Audi A4