IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Bad A/C Smell, Given the run around at Lexus, Again.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-16, 08:15 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by janterry15
I don't think you guys understand the issue I really had. The smell I had was extremely pungent. It literally smelled like a gas station public bathroom in there!

my house hold have 5 cars. 03 Camry, 08 crv, 13 Mazda 3, 06 Tacoma, and my 14 is250.

None of of my cars had that smell besides the IS. And we run the AC all the same in each car. There's something about the new Lexus AC refrigerant that mixes with the outside air that causes this issue!
my friends 14 CT200 have the same problem as my IS but her older Prius doesn't have that problem.

I've only had something similar once in my Miata but never as bad as this!
The refrigerant shouldn't mix with anything, else you have a leak. It's just a design that makes an environment for mildew to grow easier. Mine would smell moderately bad until I bought a house with a garage. Now that I garage it at night, the smell is gone. Keep it dry!
Old 12-20-16, 07:53 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

(And yes it is a common issue on the Lexus of those years cause the Ac unit closes shut when the car is off trapping bacteria and allowing it to mold and grow)
I don't think you guys understand the issue I really had. There's something about the new Lexus AC refrigerant that mixes with the outside air that causes this issue!

Last edited by Machine13; 12-20-16 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-20-16, 12:13 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itskwilson
Currently sitting in the lobby at my local Lexus Dealer waiting for my car to be looked at. I finally got around to bringing my 3IS in to get someone to check out this terrible odor coming out of my air vents when I have my heat/ac on. I've read on it before and by the looks of things, im not the only one.

I guess I'm posting this to see if anyone has found a REAL solution. I had to hold back from laughing at the service tech that just helped me. He sat here and told me, that the reason my car blows air that smells like musty old laundry is because of the AIR FRESHENER (Air Spencer Squash Casette Style thingy) I use. Yes, you read correctly. He said, quote "the smell from the air freshener mixes in with the system, with all the GLUES and PLASTICS causing the smell and I should remove my airfreshener."

Seriously?! I recently came into this dealer to have my breaks checked for the typical dreaded squeak most of us experience. I got the same answer then, just as I got now. "Oh, it's normal for these cars." Typical. After purchasing a vehicle like Lexus, at this price range, I'd expect a little more from the "professionals" instead of being told "it's normal" with every new issue I'm having.

Thanks for listening, lol any advice or tips to get this smell fixed would be greatly appreciated.
I'm going through the same thing with the brakes this week. If it's normal...someone f'd up.
Old 01-11-17, 03:14 PM
TrojanLBC
Driver School Candidate

Those that also have this problem, I've noticed that it happens most with people who leave their A/C system on "Recirculate" all the time. I know it makes your A/C get colder faster but it also keeps in that moisture in the system thus allowing mildew to accumulate. I've noticed it happening in a few cars I've owned, not just Lexus/Toyota and switching to "fresh" air circulation has helped that from happening.
Old 01-17-17, 12:32 PM
SolsticeM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by computerwi
I notice most people with these A/C odor issues are from California or Florida where is humidity is high. So, it doesn't surprise me that you have mold/mildew problems then. Not saying the system couldn't be designed better, but for most people, this is not an issue.
California
where is humidity is high
Old 01-19-17, 10:25 AM
Twinair
Driver School Candidate

I don't think you guys understand the issue I really had. The smell I had was extremely pungent. It literally smelled like a gas station public bathroom in there!

my house hold have 5 cars. 03 Camry, 08 crv, 13 Mazda 3, 06 Tacoma, and my 14 is250.

None of of my cars had that smell besides the IS. And we run the AC all the same in each car. There's something about the new Lexus AC refrigerant that mixes with the outside air that causes this issue!
my friends 14 CT200 have the same problem as my IS but her older Prius doesn't have that problem.

I've only had something similar once in my Miata but never as bad as this!
Lexus neither manufactures refrigerant which is colorless, odorless, and inside sealed systems nor do they manufacture the HVAC units. Cool, moist, dark places are breeding grounds for mildew and mold. The same thing develops in your home HVAC system. Blame mold and mildew spores not Lexus. Vehicle HVAC systems are some of the filthiest places on the panet.
Old 05-08-17, 11:35 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Shorrow77
Yup I have a IS250 14 model 12000 miles car had a horrible smell dealer verified cleaned AC system and replaced cabin air filter and these models you have to drive the car for a little while after turning off the AC to dry out the system.. how ridiculous very frustrating 4/2 in a new car also having a noise now when starting up after driving and let it sit for an hour sounds like a diesel for a few seconds. One thing after another with this car with 12000 miles is this a lemon or does Lexus really suck??�� good luck
I concur

Originally Posted by itskwilson
That was the first thing I did, helped for about 3 days then back to the smell.
Same issue with my 2015 RC-F which only has 9K miles as of now.
Old 05-08-17, 11:40 AM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm going to Lexus on Thursday for them to do a Odor treatment on my hvac system. Either your Lexus dealer can be nice or try to charge you around $150. I called Lexus customer service and they did the courtesy of crediting my account for the amount my dealer quoted me so nothing out of my pocket.
I'll let you guys know how good they're stuff is, as they claim it is...
Old 05-09-17, 01:03 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

wet a rag. let it sit without exposure to air. it will smell.

has nothing to do with lexus. as said, any and every car can do this particularly with a paper element air cleaner.

replace air filter or take it out and let it sit in the sun. this dries the filter and UV exposure will kill off any odor causing bacteria

to avoid this in future, run A/C (not just FAN but fan *AND* A/C) in recirculation mode.

You pull in moist air from the outside, park car, this is what happens

in short, make sure you use your a/c regularly, regardless of the set temperature.
Old 05-15-17, 02:37 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I turn off my compressor for the last mile, so it's not parked with a cold coil. Never had a problem.