IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Exhaust mod ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-16, 12:39 PM
Tg22ar
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got my IS200t back from my boys shop. Got the Invidia resonated Midpipe with the Invidia Q300 axleback. It sounds fantastic. I'm glad I went that route, well worth the $. Don't do a "custom" exhaust, from experience, 99% of em sound like 💩. Spend the $ and buy an axleback of some sort then if you want to go a step further grab a Midpipe. All I'm waiting for is a downpipe and it'll be complete. Oh and it's all bolt on too, no crappy welds on my exhaust. 😉 I also have an Injen SP intake which makes it louder and throatier as well. Oh, the difference in diameter is a lot too. The stock piping is weak.

Last edited by Tg22ar; 12-23-16 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-23-16, 12:54 PM
KYIS350F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tg22ar
Just got my IS200t back from my boys shop. Got the Invidia resonated Midpipe with the Invidia Q300 axleback. It sounds fantastic. I'm glad I went that route, well worth the $. Don't do a "custom" exhaust, from experience, 99% of em sound like 💩. Spend the $ and buy an axleback of some sort then if you want to go a step further grab a Midpipe. All I'm waiting for is a downpipe and it'll be complete. Oh and it's all bolt on too, no crappy welds on my exhaust. 😉 I also have an Injen SP intake which makes it louder and throatier as well. Oh, the difference in diameter is a lot too. The stock piping is weak.
@ Lveyolfe (thread starter), 👆🏽This is prolly the best course of action if you're financially able to afford it. You mentioned funds were low due to your new suspension so I suggest this set up or in the interim, simply delete the mufflers and add straight piping with tips until you can afford an axle back. 99% of cars w/muffler deletes sound like dump trucks but that's not the case with the IS350.
Old 12-23-16, 05:28 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KYIS350F
Sounds good SubieChik.

It could be the 4- cylinder turbo but my V6 sounds much different. I didn't touch the resonator but did delete the mufflers. Mine has a much deeper/ throatier sound.
It is very different....I'm still getting used to it. I had a Greddy Spectrum Elite on my last IS and I absolutely loved the way it sounded but it was a v6. I was going to try and make it fit on the 3IS but the mufflers were too long I was sad about it because that exhaust is discontinued and it would have been a one of a kind of the 3IS.

This was how it sounded. Greddy + Invidia Midpipe + Injen Intake
View this post on Instagram

Originally Posted by Tg22ar
Just got my IS200t back from my boys shop. Got the Invidia resonated Midpipe with the Invidia Q300 axleback. It sounds fantastic. I'm glad I went that route, well worth the $. Don't do a "custom" exhaust, from experience, 99% of em sound like ��. Spend the $ and buy an axleback of some sort then if you want to go a step further grab a Midpipe. All I'm waiting for is a downpipe and it'll be complete. Oh and it's all bolt on too, no crappy welds on my exhaust. �� I also have an Injen SP intake which makes it louder and throatier as well. Oh, the difference in diameter is a lot too. The stock piping is weak.

I absolutely could afford an axleback exhaust but I chose to go this route because I wanted something custom and different.....I like thinking out of the box and not getting what everyone else has. If someone crawls under my car to look at my welds that's fine lol. And I don't know if you actually heard your exhaust without the Injen but there is really no difference in the sound. Only difference I noticed was I can now hear the stock BPV loud and clear.

Last edited by SubieChik; 12-23-16 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-25-16, 12:17 AM
Gerxiong89
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

First off, yes sir you can unbolt your axle back and have the muffler shop build you an axle back with no mufflers so you can just switch from muffler delete to stock when you want to. Muffler delete gives you a nice deep done that most aftermarket axle back can't. However it's also louder. I first did the muffler delete and love it. Next I had a custom midpipe done, it's just straight pipe into x pipe to muffler delete. Super loud and raspy, resonators are on the way to try to get rid of the rasp but it sounds beast.
First video is muffler delete only. Second video is muffler and resonator delete with x pipe. Third video is in car of muffler delete and resonator delete.
https://youtu.be/OkKK0hUnJZo
https://youtu.be/gWP7bOxFnCE
https://youtu.be/9nSISP9leaM
Old 12-25-16, 10:01 PM
Dramire3
Driver School Candidate

I have currently 3 options that fit my budget.

