IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

When cold my brakes are LOUD! Hurt your ears loud!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-16, 12:08 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CriMe
I agree with you. My g37 with Akebono sport brakes never did this. Then again, none of my maximas did either, and neither did my rusty old buick or pontiac.

I never had this problem last winter in this car, which is why I was annoyed by lexus' "it's normal" response to my issue. Seems like the issue does not begin to present itself until the pads have gotten some miles on them. My pads still have plenty of life left, yet I still have the early morning squeal. Waiting for a day when the weather is a little better so that I can dump these pads and be rid of this issue.
Right? My main issue is that the salesman and NO ONE at lexus told me that if I picked this luxury Fsport I would have squeaky brakes on cold days. I may have chosen something different. In all fairness I haven't given lexus a chance to fix it yet... (dropping it off this friday for 10k service and for this issue) - honestly if I don't come out of this with new brake pads that don't squeal every single time I pull out of a parking spot... covered by warranty I'm going to be a little upset.
Old 12-20-16, 12:10 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arentz07
Weird. I only had the brakes do that on the first cold day here this year, and since then I haven't heard it happen again. I guess it helps I park in a garage at night? I mean this morning it was about 19 degrees F, and no squeal.

Sitting at about 2400 miles on the car at the moment.
I keep mine in a heated garage... thermostat set to 55.. and it still seems to happen every morning lately.. the video in the OP was made after the car sat out in 28 degree weather for 2 hours..
Old 12-20-16, 12:17 PM
Toh
Rookie

Going to the dealer will be tough luck, but do definitely try it. Might get something out of them. I did when I was at around ~10k mileage and they said the same thing But like the other posts said, the squeal did go away after putting some mileage. I'm sitting on 21k miles on a 2015 f sport and the squeal only happens for some reason when I reverse only and it is not that bad at all & infrequently.
Old 12-20-16, 12:21 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Toh
Going to the dealer will be tough luck, but do definitely try it. Might get something out of them. I did when I was at around ~10k mileage and they said the same thing But like the other posts said, the squeal did go away after putting some mileage. I'm sitting on 21k miles on a 2015 f sport and the squeal only happens for some reason when I reverse only and it is not that bad at all & infrequently.
It's weird, mine seems to happen almost every time, even after 15 mins of sitting there...went into CVS and got two things, came back out SQQQUEEEEAALLLL..

Also seems like the right front is the only one making noise..
Old 12-20-16, 01:09 PM
SwiftIS
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

For those who are saying "I bought a luxury brand", keep in mind, you also bought the sport package. High performance/track metallic pads will always squeal when cold. If you can't deal with that, switch over to akebono ACT ceramic pads. They will be quiet and also eliminate the nasty brake dust.
Old 12-20-16, 01:54 PM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

One of my job duties is writing custom product warranties for our customers. I would like to call to your attention, in the most basic of terms, WHY Lexus' warranty simply does not cover this brake creep groan sound.

Referring to Lexus' warranty here: http://www.lexus.com/warranty

The second line of the Basic Warranty states "This warranty covers repairs and adjustments needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship of any part supplied by Lexus."

Simply put, this brake creep groan sound we are hearing is neither a defect in material or workmanship. The part has, in fact, not yet been shown to have defects in materials or workmanship at all by anyone, just that it makes noises under certain circumstances. This is, therefore, not a defect in material or workmanship that affects the correct and safe operation of the part.

BTW, I don't believe this issue happens to the majority of F sport owners, but is obviously more prevalent with owners who choose to live in cold climates. Where a person chooses to live, BTW, is outside of Lexus' control.

Now, by all means I do encourage you to try to get the dealership to fix your issue, and if you can get them to do so, great! But I caution you, be careful not to make false statements to them that they have any warranty liability whatsoever because your claim that this is a warranty issue WILL NOT hold up in a court of law, or even to a service tech with an iota of common sense. It simply isn't covered by the warranty provided for the car you chose to buy. You don't want to burn bridges with them. So, you should approach this discussion with them from a standpoint that you are dissatisfied with the brake issue and that if they don't elect to fix it (which, BTW, will require non F sport brake pads) then maybe suggest this will be the last car you ever buy from their dealership and you will tell everyone you know about your experience at this dealership. Or, you could just live with it or buy different brake pads on your own.

I'd just avoid making assumptions that will make you look ignorant to them and possibly burn bridges.

Please note I'm only trying to help you know what your rights are and what to expect from them. I hope you can get satisfactory resolution on this matter. The IS is such a great car.

Happy Holidays!

Last edited by Machine13; 12-20-16 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-20-16, 05:22 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

All I'm saying is that if the sales guy would have said something I may have made a different choice...not 100% sure, but it would have been nice to KNOW about this issue.

