IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

When cold my brakes are LOUD! Hurt your ears loud!!

Old 12-19-16, 12:53 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When cold my brakes are LOUD! Hurt your ears loud!!

Is this normal ? 2016, 9,000 miles on it..

https://goo.gl/photos/7jQri1ACNmErVDeY6
Old 12-19-16, 01:07 PM
Toh
Rookie

Especially when its cold, yes. Give it time to warm up or switch em out. Tons of topics on this in the forums regarding the f sport brakes.
Old 12-19-16, 01:10 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Toh
Especially when its cold, yes. Give it time to warm up or switch em out. Tons of topics on this in the forums regarding the f sport brakes.
So taking it in on Friday is a waste of time? Even if they swap them for free they'll still make the same noise? Talk about an embarrassing noise lol my friend in a Honda fit was ragging on the lexus the other day.
Old 12-19-16, 01:14 PM
Toh
Rookie

If you switch to the same OEM brakes, it won't be immediate, but eventually will make the sound as they're performance pads. There are other substitutes that might fit your need in other threads for brake pads.
Old 12-19-16, 03:21 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah you need to warm them up a bit.
Old 12-19-16, 03:28 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Well that's interesting. I guess I'm just kind of shocked a Luxury car would have this problem..
Old 12-19-16, 09:16 PM
isosunrise
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in for it.. haven't driven my car in 3 weeks or so and it's 30s here in NJ 😵😆
Old 12-19-16, 09:55 PM
CriMe
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Im in the same boat. Took my 16 in for this as well. 13,000 miles and brakes shriek when it's cold. Sounds horrible. They told me it was normal for "sport pads" and that brake replacement won't be covered anyway, even at my mileage. I cant deal with the noise anymore. Wakes up the neighborhood when i'm going to work. I ordered new Stoptech drilled rotors (i also have mild pulsation when braking from moderate speed) and akebono pads. Im just going to do it myself.
Old 12-20-16, 04:54 AM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's normal, happens to me too. It only makes the noise when I lightly step on the brakes. It's a pain in the butt, but in order to warm the brakes up quickly I just accelerate to about 15-20 mph and slam on the brakes as hard as I can (2 times). After that, no problem
Old 12-20-16, 06:53 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

honestly that's just ridiculous... It may sound spoiled but I'm driving a luxury brand so I don't have to worry about things like this...
Old 12-20-16, 08:12 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I live in sunny (never cold) South Florida and this issue sometimes happens to me until my brakes are warmed sufficiently, usually after not even a minute of driving/braking. As we know, the F Sport models use a brake pad that uses a harder compound than the non F sport models. When they are cold, they are noisy. This is normal operation, and is a characteristic of the pad's compound. Lexus obviously chose this higher performance brake pad for a reason.

I wonder if and how performance of the brake pads are affected in freezing weather?
Old 12-20-16, 09:14 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Machine13
I live in sunny (never cold) South Florida and this issue sometimes happens to me until my brakes are warmed sufficiently, usually after not even a minute of driving/braking. As we know, the F Sport models use a brake pad that uses a harder compound than the non F sport models. When they are cold, they are noisy. This is normal operation, and is a characteristic of the pad's compound. Lexus obviously chose this higher performance brake pad for a reason.

I wonder if and how performance of the brake pads are affected in freezing weather?
I wonder if the mercs and bmw's do the same thing...
Old 12-20-16, 09:37 AM
CriMe
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
honestly that's just ridiculous... It may sound spoiled but I'm driving a luxury brand so I don't have to worry about things like this...
I agree with you. My g37 with Akebono sport brakes never did this. Then again, none of my maximas did either, and neither did my rusty old buick or pontiac.

I never had this problem last winter in this car, which is why I was annoyed by lexus' "it's normal" response to my issue. Seems like the issue does not begin to present itself until the pads have gotten some miles on them. My pads still have plenty of life left, yet I still have the early morning squeal. Waiting for a day when the weather is a little better so that I can dump these pads and be rid of this issue.

Last edited by CriMe; 12-20-16 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-20-16, 09:49 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

While this issue apparently has to do with the brake pads Lexus chose to use on the F sport models, I'm sure it is not historically specific to Lexus only. Other car models have certainly, at some point, had this same basic issue. I had it happen before with one of my Mazdaspeeds.

I agree with Lexus, it's normal for high performance pads, in certain environmental conditions, and it doesn't affect performance, probably...

Also, the more miles I'm putting on my car the less I'm getting the brake squeal. I really haven't heard it happen in several months now. I have 12,500 miles on them now.

However, all said, I agree the sound is annoying and possibly even embarrassing.
Old 12-20-16, 11:57 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,485 Likes on 1,796 Posts

Weird. I only had the brakes do that on the first cold day here this year, and since then I haven't heard it happen again. I guess it helps I park in a garage at night? I mean this morning it was about 19 degrees F, and no squeal.

Sitting at about 2400 miles on the car at the moment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When cold my brakes are LOUD! Hurt your ears loud!!