1) Apexi N1 axleback used for $375.00

2) Magnaflow axleback used for $450.00

3) muffler delete ofcourse with new tips (should be under $200)

What do you guys think is better for my budget? I am not looking for anything too aggresive. From what ive heard on youtube videos the magnaflow is deep and not that loud. Do you guys think I would be getting a deal for either of those exhaust? Thanks for your input.
Old 12-25-16, 10:20 PM
Dramire3
Driver School Candidate

I also found this one for the same price range

https://www.amazon.com/Tsudo-Lexus-Titanium-Axleback-Exhaust/dp/B00V7CPWWQ
Old 12-25-16, 10:35 PM
Gerxiong89
Pole Position

I use to have MagnaFlow. It's really quiet. Depends on what you want. Here's my MagnaFlow one.
https://youtu.be/flwEJKib-7s
Old 12-26-16, 12:12 PM
BostonIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ark all day. I know budget is a restraint right now but maybe just hold off and save up for the ark full catback.

Video of my exhaust:
Old 12-26-16, 08:11 PM
KYIS350F
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dramire3
I have currently 3 options that fit my budget.

1) Apexi N1 axleback used for $375.00

2) Magnaflow axleback used for $450.00

3) muffler delete ofcourse with new tips (should be under $200)

What do you guys think is better for my budget? I am not looking for anything too aggresive. From what ive heard on youtube videos the magnaflow is deep and not that loud. Do you guys think I would be getting a deal for either of those exhaust? Thanks for your input.
In all due respect to those that have full catbacks or axlebacks, outside of "bolting on" and a slight performance advantage, I simply don't see the value in NOT deleting the mufflers. The 350 is one of the only vehicles I truly think has the perfect exhaust tone when doing so. It's an incredible deep sound with little/to no droning inside the cabin. I've heard a handful of aftermarket exhausts on the 350 and personally, nothing compares to the deep tone that deleting the mufflers offer. I loved the look of large mufflers/exhausts from the backend years ago but now find myself liking the look of larger tips; maintaining the factory look with a slight edge.

Again, just my personal opinion...

PS- if you decide to go full exhaust, Ark is hands down the best available option.

Last edited by KYIS350F; 12-27-16 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-26-16, 09:07 PM
leo877
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Here are few exhaust clips for comparison:

JoeZ axle back+ Fsport air intake:

JoeZ axle back + Invidia midpipe + Fsport air intake:

JoeZ axle back+ Invidia midpipe + Fsport air intake fly by:

JoeZ axle back + Invidia midpipe + Fsport air intake cold start:
Old 12-27-16, 12:04 AM
Gerxiong89
Pole Position

In all due respect to those that have full cutbacks or axlebacks, outside of "bolting on" and a slight performance advantage, I simply don't see the value in NOT deleting the mufflers. The 350 is one of the only vehicles I truly think has the perfect exhaust tone when doing so. It's an incredible deep sound with little/to no droning inside the cabin. I've heard a handful of aftermarket exhausts on the 350 and personally, nothing compares to the deep tone that deleting the mufflers offer. I loved the look of large mufflers/exhausts from the backend years ago but now find myself liking the look of larger tips; maintaining the factory look with a slight edge.

Again, just my personal opinion...

PS- if you decide to go full exhaust, Ark is hands down the best available option.
i agree with the muffler delete. Cheapest and good sounding on the is350.
Old 12-27-16, 07:14 AM
Dramire3
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input. Would any one recommend unbolting the mufflers for a couple days to test it out? I know its gonna be ackward without exhaust tips lol.
Old 12-27-16, 07:20 AM
KYIS350F
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dramire3
Thanks for the input. Would any one recommend unbolting the mufflers for a couple days to test it out? I know its gonna be ackward without exhaust tips lol.
Unfortunately your mufflers are welded on. You'd have to cut them off temporarily if you wanted to go the route of "testing it out". Good thing is, it would cost you next to nothing. Keep in mind, the extra inches of piping/tips will help cut back the droning you may have when "testing it out".
Old 12-27-16, 07:41 AM
Gerxiong89
Pole Position

Unfortunately your mufflers are welded on. You'd have to cut them off temporarily if you wanted to go the route of "testing it out". Good thing is, it would cost you next to nothing. Keep in mind, the extra inches of piping/tips will help cut back the droning you may have when "testing it out".
he can just unbolt it from axleback.
Old 12-27-16, 09:43 AM
Dramire3
Driver School Candidate

Thats what i was thinking. Unbolting from axle. Has anyone tried an axle back exhaust with resonator delete? I had custom magnaflow exhausts on my 07 camry v6 3.5 with resonator delete before and got a lot of compliments for it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust mod ideas?