IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

When cold my brakes are LOUD! Hurt your ears loud!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-17, 04:55 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

that noise is totally unacceptable...let alone embarrassing. no car, at any price, should sound like that. only had one instance like that and it was with my '07 vette after several thousand miles from new. i did a brake bed-in procedure and it went away. later i had rotors and pads replaced and did the bed-in after a little break-in time and it never happened on those brakes. might be worth a try.

http://brakeperformance.com/bedding-...=impact.radius
Old 02-01-17, 06:29 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gbgary
that noise is totally unacceptable...let alone embarrassing. no car, at any price, should sound like that. only had one instance like that and it was with my '07 vette after several thousand miles from new. i did a brake bed-in procedure and it went away. later i had rotors and pads replaced and did the bed-in after a little break-in time and it never happened on those brakes. might be worth a try.

http://brakeperformance.com/bedding-...=impact.radius
Thanks for the link, have checked it out and will def do the procedure if pads and rotors get replaced.

Since I got the car back, I've now noticed that the rotors are rusting a bit... and the sound is back, it's not as consistent, but it's there...just happened today... Sent an email to the dealership, we'll see what they say.
Old 02-01-17, 07:15 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, I just got a brand newa 2016 IS 200T Fsport in October too and been having the same brake noise problems when I lightly press on it. Im glad it's not just my car.
So is the issue caused by the OEM Brake Pads? or the Rotor? If it's just the brake pads, I will switch to the Akebono pads.
Old 02-01-17, 07:21 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

Originally Posted by SwiftIS
For those who are saying "I bought a luxury brand", keep in mind, you also bought the sport package. High performance/track metallic pads will always squeal when cold. If you can't deal with that, switch over to akebono ACT ceramic pads. They will be quiet and also eliminate the nasty brake dust.
But if I switched to the Akebono pads, would the brake performance decrease as well? it has to be right? cause you can't get the good from both worlds, ther'es trade offs right?
But why does almost everyone recommend Akebono pads? aren't there a tons of pads out there? why Akebono? just wondering, thx.
Old 02-02-17, 09:01 AM
gbgary
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jincuteguy
Hey guys, I just got a brand newa 2016 IS 200T Fsport in October too and been having the same brake noise problems when I lightly press on it. Im glad it's not just my car.
So is the issue caused by the OEM Brake Pads? or the Rotor? If it's just the brake pads, I will switch to the Akebono pads.
have you babied your brakes since you've got the car? if so give the bed-in procedure a try. follow the procedure as accurately as you can. as i mentioned i've only had one car (a c6 vette) that i ever had to do this to but it worked. it was a very common complaint at the time. if my IS starts it i won't hesitate to try it.
Old 02-03-17, 12:29 PM
Vivid101
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the dealer sanded the pads down and greased the shims. Problem went away for me. Same noise too.
Old 02-04-17, 06:54 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

Originally Posted by gbgary
have you babied your brakes since you've got the car? if so give the bed-in procedure a try. follow the procedure as accurately as you can. as i mentioned i've only had one car (a c6 vette) that i ever had to do this to but it worked. it was a very common complaint at the time. if my IS starts it i won't hesitate to try it.
Yea I've been baby the brake since I got the car. If I see a Stop sign ahead, I would step on the break lightly and slow down until the car comes to a full stop. Yea but this is a brand new car. Why would a new car have this issue?
Old 02-04-17, 06:55 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

Originally Posted by Vivid101
the dealer sanded the pads down and greased the shims. Problem went away for me. Same noise too.
What you mean sand the pads down? Isn't the pad is rubbing against the rotor when you break?
Old 02-04-17, 09:25 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

What you mean sand the pads down? Isn't the pad is rubbing against the rotor when you break?
they get "glazed" over. the sanding takes that off. some sand rotors too. it's caused by too much heat. driving with your foot on the brake, uneven pad pressure on rotor, are a couple of things that can cause it. sanding is a quick fix. if that doesn't work they'll replace pads sometimes. google it.
Old 02-22-17, 04:07 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Today, 56 and sunny... all four squeaking backing out of my space at work.. sigh.

Sent an email off asking for replacement, we'll see what they do. Not impressed..
Old 02-23-17, 08:16 AM
Vivid101
Pole Position

They basically take out the pads. Rough it up with sand paper and put them back in. I'm about a month out an still no more loud noises. It fixed my issue. It was happening in cold weather and even 80 degree weather.

I could have done it myself but its under warranty. I'm not touching anything on this car.
Old 02-23-17, 08:16 AM
Vivid101
Pole Position

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
Today, 56 and sunny... all four squeaking backing out of my space at work.. sigh.

Sent an email off asking for replacement, we'll see what they do. Not impressed..

I usually get a slight seek for about 5 feet or so when backing up. Then it goes away.
Old 02-23-17, 11:01 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Vivid101
I usually get a slight seek for about 5 feet or so when backing up. Then it goes away.
+1, this is exactly my experience too. Might be squeaky the first time I use my brakes, then, no problem.
Old 02-23-17, 05:13 PM
isosunrise
Pole Position

Not experiencing the exact same issue. But when I reverse I have major clunking noises. Dealer says normal something about a pin or something. Sounds like *****.
Old 12-18-17, 12:10 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

And it's still here.

So lexus attempted a fix last year, worked for a bit but then came back. I have sent 3 emails to service, 2 have been replied to (last year) the 3rd was just completely ignored.

I called them up today because now not only does it make noise, but I'm also getting vibration when hitting the brakes. I basically told them that I don't like that they weren't replaced last year when the problem happened and now after their fix they are warped. Service rep said he'd talk to his manager when the manager get in tomorrow (weird how these managers never seem to be at work when I call.)..

Don't have high hopes, figure I'll just drive it as is till the least is up in 11 months and go get a cheaper car..

Quick Reply: When cold my brakes are LOUD! Hurt your ears loud!!