Just tonight I was out on a 2nd date with a girl, get in the car and she's LOVING the blue F sport.. and then SSSSSSSSSQQQQQQQQQWWWWWEAKKKKKKKKKKK lol.. and then it did it again and again, at least for 10 mins of driving!! Talk about embarrassing, I did tell her it's going into the shop for it.. and by the way it didn't have this problem last winter.

Either way - I'm simply dropping the car off with video proof of the problem. I would find "that's just how it is" unacceptable for the amount of money paid each month. If I need to bring it in to have winter pads put on and summer pads put on, fine...I'll do it..just as I do with tires.
Old 12-23-16, 01:07 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Car was brought in earlier today - techs all agreed that this was NOT normal.

They "lightly resurfaced the rotors" and "lightly sanded the brake pads" - the claim is that this is what lexus requires when this happens.

It's got 10,000 miles on it now, I've only got it till 30,000 miles. I am going to mention to the service person that resurfacing and sanding has me worried about premature wearing out of the brakes and see what he says.

What do you all think?

Edit:
Got the car back, problem appears to be fixed, seems like I'd be replacing brakes before 30,000 miles anyway so it's a moot point.

This dealership constantly reminds me why I went to lexus.
1. They didn't charge a dollar for anything with the brakes.
2. Washed/vacd/tireshined car.
3. Filled the gas tank!

No other brand does that!!

Last edited by J3ffrey; 12-23-16 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-23-16, 11:50 PM
CriMe
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad it worked out for you, Jeff. I wish all dealerships were like yours. My advisor said brakes are "a wear and tear item anyway" and didnt even mention resurfacing rotors or replacing the pads. If my car had 30k, i can understand. But to be told this noise is normal at 13k was unsettling. Ah well. I'll handle it on my own. Thanks again for the update.

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
Car was brought in earlier today - techs all agreed that this was NOT normal.

They "lightly resurfaced the rotors" and "lightly sanded the brake pads" - the claim is that this is what lexus requires when this happens.

It's got 10,000 miles on it now, I've only got it till 30,000 miles. I am going to mention to the service person that resurfacing and sanding has me worried about premature wearing out of the brakes and see what he says.

What do you all think?

Edit:
Got the car back, problem appears to be fixed, seems like I'd be replacing brakes before 30,000 miles anyway so it's a moot point.

This dealership constantly reminds me why I went to lexus.
1. They didn't charge a dollar for anything with the brakes.
2. Washed/vacd/tireshined car.
3. Filled the gas tank!

No other brand does that!!
Old 12-24-16, 05:47 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CriMe
Glad it worked out for you, Jeff. I wish all dealerships were like yours. My advisor said brakes are "a wear and tear item anyway" and didnt even mention resurfacing rotors or replacing the pads. If my car had 30k, i can understand. But to be told this noise is normal at 13k was unsettling. Ah well. I'll handle it on my own. Thanks again for the update.
Take video and note the temperature's. Mine were doing it even when sitting in a heated garage (between 50 and 60 F)... I'm hoping it's fixed but I haven't gotten to drive it much yet..
Old 12-24-16, 06:51 AM
CriMe
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Take video and note the temperature's. Mine were doing it even when sitting in a heated garage (between 50 and 60 F)... I'm hoping it's fixed but I haven't gotten to drive it much yet..
Yep, I showed him a video of the noise from inside the car, with the gauge cluster and temperature visible. They road tested the vehicle, noted the noise and mild pedal pulsation, but then said that the noise is normal and that the pads have "plenty of meat" left. They then advised against replacing them or resurfacing the rotors, because the warranty does not cover wear and tear items such as brakes. I figured that would be their response, so I just said OK, and left it at that. I'm really glad that your dealership is more understanding than mine.

My brakes squeak even after the initial few applications. For example, coming home from work this morning after driving about 6 miles on the highway, I tapped the brakes and had a mild squeal. It sucks, but at least we are not obligated to keep the OEM pads/rotors. After this experience, I will never put the OEM stuff on the car again.
Old 12-26-16, 10:46 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I wonder if the mercs and bmw's do the same thing...
They would not be immune to physics. The pad compound on the F Sport cars is "performance oriented." The different compound is also responsible for it being impossible to keep the front wheels clean.

Not much of the brake noise here yet, but the car only has 3,900 miles on it and it doesn't get very cold. The pads make a little noise after you wash the car and they are wet, too. All of my cars have done this, but I have only had 5 so far and 3 were Lexus (1 Toyota, 1 Fiat).

Last edited by link13; 12-26-16 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-02-17, 12:23 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Just want to check back in, the noise is absolutely gone... not even a little squeak out of them for a week.
Old 01-09-17, 05:09 PM
14ISFSPORT
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car does this too annoying
Old 01-12-17, 04:36 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

well...sigh...now the rears are starting to do it...even when it's warm out (today)..

Quick Reply: When cold my brakes are LOUD! Hurt your ears loud!!